Royal Carribean or Carnival- Opinions?

Prinycesa07

Love NCL. Went on CCL for the first time last year and RCI this year. Like CCL better although we did like our RCI cruise. The Splendor is a bigger ship and might have more features. The ice show on RCI was amazing. The RCI itinerary is also better. I didn't know they had a ship that did Bermuda and the Caribbean. Hahaha I have a hard enough time picking my own cruises to pick someone else's. Have an amazing time whichever you choose.

The Explorer is the bigger ship (almost 75 ft longer and 15 decks) and has many more features than Splendor for both children and adults.

Pam

Curious as to your opinions.

We love Carnival. Tried Norwegian once and wasnt a big fan, came back to Carnival. However, now with Royal Carribean's awesome kids sail free sale we have the opportunity to try them out. Which would you choose?

8 night Carnival Splendor to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay & Nassau

9 night Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, St Marteen, San Juan & Labadee

Price is the same. It would be my husband, myself and our 2 kids if that would make any difference (They are 3 and 4). Has anyone been on both ships? Any opinion on them? Are there things to do on the Royal Carribean itinerary that don't involve travel as we wouldn't have carseats. Mostly looking for beach days which I know Grand Turk and HMC are.

Any opinions appreciated :D

p.s. The extra day isn't a selling point to us as IMO 9 days seems kind of long with 2 toddlers. But not a deal breaker either.

So glad I read this thread. I didn't know about the RCCL promotion. Looking know for a cruise!

We love Carnival. Tried Norwegian once and wasnt a big fan, came back to Carnival. However, now with Royal Carribean's awesome kids sail free sale we have the opportunity to try them out. Which would you choose?

Price is the same. It would be my husband, myself and our 2 kids if that would make any difference (They are 3 and 4). Has anyone been on both ships? Any opinion on them? Are there things to do on the Royal Carribean itinerary that don't involve travel as we wouldn't have carseats. Mostly looking for beach days which I know Grand Turk and HMC are.

p.s. The extra day isn't a selling point to us as IMO 9 days seems kind of long with 2 toddlers. But not a deal breaker either.

I have not been on the Splendor, but I have been on the Explorer. While in general, Carnival is my preferred cruise line, I would pick the Explorer. There is a kids pool area at the aft of the ship perfect for the age of your children. I really enjoyed the promenade on this ship, and there is a colorful parade one evening. Your small kids may also enjoy ice skating and roller blading. I like the 4 ports you listed, and here are some activities you could do without needing car seats:

Bermuda if BEAUTIFUL: The public buses cover the entire island, and if you are uncomfortable with the buses, you can take the ferry to Hamilton or St. George. Horseshoe Bay (need to take a bus) is amazing and your kids would probably love exploring over near the rocks. There is also a small manmade beach near the dock in which you could walk (I forget the name of it). I have a detailed picture review of our Explorer cruise to Bermuda (without our kids):http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728780

Horseshoe Bay:

IMG_5086.jpg

P1060935.jpg

St. Marteen: you can take the water taxi over to Great Bay Beach. I also have a detailed review of our cruise which included St. Marteen, beginning post #13: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584851

Great Bay Beach

P1040809.jpg

P1040802.jpg

San Juan: This may be the toughest port for little tikes. Old San Juan typically involves a lot of walking in the heat. There is also a public bus system that goes in a loop of Old San Juan with stops at the forts.

Labadee: Royal Caribbean private beach. This will be a similar experience as HMC

The Splendor itinerary has only 3 ports. Yes, HMC & Grand Turk will be easy for little kids, but I am not sure about Nassau. The cruise ship dock is located in down town Nassau. I know they have a public bus system, but it is geared for locals, and you would have to research as to how utilize the public bus system. Junkanoo Beach is a short walk from the dock, but I am not sure it will be well suited for little children.

Mpcaruth- WOW! Thank you so much for going through the trouble to be so helpful! I truly appreciate it! Im def leaning toward Explorer after this thread. DH is leaning towards Splendor. He is brand loyal. He also loves sea day brunch, a seaside movie theater and HMC. But i'm going to plead my case. Nothing wrong with trying something new! Thank you again!

The Royal itinerary is awesome, honestly. Nassau is the Trenton, NJ of the Caribbean so not going isn't a huge deal. Been on Explorer twice, possibly my favorite ship. Haven't been on Splendor.

Labadee is one of the best "private" cruise line areas there is. Great beach day there. Love it. Sailaway from Labadee is spectacular (probably not a major consideration, but it IS spectacular). Old San Juan is awesome, who could not enjoy themselves there? St. Maarten is great for beaches or touring. And I've love to make it to Bermuda one day; a Caribbean itinerary WITH Bermuda is pretty rare honestly. 9 days is about the max you can stretch a vacation and still have it be relatively work friendly as far as time off.

To be honest, I'd take Royal for the itinerary first and foremost. Being that pricing is similar, it's a total no-brainer. If you have to actually drive into and park in NYC that could be a budget buster as well...And I have no reservations recommending Explorer.

The Royal itinerary is awesome, honestly. Nassau is the Trenton, NJ of the Caribbean so not going isn't a huge deal. Been on Explorer twice, possibly my favorite ship. Haven't been on Splendor.

Labadee is one of the best "private" cruise line areas there is. Great beach day there. Love it. Sailaway from Labadee is spectacular (probably not a major consideration, but it IS spectacular). Old San Juan is awesome, who could not enjoy themselves there? St. Maarten is great for beaches or touring. And I've love to make it to Bermuda one day; a Caribbean itinerary WITH Bermuda is pretty rare honestly. 9 days is about the max you can stretch a vacation and still have it be relatively work friendly as far as time off.

To be honest, I'd take Royal for the itinerary first and foremost. Being that pricing is similar, it's a total no-brainer. If you have to actually drive into and park in NYC that could be a budget buster as well...And I have no reservations recommending Explorer.

If you park in the NYC terminal it's $40 per day and Cape Liberty (Bayonne) is $19 a day.

Forgot to add also that RCL DOES serve lunch in the main dining room on sea days.

Another vote here for Explorer!

Pam

I haven't been on those ships but have been to all the ports you mentioned except Labadee. I LOVE all the ports. However, I would choose the Splendor because of Half Moon Cay it is absolutely beautiful you would not want to leave. Grand Turk and Nassau also both have beautiful water. So if you prefer the beach choose the Splendor.

OP - /\ agree, Half Moon Cay is strikingly beautiful. Our favorite private island. If they offered a cruise with a double dip there, I'd book it in a flash! A cabana is true a luxury and purchasing FTTF should give you dibs on tender to the island.

We rarely miss the aqua-adventure area @ Nassau, typically booked reasonably via a day room @ Choice Suites.

Edited by keishashadow

If you park in the NYC terminal it's $40 per day and Cape Liberty (Bayonne) is $19 a day.

Forgot to add also that RCL DOES serve lunch in the main dining room on sea days.

Another vote here for Explorer!

Pam

You can also find discount parking in Bayonne with shuttle service to the pier

Just wanted to thank everyone again! We still have not decided. We actually are leaning more towards Norwegian now that kids sail free there as well. We tried NCL once 4 yrs ago & didn't love it but are wiling to try again on the Breakaway. Price is $430 cheaper than both Royal & carnival. Cannot decide. Sigh. Thanks for all the help :)

We sailed the breakaway out of NYC in September and it was hands down the best vacation we have taken. My 5 year old loved it and is still talking about to this day.

We have cruised mostly NCL, and have tried Royal and Princess.

We are sailing disney in a few weeks for the 1st time and Carnival in August for the 1st time.

The breakaway has a great kids area at the pool and so much to do. If you are sailing to Bermuda there is a small man made beach walking distance from the pier. You don't have to worry about car seats etc.

Good luck choosing! Happy sailing:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What is the ship/itinerary on NCL?

You'll have a good time on either Splendor or Explorer.

If price is the same, I would choose Explorer over Splendor. The ports are better and you get an extra night. Labadee is a beach day. You can also do a beach day in Bermuda, and St. Marteen. Horseshoe Bay is outstanding and St. Marteen has some good beaches. There is also a beach near the ship in both ports. The entertainment is also better on the Explorer. The children will enjoy the parades and ice show.

I'm shocked to see Bermuda included with other ports. It isn't close to St. Marteen, San Juan, or Haiti. (It isn't even close to Nassau Bahamas.)

St. Marteen, San Juan, Haiti (+ St. Thomas or Nassau) would be a more normal route to expect.

I don't like the idea of adding Bermuda to the mix.

That would the the equivalent (IN MY OPINION) of going from Buffalo to Plattsburgh, then to NYC - not something I would plan.

I grew up in Puerto Rico, and after spending a week there with our 4 and 2 year old kids in January, the biggest concern for the OP might actually be narrowing it down to which activity to choose on such limited amount of time.

Even if the OP chooses to stay in Old San Juan to keep things simple, there are several things to keep the family busy. Some of our favorite things to do there with children include taking the trolley around the old town, walking along Paseo La Princesa to the Raices fountain, working our way down Calle del Cristo, visiting Parque de las Palomas and feeding the hundreds of pigeons that call the park home (don't freak out, probably every Puertorican child living in the island has done this. TIP: the pigeons prefer peanuts over crushed corn, both which are sold at the park), and walking up to the grounds preceding the entrance to the San Felipe del Morro Castle. Kite flying on these grounds is a very popular family activity for local families. Inexpensive and easy to assemble kites can be purchased nearby.

Obviously, there are many other things to do if the OP has more time and is willing to explore beyond Old San Juan, including Luquillo Beach, the Rio Camuy Caverns (easy to explore since there's little walking involved) and the El Yunque Rainforest (which can be explored without getting out of the car).

There are tons of other things to do, but they would require a full week there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am so excited to do some old San Juan things..have done the gorgeous forts and Bacardi factory..so thanks again for always putting in fun 2 cents.

I am not against Carnival one bit..i had a bad last cruise with them but have heard enough good reports since and go by each ship's reports too..go by the ship..and they have special unique things and are usually the least expensive. But all things considered, I believe that..RCCL and Princess..(to speak in their group fairly) are a little step up and may offer just a bit more calm for the family and fun to try everything...not saying i do not like Carnival..just like trying all at same price and no tender with the babies and just a little step up in ambiance with a lot still catered to famly...sounds good...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I'm shocked to see Bermuda included with other ports. It isn't close to St. Marteen, San Juan, or Haiti. (It isn't even close to Nassau Bahamas.)

St. Marteen, San Juan, Haiti (+ St. Thomas or Nassau) would be a more normal route to expect.

I don't like the idea of adding Bermuda to the mix.

That would the the equivalent (IN MY OPINION) of going from Buffalo to Plattsburgh, then to NYC - not something I would plan.

It does add some sailing distance, but (IMO), Bermuda is a welcome change to the standard St. Thomas or Nassau stops that can become tiring.

What is the ship/itinerary on NCL?

You'll have a good time on either Splendor or Explorer.

If price is the same, I would choose Explorer over Splendor. The ports are better and you get an extra night. Labadee is a beach day. You can also do a beach day in Bermuda, and St. Marteen. Horseshoe Bay is outstanding and St. Marteen has some good beaches. There is also a beach near the ship in both ports. The entertainment is also better on the Explorer. The children will enjoy the parades and ice show.

NCL is on the breakaway. 7 night to Port Canaveral, little stirrup cay (I think that was the name- their private island) & Nassau. So not the best itinerary but the ship & price difference are pulling me. We are booking tonight and I feel like it will be up to a coin toss LOL!

Again, Bermuda is a rare port to get on a Caribbean cruise. I'd love to run that itinerary. Even ignoring Bermuda the RCI itinerary is still great.

If spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, I wouldn't save a few hundred bucks by taking the WAY inferior NCL itinerary. Don't forget, a good portion of your savings is going to get sucked up in costs of traveling to and parking in NYC versus NJ. How often can you travel? Isn't your vacation time limited and you want your vacation dollars to buy the best possible experience within reason and budget?

You have a 50:50 shot of making the tender port with NCL, leaving you with Port Canaveral and Nassau. This is no where even close to comparable to either the Carnival OR RCI itinerary. The RCI Itinerary, again my opinion, is the clear winner here.

If Carnival had the RCI itinerary, I'd take Carnival. If NCL had the RCI itinerary, I'd take NCL. It just so happens that RCI has the best itinerary, is price competitive, and the Explorer of the Seas happens to be a great ship; so you aren't really sacrificing by making this choice. NCL, if anything, is the biggest compromise and, to me, the least value on offer here.

NCL is on the breakaway. 7 night to Port Canaveral, little stirrup cay (I think that was the name- their private island) & Nassau. So not the best itinerary but the ship & price difference are pulling me. We are booking tonight and I feel like it will be up to a coin toss LOL!

That's a tough one! Breakaway may be the best ship overall, but it has the worst itinerary of the three. I do not care for PC as a destination port. There is nothing within walking distance of the ship and Cocoa Beach is not nearly as nice as the Bahamas or Caribbean beaches. IMO, the time in port and distance make the Orlando theme parks an expensive excursion because you won't get much done in the theme parks. Nassau isn't great either, but there are some nice beaches a short ride from the ship. GSC is like HMC, a good beach day if the conditions are favorable for tendering.

Thanks all! Leaning toward Norwegian as $600 is a big deal to us. Not to mention the brand new ship. We also have family in NYC so parking isn't a consideration to us. Port Canaveral just sucks. We've been there 3 times. We probably wouldn't even get off LoL

Edited by Prinycesa07