Back from 11 nights on CENTURY

Lois R

We're relative newbies to cruising, and our upcoming Alaska cruise on Century will be our first on X. On Royal, we were in a suite and loved having the Concierge Lounge for specialty coffees, a quite place to read, etc. Is there anything similar on Century? (We'll be in a CC category.) Also, on Royal, we were able to have our breakfasts and lunches in one of the specialty restaurants, just off the buffet; we could bring in food from the regular buffet (which my kids liked), but there was a small buffet and food cooked-to-order in the restaurant, too. (My favourite part was simply getting my morning tea in a teapot, rather than a mug as at the buffet! It was a little thing, but I liked it a lot.) Again, anything similar on Century for CC categories?

Thanks,

Melanie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

We're relative newbies to cruising, and our upcoming Alaska cruise on Century will be our first on X. On Royal, we were in a suite and loved having the Concierge Lounge for specialty coffees, a quite place to read, etc. Is there anything similar on Century? (We'll be in a CC category.)

Thanks,

Melanie

There are many perks as well if you stay in certain suite categories but nothing similar for CC. There is a concierge lounge called Michael's but it is for senior suites and Century suites only (plus Zenith cruisers similar to Pinnacle). There is a big difference between sailing on a large RCI ship and Century regarding choice of dining venues.

I was also on this cruise. For the first three days I had an aft family veranda cabin on deck 9 (9245). It is a larger cabin and had a large veranda. However, I did not like the cabin. There was a lot of noise (door slamming, etc) and the thrusters threw me out of bed each morning as we docked. The mattress was dreadful, and due to the positioning of the bed there is no bedside table. I had this type cabin because I booked so late that it was the only veranda available.

I was lucky enough to move to a Sky Suite on deck 10 for the 8 day cruise. Definitely larger balcony and much better mattress. Elite breakfasts were in the Crystal Room.

It was a great cruise, but I would have been unhappy if I had to spend 11 days in the aft family veranda cabin.

Carolyn

We were on the Mercury several years ago and had the family size ov cabin (before they retrofitted them with a balcony). We absolutely loved that room but agree with you that the thrusters would just pop you out of bed in the morning. The place where they tuck the mattress is also a bit odd -- the one by the wall could not get up to go to the bathroom at night....that's for sure. We were right next to the door out onto the back deck and didn't notice any door slamming but also were the only ones ever out there. I loved it but agree it is not for everyone....maybe not even for me anymore but it was great at that time.

Hi....I guess I just never noticed the worn chairs but I guess Arno

did.

I went to the Elite some mornings but not every day. I suppose when

you are on a very long sailing you notice things more?

Melaine, Century is doesn't have alot of Dining venues. She was built

back in 1995 so long before the floating cities of today.

Cova Cafe is one of my most favorite places.:) The staff there is

wonderful (in my opinion)

Tommy, I am sure the service in Michael's is over the top as they

are catering to the highest end cruisers....but I had excellent service

while on board for the 11 days:) and that will have to do since I will

never reach the Zenith Category.

Melanie, we are going on the same cruise in August:) one of my recent

cruisemates is hoping to go as well:D....see you on that roll call;)

Hi Lois,

Glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise on the Century. We did 15 nights on her for Xmas/New Years, and will make a return visit in April for a California Coastal cruise. We too, loved everything Century, except maybe our cabin was a bit warm up on deck 12.

I was expecting to get an updated Century in April, but it seems they will leave her be until she heads to her new home next year. I'm okay with the old Century and expect to have a great time!

Talk to you soon,

Kel:)

PS -- we are moving down to deck 9 for better A/C output.

Here goes, first post ever but have been lurking for months! Booked on our first ever cruise on century for Alaska on June 15th 2014 for our 25th anniversary in a cc cabin. Have got so much information off everyone but just a few questions if people don't mind. What is the format for breakfast and lunch, do you just decide where and when at the time and go along and wait? Did think we might have breakfast in our cabin once or twice, as on a premium drinks package is your coffee and juice included or do you have to pay as coming via room service? Have got pre paid gratuities so what is the normal amount to tip for room service? Is there a limit to how much you can drink per day on a package, not planning to go over the top but did't know if a limit. Have got a five night speciality dining package am I right that will always be in murano's as the only speciality restaurant, got a time for the first night, but definitely want to eat in there on the third night as that will be our anniversary, do we just arrange the times for the other nights once on board.

We are so excited as have talked about this trip for the last 2 years and really enjoy reading about everyone's experience, we chose the century because it seems she has a bit more character than some of the modern ships even if looking slightly worn, maybe a bit like us :)

Any other tips for a couple of complete novices always welcome.

Emma

Lois, thanks so much for posting this thread. She is my favorite ship, so sad to hear she is leaving X. It has been over 3 years since we were on the Century, but please indulge my comments. My late husband and I renewed our wedding vows for our 25th anniversary on this classy ship. Maybe it was the occasion. but to us everything was perfect about her! This cruise was just a few months before he got sick and it is one of my most precious memories.

1653946_590715451019628_2132504346_n.jpg.acd22acfb693e532a692c1e7bd7eda38.jpg

561773_440901982615870_574559544_n.jpg.bd1b38ef47c94b757a77e525a90ea4c0.jpg

523232_330926030331906_1563955562_n.jpg.99ed92584f39b8bf49e74467fd07ac1d.jpg

487537_440902605949141_601088274_n.jpg.bf4b10440ebc48a087bba707f6669411.jpg

Lois, thanks so much for posting this thread. She is my favorite ship, so sad to hear she is leaving X. It has been over 3 years since we were on the Century, but please indulge my comments. My late husband and I renewed our wedding vows for our 25th anniversary on this classy ship. Maybe it was the occasion. but to us everything was perfect about her! This cruise was just a few months before he got sick and it is one of my most precious memories.

Hi...beautiful photos and glad the memories are good ones:)

My condolences to you......

Here goes, first post ever but have been lurking for months! Booked on our first ever cruise on century for Alaska on June 15th 2014 for our 25th anniversary in a cc cabin. Have got so much information off everyone but just a few questions if people don't mind. What is the format for breakfast and lunch, do you just decide where and when at the time and go along and wait? Did think we might have breakfast in our cabin once or twice, as on a premium drinks package is your coffee and juice included or do you have to pay as coming via room service? Have got pre paid gratuities so what is the normal amount to tip for room service? Is there a limit to how much you can drink per day on a package, not planning to go over the top but did't know if a limit. Have got a five night speciality dining package am I right that will always be in murano's as the only speciality restaurant, got a time for the first night, but definitely want to eat in there on the third night as that will be our anniversary, do we just arrange the times for the other nights once on board.

We are so excited as have talked about this trip for the last 2 years and really enjoy reading about everyone's experience, we chose the century because it seems she has a bit more character than some of the modern ships even if looking slightly worn, maybe a bit like us :)

Any other tips for a couple of complete novices always welcome.

Emma

Hi Emma:) welcome to Cruise Critic and to the wonderful world of

cruising:D

Breakfast/lunch....you may have room service, the buffet is open,

the Aqua Spa Cafe is also open and on sea days the dining room is

open. I love the Aqua Spa Cafe and ate quite a few lunches there.

The drink package does not apply to room service. Tipping for

room service?..I usually give a dollar or 2. (That is up to you).

There is no limit on the amount of drinks on the package. The bartenders/wait staff will ask for your cards though.

Murano is the only Specialty restuarant on board. I went twice and

both times were delicous:D....go see the Maitr'd after you board and

figure out the times that are open and such.....or since you are eating

there on the first night you can speak with him at that point.

Enjoy the cruise and the ship....she does have character:)

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Melanie, we are going on the same cruise in August:) one of my recent

cruisemates is hoping to go as well:D....see you on that roll call;)

I'm there!

Hi Lois thank you for the answers, the mentioned the buffet and on sea days the dining room, where is the buffet situated, or is that in the dining room but on sea days it is more formal? Hope you don't mind all the questions

Hi Lois thank you for the answers, the mentioned the buffet and on sea days the dining room, where is the buffet situated, or is that in the dining room but on sea days it is more formal? Hope you don't mind all the questions

Hi Emma, nope, don't mind helping at all:)

OK..the buffet for lunch is located upstairs, deck 11.

There is usually 1 brunch which is usually held on the last sea day

in the main dining room.

The other days (sea days) the dining room is open for lunch and you

order off the menu. It is closed for lunch on port days.

But no, lunch is not formal...whatever you are wearing during the day

is what you would wear for lunch. For Alaska? It would probably be

jeans/pants and long sleeves.:)

Edited by Lois R

Thank you for sharing your lovely photos, it looks like a special moment, hope I haven't made you sad and that you can remember the happiness you shared x

It was incredible and I am very thankful for the memories!

I can't believe I have now been home for a week:eek:.

I forgot to mention the CC gathering....there were probably 150 people

in attendance and it was held in the Crystal Room. Host Andy was the

MC and gave out about a dozen gifts.....(raffle tickets were handed

out).

out).

Lois -- don't know if you are still interested in posting there, but I finally located our "other" thread. It had fallen off page one -- think I was able to resurrect it this morning. :cool:

out).

Yes -- Andy -- thank you so much for bringing the prizes. We enjoyed watching the raffle, even though we didn't win (maybe next time ;)). I just wish that they had given us more time for such a large group event. :rolleyes:

Lois -- don't know if you are still interested in posting there, but I finally located our "other" thread. It had fallen off page one -- think I was able to resurrect it this morning. :cool: