Allure of the Sea In Drydock In Bahamas

Just found out that Allure of the Seas was put into dry dock for seven days in Freeport in the Bahamas due to propulsion engine failure.

Saw the article and picture here: http://cosmologicalcabbage.blogspot.ca/2014/03/allure-of-seas-drydocked-in-freeport.html

It was not a propulsion engine failure. It was a bearing that was wearing faster than expected. Nothing had failed.

Unless you consider that it Failed to last as long as expected, and that because of that they unfortunately failed to provide a cruise that people had hoped to enjoy.

It was not a propulsion engine failure. It was a bearing that was wearing faster than expected. Nothing had failed.

Other than making some minor adjustments to port stays on their eastern Caribbean itinerary I have failed to see anything, anywhere to indicate that customers were inconvenienced in any way. I think Royal handled the situation well, they did not wait until the bearing failed. They were proactive and prevented any disruptions for their cruising passengers.

The people who had already booked a sailing for Feb. 23? I bet some of those people were a bit inconvenienced. They may have been locked into those days and couldn't change.

Granted they lost no money, but they may have lost out on a trip they sorely wanted and couldn't choose alternate dates.

Dolby1000

Dolby, if you do not want to sail with a cruise line that is proactive concerning maintenance of their ships, to the extent that their passengers are stranded at sea, I suggest you try another cruise line.

The people who had already booked a sailing for Feb. 23? I bet some of those people were a bit inconvenienced. They may have been locked into those days and couldn't change.

Granted they lost no money, but they may have lost out on a trip they sorely wanted and couldn't choose alternate dates.

Dolby1000

Doesn't matter what Royal did to handle the situation, there is always going to be people who are not happy and think they have a better solution.

Things happen......that's life...... and thinks break.......that's life too....I for one think Royal did a great job of being pro-active and handling it now rather than waiting for a failure.

Dolby1000

They knew the ship was going in for repairs back in November of 2013.

Here is the Cruise Critic info on Allure that was released in November 15, 2013 http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5616

Edited by cruisenfever

I'm not disagreeing with what RCCL did, they had to take action and they did. I'm sure it was a difficult decision.

We are sailing on her 4/6/2014. And we booked knowing she is only 5 weeks out of dry dock and something might happen. We booked and took the accepted risk.

I'm just saying to those "RCCL can do no wrong cheerleaders" that there were likely some people were inconvenienced. It was not roses and candy for those already booked, and I believe people booked long in advance of there being any problems with the bearing in the asipod. These people, regardless of the "correctness" of the decision were inconvenienced.

Finally, and here's a shock to those cheerleaders, not every RCCL cruiser is on Cruise Critic to learn this information.

I'm not disagreeing with what RCCL did, they had to take action and they did. I'm sure it was a difficult decision.

We are sailing on her 4/6/2014. And we booked knowing she is only 5 weeks out of dry dock and something might happen. We booked and took the accepted risk.

I'm just saying to those "RCCL can do no wrong cheerleaders" that there were likely some people were inconvenienced. It was not roses and candy for those already booked, and I believe people booked long in advance of there being any problems with the bearing in the asipod. These people, regardless of the "correctness" of the decision were inconvenienced.

Finally, and here's a shock to those cheerleaders, not every RCCL cruiser is on Cruise Critic to learn this information.

So okay, let's say you are in charge of RCCL. How would you have handled this differently? Mechanical problems happen and have to be addressed. How would you have handled it so that noone would have been inconvenienced?

Edited by TonyFred

Other than making some minor adjustments to port stays on their eastern Caribbean itinerary I have failed to see anything, anywhere to indicate that customers were inconvenienced in any way. s.

I am saying people WERE INCONVENIENCED! People had booked the cruise months, perhaps even over a year before the sailing date, long before there were any problems. Their vacations were either cancelled or changed, which means they were inconvenienced. The very definition of the word. I was pointing out the naivety of the sentence. You can't cancel a cruise a mere 3 months before sailing and NOT inconvenience those already booked on the cruise.

RCCL was in a difficult spot, they needed to fix the ship and a sailing was going to be lost, and once they decided to that, they had to inconvenience someone. Glad I didn't have to make those calls.

I never said, hinted, discussed or commented on what RCCL did or why they did it. I might of wondered why they picked a sailing right in the middle of the busy season instead of waiting for a post Easter and prior to summer vacation season sailing, but I don't have access to all the relevant information.

Again, I never said they were wrong, didn't say I would do otherwise. I'm just acknowledging the pain of those who had their cruise cancelled.

Dolby1000

I suppose they could have hired a few tug boats to pull her around the sea at top speed so as to not inconvenience any booked passengers. Lol.:D. Oh, and those passengers could pick up the cost.

Edited by TubbyMrT

Dolby......you will Never convince Diehard Loyal2Royals.... They will argue with you about anything negative you "might" say about the "Beloved" cruise line !! LOLOLOLOL

Oh and look....I'm a D+ !!!! ROFLMAO !!!!!:D

Edited by msumike