Black Sea cruises- Ukraine/Russia problems

JB77

I was very interested in the Black Sea cruises but with the current trouble in Ukraine and potential invasion by the Russians in Sevestapol do people think changes might be made or is it a case of it's too far away date wise to tell if it will be affected?

We are already booked to do Northern Baltic in May and have provisionally booked a tour of st Petersburg but I'm already uncomfortable at the thought of getting off the ship there with all this Ukraine stuff kicking off. By getting off the ship it's saying we are ok with Russian aggression and military and economic pressure. A real dilemma as I'm desperate to see the city.

I was very interested in the Black Sea cruises but with the current trouble in Ukraine and potential invasion by the Russians in Sevestapol do people think changes might be made or is it a case of it's too far away date wise to tell if it will be affected?

The Black Sea cruises aren't until next year, I believe? Nobody knows what is happening in Sevestapol today, never mind what it will be like next year :)

Keep an eye on Foreign Office advisories though, in case you do book - could end up with problems with your travel insurance (not covering you for cancellation if there was a notice in place when you booked).

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

We are already booked to do Northern Baltic in May and have provisionally booked a tour of st Petersburg but I'm already uncomfortable at the thought of getting off the ship there with all this Ukraine stuff kicking off. By getting off the ship it's saying we are ok with Russian aggression and military and economic pressure. A real dilemma as I'm desperate to see the city.

I understand what you are saying about it from a conscientious point of view but I wouldn't give up on going to St Petersburg if you are already booked. We did it in 2012 and weren't really keen but it's one of those places you have to see for yourself. Many people rave about it.

The Black Sea cruises aren't until next year, I believe? Nobody knows what is happening in Sevestapol today, never mind what it will be like next year :)

Keep an eye on Foreign Office advisories though, in case you do book - could end up with problems with your travel insurance (not covering you for cancellation if there was a notice in place when you booked).

I know it is very early days, I suppose what I was asking is if Royal are the sort that will make alternative arrangements quite early and far out, or do they leave it until last minute and just miss a port if necessary?

...I know it is very early days, I suppose what I was asking is if Royal are the sort that will make alternative arrangements quite early and far out, or do they leave it until last minute and just miss a port if necessary?
Based on how they have treated stops in Egypt and Israel, the answer is YES. In other words, sometimes they make changes far out, and sometimes at the last minute. I know that doesn't give you a workable answer, but that is the way it is.

Thom

Based on how they have treated stops in Egypt and Israel, the answer is YES. In other words, sometimes they make changes far out, and sometimes at the last minute. I know that doesn't give you a workable answer, but that is the way it is.

Thom

It will be all down to the bottom line, being in the hands of the insurance underwriters.

Underwriters: So you want to sail to the Black Sea to the Crimea?

RCL: Yes

Underwriters: The insurance premium for the ship will now be.....

RCL: In a Yorkshire accent "how much?"

The cruise is then cancelled.;)

The Black Sea cruises start in May of this year on the Legend of the Seas.

Edited by lakelorain

I know it is very early days, I suppose what I was asking is if Royal are the sort that will make alternative arrangements quite early and far out, or do they leave it until last minute and just miss a port if necessary?

Most of the ports of call on the Black Sea cruises appear to be in Russia and Ukraine. If there is an ongoing dispute serious enough to make changes it would seem unlikely to be a question of skipping a port.

Sorry, meant Baltic Sea which goes to St. Petersburg, Russia. Still involved in the "conflict".

Not really. No more than cruises in the US would be involved in a conflict because the US is fighting in Afghanistan.

Russia must have Ukraine ports as they are the only Russian warm water ports to ship their oil. Pipelines must be preserved especially now that Syria is no longer an option. They will not allow these ports to not be Under Russian control.

Mini history lesson.

Stalin had a vision, very sick vision of control and Eastern Ukraine to it's southern ports were ground zero. Stalin just had the local population removed never to be heard from again. He replaced much of the population with Russians and supported them well for their support of Mother Russia.

The last 48 hours these Russian/Ukranians have stormed airports and public buildings in Eastern Ukraine and raised the Russian flag over Eastern Ukrain. Putin is also sabor rattling with military excercises on the boarder with Ukraine.

EU and US are calling for calm.

Things are far from quiet over there but who knows what will be happening in a few months.

Sadly. My $$$$$ is on Rootin Tootin Putin throwing everything he has to keep possession of his Ukrainian ports. He needs his oil $$$$ to pay off his Olympics debt.

Russia must have Ukraine ports as they are the only Russian warm water ports to ship their oil. Pipelines must be preserved especially now that Syria is no longer an option. They will not allow these ports to not be Under Russian control.

Mini history lesson.

Stalin had a vision, very sick vision of control and Eastern Ukraine to it's southern ports were ground zero. Stalin just had the local population removed never to be heard from again. He replaced much of the population with Russians and supported them well for their support of Mother Russia.

The last 48 hours these Russian/Ukranians have stormed airports and public buildings in Eastern Ukraine and raised the Russian flag over Eastern Ukrain. Putin is also sabor rattling with military excercises on the boarder with Ukraine.

EU and US are calling for calm.

Things are far from quiet over there but who knows what will be happening in a few months.

Sadly. My $$$$$ is on Rootin Tootin Putin throwing everything he has to keep possession of his Ukrainian ports. He needs his oil $$$$ to pay off his Olympics debt.

Wonderful and informative post. Thank you.

No Black Sea cruises this year.

Baltic cruises....why worry? It is an enormous country....it's almost like worrying about violence in San Francisco and refusing to travel to New York.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our Baltic cruise is in May and we intend on spending one day in Moscow while in port for two days at St. Petersburg. I am not worried.

We went to Egypt, Israel, and Turkey in the Fall of 2012. Everyone thought it was too dangerous, and that Royal would cancel the cruise, but they didn't and there was never a moment I felt unsafe while there. We even stayed overnight in Cairo. It was wonderful.

Our Baltic cruise is in May and we intend on spending one day in Moscow while in port for two days at St. Petersburg. I am not worried.

We went to Egypt, Israel, and Turkey in the Fall of 2012. Everyone thought it was too dangerous, and that Royal would cancel the cruise, but they didn't and there was never a moment I felt unsafe while there. We even stayed overnight in Cairo. It was wonderful.

Great post. Booked on the repo cruise Dubai to Istanbul next year via Suez Canal & Israel cannot wait! Shame though that there is no stop in Egypt.

Great post. Booked on the repo cruise Dubai to Istanbul next year via Suez Canal & Israel cannot wait! Shame though that there is no stop in Egypt.

My husband and I love to travel and part of traveling is going to new, amazing and maybe not completely safe places.

Maybe I have a sick sense of humor but when people would say that going to Egypt was dangerous, what if we were killed or captured I would reply: If I die on vacation, then know I died doing what I love to do, and if we get captured we will have a great story to tell when we get released....kind of like the story of having our motor home run into by a rhinoceros!! (true story) :D

Life is more fun if you relax and enjoy the ride! Have a great cruise voyager70!!

Edited by Desertbelle

Wow you guys are snarky today. I understand though as I can snark with the best of them.

My only concern would be if a serious conflict developed and the US and/or UK took the side of the Ukraine either with aid, moral support, sanctions, action in the UN, or (hopefully very unlikely) armed support, English speakers may not be welcome or comfortable in any Russian port.

If US invaded Canada, and France got all mad and huffy, a Frenchman would not likely have a great time in say Miami even though it's far from the conflict. Prob get his baguette shoved oh never mind.

It's terrible for the local people who were taking care of the tourist trade. Their business is basically gone........along with Egypt's most recent government.

Few will risk their pretty cruise ships filled with guests right now.

So sad. Those beautiful treasures should be shared and admired with the World.

Wow you guys are snarky today. I understand though as I can snark with the best of them.

My only concern would be if a serious conflict developed and the US and/or UK took the side of the Ukraine either with aid, moral support, sanctions, action in the UN, or (hopefully very unlikely) armed support, English speakers may not be welcome or comfortable in any Russian port.

If US invaded Canada, and France got all mad and huffy, a Frenchman would not likely have a great time in say Miami even though it's far from the conflict. Prob get his baguette shoved oh never mind.

St. Petersburg is way way away from the Ukraine. The when visiting a Russian port via cruise ship probably 99% of the Pax will not be even getting in touch with any regular russian People. You will be on a tour either ship or private organized and those tour guides want your Money, they don´t care to pi$$ you off for political reasons. The only other People you will deal with may be some souvenier vendors and they want our Money as well.

Any conflict in the Ukraine won´t even remotely affect St. Petersburg.

No Black Sea cruises this year.

Baltic cruises....why worry? It is an enormous country....it's almost like worrying about violence in San Francisco and refusing to travel to New York.

Well the piece of misinformation that started this whole diversion was posted by someone from Pennsylvania who lives near NY. There is a town of California Pennsylvania, and San Francisco is in California, so I can understand why the geographically challenged would worry.:rolleyes: Why am I reminded of stores in Alabama that sold out of ammo in 2008 when Russia invaded Georgia?