Mariner renovations - Spring 2014

chronicler

Cheers. Sadly, the link doesn't work for me - you need some Regent log in.

Have to say, it seems a pretty weird arrangement. Why would they leave a gap between balconies? It's bizarre. I'd have probably booked the same suite even I knew about that before but I'm amazed it has never been mentioned on any thread I've seen in the last 3 years.

Cheers. Sadly, the link doesn't work for me - you need some Regent log in.

Have to say, it seems a pretty weird arrangement. Why would they leave a gap between balconies? It's bizarre. I'd have probably booked the same suite even I knew about that before but I'm amazed it has never been mentioned on any thread I've seen in the last 3 years.

Sorry, I forgot that you need an account to see the photograph. Go to the main Regent website page. In the upper right corner, you'll see a link that says "REGISTER." Click on that link to create an account. Hopefully, the UK website is laid out similarly.

I'm not sure if this photo helps at all - perhaps if I'd stood on a stepladder when I took it, you could see more clearly ;-)

http://*******/1eXXcr5 (edited because the b i t . l and y of the link have been starred out for some reason.......it's a shortened link)

Edited by Gilly

We had a Seven Seas Aft suite. The balcony divider between it and the next Horizon View suite was small enough to allow a gentleman to climb around it, perfectly safely, and to come and knock on our sitting room door when he got inadvertently locked into his suite by his daughter!!! Needless to say we were more than startled. And how exactly he got locked in is beyond me. but he claimed he did.

All of which is to say that the people next door can easily look over onto your terrace. And so can the people above. Since the terrace is the best part of the entire suite this is a shame really!

Crikey! :confused: He was locked "out" of the suite, presumably, as opposed to "in" then. Sorry for the pedantry.

Thanks for all the responses - it does seem a very unusual, not to mention, questionable arrangement for a premier suite on a luxury ship. I guess we'll live with it.

I am keen to sample the Regent service, cuisine and overall experience after Royal Caribbean x 2, P & O (once) and Cunard x 3. It is a long way off but I am genuinely excited by the prospect.

Boarding has been delayed till 4.30pm thanks to refurbishment

As the Regent flight leaves London at 6am which means leaving home at 3am am not at all delighted to hear we are faced with wasting 6 hours on a tour of Nice and currently no lunch arrangements either

since theres no food on thecflight too its all rather spoiling a trip we had looked fwd too

Normally very impressed by Regent service etc but this debacle is tainting things somewhat

Boarding has been delayed till 4.30pm thanks to refurbishment

As the Regent flight leaves London at 6am which means leaving home at 3am am not at all delighted to hear we are faced with wasting 6 hours on a tour of Nice and currently no lunch arrangements either

since theres no food on thecflight too its all rather spoiling a trip we had looked fwd too

Normally very impressed by Regent service etc but this debacle is tainting things somewhat

Seriously? Boarding 3-4 hours later than normal, which Regent has let you know about well in advance, is a "debacle"? Paying for lunch on your own before boarding a 10-day cruise, for which you have paid upwards of $12,000 (US), should not "spoil a trip"! You could have a day of bad weather, you might even miss a port of call, tours might be delayed by a late customs inspection in some port... Cruising requires being able to roll with some changes and sometimes minor inconveniences; if you feel that a small change in boarding time will ruin your cruise, that's unfortunate, and I worry that you'll always find things to be unhappy about on your cruise.

Eric

I have to agree with Eric. This change is not a debaucle of the magnitude to ruin an entire cruise. Our first time embarking in Monte Carlo, there was a transit workers strike scheduled for the next day in France. So our Marseilles stop was completely cancelled. Just a change in plans of the sort that happens lots in cruising.

Since you will be in Nice, there are dozens of excellent restaurants to choose from for lunch. In fact, we generally embark later than usual in Monte Carlo in order to have lunch off the ship prior to embarkation. You will not lack for choice of excellent food for lunch.

To enjoy cruising, you do have to be able to kind of go with the flow. Otherwise you are going spend precious time being pretty unhappy and dissatisfied.

• 2 weeks later...
Going with the flow is one thing

Getting up at 3 am for flight and being stuck on a coach for 6 hours instead of being able to board and eat a leisurely lunch and relax on board is quite another

We have found that Regent always tries to fly us into European ports from LHR to arrive early morning - this would mean us getting up at 4 am too and waiting to board (or to check-in at pre-cruise hotel if we're in concierge) but we have never had a problem getting them to put us on a later flight - as long as BA has one from LHR or LGW of course. If they can't we do our own flights and take the rebate.

We have found that Regent always tries to fly us into European ports from LHR to arrive early morning - this would mean us getting up at 4 am too and waiting to board (or to check-in at pre-cruise hotel if we're in concierge) but we have never had a problem getting them to put us on a later flight - as long as BA has one from LHR or LGW of course. If they can't we do our own flights and take the rebate.

Great suggestion

Just call the air desk and ask to go on a later flight due to the delay in boarding

On re-reading the previous post, more carefully, (from Hambaghle), I guess that the "locked in" claim was perplexing.

For some reason the daughter had gone off somewhere and locked the door. the gentleman could not figure out how to open it. (I have no idea why!) so he climbed around the divider and onto our terrace. And asked Ken to let him out into the hallway.

So he was "locked IN" not out. He could have stayed happily in the suite and chose not to.

I found the entire thing more than bizarre! And perhaps he wanted to see our suite or perhaps his brain wasn't functioning too well... who knows! We never will.

For some reason the daughter had gone off somewhere and locked the door. the gentleman could not figure out how to open it. (I have no idea why!) so he climbed around the divider and onto our terrace. And asked Ken to let him out into the hallway.

So he was "locked IN" not out. He could have stayed happily in the suite and chose not to.

I found the entire thing more than bizarre! And perhaps he wanted to see our suite or perhaps his brain wasn't functioning too well... who knows! We never will.

Most strange. Guess he never heard of the in room telephone.

Hi all, this was posted on RSSC's blog this past week - highlighting all of the changes coming our way! We're taking the Papeete - Auckland South Pacific Discovery 18 night cruise this December and can't wait!

On April 7, 2014, Seven Seas Mariner® will debut her stunning new look and upgraded amenities. Upon completion of her multi-million dollar refurbishment, the all-suite, all-balcony ship will—with her sister ships Seven Seas Voyager® and Seven Seas Navigator®—redefine superlatives as the most luxurious and stylish ships afloat.

Highlights of the transformation include:

• Upper suites (Grand, Master, Mariner, Seven Seas, Horizons and Penthouse Suites) will boast all-new furniture, upholstery, lighting and wall coverings. Each will feature sophisticated, timeless décor with new sofas and chairs, new dining tables, new lamps and accent lighting. Rich, luxurious fabrics have been chosen to give each category of suite their own unique look and character.
  • The Stars Lounge will feature a new stone-topped bar that anchors the room and the décor of plum, smoky-grey, gold, black and cream creates a subdued yet plush and elegant atmosphere. Rich woolen carpets, supple leather, dark hardwood paneling and hammered-copper accents will create an air of distinction, taste and elegance.
  • Horizons, the ship’s nightclub and bar, will receive a distinctive new stone-fronted bar, chic new furnishings, tony carpeting, lustrous wall coverings, and new lighting throughout while the Mariner Lounge will be reconfigured with a spacious “open” floor plan and feature a new bar, new stone flooring, lamps, and tables.
  • The Observation Lounge will sport a stunning new décor of rich ivory, ebony and wine tones. A dramatic new back-lit bar serves as the room’s centerpiece which offers sweeping 270 degree views.
  • The Canyon Ranch SpaClub® receives new steam rooms, new stone flooring in reception area, refurbished changing rooms and the Fitness Center will be equipped with brand new state-of-the-art equipment.
  • The exterior decks and al fresco lounges will receive just as much as attention as the interior spaces. New teak will be installed on the balconies of all 350 suites and teak decking in common areas will be re-surfaced and re-finished to brand-new condition. The Pool Deck, as well as the ship’s outdoor relaxation areas will be furnished with brand new resort furniture and stylish accents. The Pool Grill and La Veranda also received eye-catching upgrades with new mosaic tiling, new wall coverings draperies, lighting and awnings.
  • The ship’s two-deck high, state-of-the-art show theatre will be rejuvenated with new carpeting, all new upholstery, wall coverings, cocktail tables, wall sconces, banquettes and chairs.

The multi-million dollar investment in the refurbishment of Seven Seas Mariner is a testament to Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ ongoing commitment to deliver the most inclusive luxury cruise experience. This dramatic transformation is part of a comprehensive upgrade program that began in October with Seven Seas Voyager. By the beginning of this summer, each ship will boast dramatic, stunning new interiors and refreshed exterior decks, and suites will have received new décor with custom-crafted elegant furnishings, while lounges and public spaces will exude a renewed sense of style and elegance.

Terrific, many thanks.

Fortunately, a poster on our roll call had also spotted this & duly posted it. Just surprises me that it is so hard to find. If you google "SS Mariner spring 2014 refit" you get.......... absolutely nothing. Not sure why Regent want this to be such a big secret.

Anyway, just over a year to wait now. Really looking forward to our first venture on a Regent ship.

Sounds like a very dubious and indeed suspicious excuse. Good reason to make sure we lock the sliding door...

Are you sure the passenger wasn't locked out of his cabin while he was on the balcony? If the daughter locked the balcony door, he wouldn't have been able to get back into the cabin.

This scenario was posted live on CC a few weeks ago. The steward locked the balcony door while the passenger was outside.