Legend Debarkation/Tampa fog

asylum575

We cruised out of Tampa years ago in February and were warned about delays on return due to fog.

We are booked on the Legend in June. Is the fog an issue all year or just certain times of year?

We are trying to figure out which flight to book for our return.

Sorry if this has been covered. I can't use the search function.

not to get too technical, but fog occurs when the temperature and dew point are within 4 degrees of each other. fog is basically a cloud at ground level. because the temperatures in florida in june are very warm, the possibility of fog is almost nil.

it COULD happen, but the odds are very, very low.

a hurricane is also possible in june, but also unlikely as the peak season is september.

you have a 99%'chance of good weather in my opinion.

Tampa is our FAVORITE port for sail away, you can look right down the runway of Peter O Knight airport, and sailing under the bridge a few hours later is spectacular. it looks like you barely fit under it!

Cruised from Tampa in mid November....our ship was late 8 hours and we didn't get on until 7:00 pm , coming back we were late not getting in until 1:00 pm .

Best thing to do for Tampa is stay the night after the cruise or book a later flight.

We called carnival (and later found the info on their website) because there was a cheap 11:55am flight. They said anything after 11:30 is safe, no mention of fog. Of course a week later I stumble across chatter about tampa and it's fog issues. Five tickets..... $100 a piece change fees.... Praying for no fog on our return!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We're having fog issues lately because the temps are changing from 30's - 50's at night to the 70's and 80's during the day. The water temps in the bay and gulf haven't quite caught up.

You should be ok in June. There are other meteorological things to worry about then....

Yes, fog issues here are not too common, and generally more of a winter problem when there is any fog. That said, this year has been unusually foggy, due to our colder than normal winter. By June there won't be any significant fog concerns.

I wonder if there are any sites which track fog/weather problems at ports?

Having been in the Tampa bay area a long time, I can say we are very sensitive to weather in the bay. In 1980 there were 2 disasters. The Coast Guard buoy tender Blackthorn collided with a freighter and sank, with a loss of 20+ crew. Later, the original Skyway was hit by a freighter taking down one of the spans. Several cars and a bus went into the water with 35 deaths. That accident is what prompted the building of the current bridge, with a much larger span and large bumpers to protect the support structures.

So I don't mind when I hear that port traffic is delayed because of weather conditions. Safety first!