Noordam Feb 7-28

CruiserBruce

Just got back from this Noordam Collector's Cruise. Having sailed HAL 8 times, and given the wealth of info on this board, I will keep the general review very short, and comment on some of the interesting incidents.

Overall, Noordam is in great shape. The food was very good, service great to excellent. Entertainment was all new since last Summer's cruise on Eurodam, and was very good. "Droom" ( a major production) and the BB King All Stars were highlights.

The Cabana area added to Noordam is great. EXTREMELY spacious. We had some windy days, otherwise the investment in the Retreat Cabana was a smart one. The staff works very hard for you, granting virtually every wish. Now if only a few pax who missed the memo on the definition of "Private"...

Many drills for staff. Probably as the staff knew the Coast Guard and USPH was doing a full tilt inspection, including lifeboat drills, on the St Thomas port stop. Lots of urgent running around going on.

And one "real one"! At a little after 11pm one night, the fire alarm sounded. The (female) duty officer announced a fire and smoke in the Lido Kitchen area, and staff were to go to their emergency stations. But no directions for pax. Many just waited for directions, which followed very quickly, calmly and fully explained by the Captain. But a few were seen standing in the Hallways with life vests on. We stepped out on to our balcony, only to observe our neighbor smoking a cigarette.

Turned out to be an electrical fire in an outlet. Handled quickly, and all was back to normal very quickly. Handled very well, very professionally, by the crew.

A crew member missed the sail away from Dominica, by about 50 yards. She calmly waved down the pilot boat, which was also transporting longshoremen from the remote locations the ship ties up to. After some confusing communications (by hand signals) the pilot boat transported her to the ship.

Made both stops at HMC- we are now 8 for 8 making it to HMC. However, the second stop was a rough as possible, and the Captain even held off for an hour. However, we made it ashore. The wind/wave combo was out of the west, and had been eating away the beach for a couple of days. But with the waves, the water was warmer than our previous visit, and made for some very fun swimming. Enjoyed this visit perhaps more than any other, even though we missed an hour or so.

Our first visit was with N. Amsterdam. Honestly, it wasn't a disaster having two ships. Yes, more crowded. But certainly not a problem.

More later, and if anybody has questions..

Just got back from this Noordam Collector's Cruise. Having sailed HAL 8 times, and given the wealth of info on this board, I will keep the general review very short, and comment on some of the interesting incidents. ...

Does the Noordam still have a string quartet/trio?

Just got back from this Noordam Collector's Cruise. Having sailed HAL 8 times, and given the wealth of info on this board, I will keep the general review very short, and comment on some of the interesting incidents.

Thanks for the rev CruiserBruce. I understand this itinerary is composed of a 10 day ABC island itin and 11 days to other islands like St.Maarten, St.Lucia, Brbados, etc. which leg have you enjoyed the most or were they equally attractive ?

Also if you had a balcony, did you get enough use out of your cabana ? We are considering booking the 11 days itin for 2015, we're thinking if we book a balcony, then maybe no need for Cabana( practically).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the rev CruiserBruce. I understand this itinerary is composed of a 10 day ABC island itin and 11 days to other islands like St.Maarten, St.Lucia, Brbados, etc. which leg have you enjoyed the most or were they equally attractive ?

Also if you had a balcony, did you get enough use out of your cabana ? We are considering booking the 11 days itin for 2015, we're thinking if we book a balcony, then maybe no need for Cabana( practically).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are correct on the route. The second half- the 11 days- had more new ports for us, so maybe a slight lean in favor of that one. However, it is a very slight lean.

We spent every spare minute between 9am and 5pm in our cabana, when we weren't ashore, or doing other activities. But we spent a lot of other time on our balcony, when arriving or departing a port, after dinner, etc. So the two aren't exclusive. DW will never cruise w/o a balcony, even when we have a cabana, which is also required when the ship has them. We are on Statendam in November, w/o cabanas. DW has already said we will be spending a lot more time on our balcony.

Thanks for your review. Dh and I will be cruising on the Noordam in June. This will be the first ship we've been on with cabanas available. My question has probably been answered on other threads, but how do we go about reserving a cabana? I assume that should be done BEFORE the cruise starts. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Thanks for your review. Dh and I will be cruising on the Noordam in June. This will be the first ship we've been on with cabanas available. My question has probably been answered on other threads, but how do we go about reserving a cabana? I assume that should be done BEFORE the cruise starts. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Contact Ship's Services. You will be given to the person that handles the bookings for Noordam. Yes, you should book in advance.

Nice to hear you had a good time on NODM Bruce! Take care and be safe bud!

Hey John- your brothers in arms were pretty active on this cruise. Saw them ask a women to remove her sun glasses to make sure she matched her picture in one case, saw them stop another lady because she happened to have her husband's card in another case, and a couple of other notable interactions. They were obviously paying attention.

Hey John- your brothers in arms were pretty active on this cruise. Saw them ask a women to remove her sun glasses to make sure she matched her picture in one case, saw them stop another lady because she happened to have her husband's card in another case, and a couple of other notable interactions. They were obviously paying attention.

Tim runs a tight ship Bruce; I'll see him in two weeks ;)

Will you be on the NDam John?

To the OP, I would love to know what "Private" means. Did someone mistake this for a clothing-optional area?

We've never had a cabana before. Does anyone have any comments on them for a TA.

Will you be on the NDam John?

To the OP, I would love to know what "Private" means. Did someone mistake this for a clothing-optional area?

We've never had a cabana before. Does anyone have any comments on them for a TA.

"Private" means the area is for the use of the people who have rented a cabana. There are many signs that say so. Some days the flow of people passing thru, many of whom had to stop and look into occupied cabanas, reached commute hour traffic proportions.

We were on the Noordam February 7, 2014, 10-day sailing. We had the Sorrento cabana and enjoyed it immensely. We reserved it originally as we had only reserved an outside stateroom, but took an upsell to a veranda stateroom. We spent much more time in the cabana than on the veranda. I would book another cabana in a heartbeat, but only not the Lido cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Eurodam.

For those interested in booking a cabana I would suggest that you reserve an aft-facing cabana as there is more air flow.

"Private" means the area is for the use of the people who have rented a cabana. There are many signs that say so. Some days the flow of people passing thru, many of whom had to stop and look into occupied cabanas, reached commute hour traffic proportions.

There was one couple who was just determined to watch one of the sailawAys from up there, going so far as to go into the cabana for a better look at the view.

I agree, too many Lookie-Loos coming through.

Thebes,

We have sailed both of Noordam's itineraries a number of times. I don't think you go wrong with either but we particularly love the Dutch islands so if I had to pick, I'd say Aruba, Bonairem Curacao as first choice. Most people who like the Caribbean enjoy both of those itineraries.