Avoiding coriander (cilantro) leaves on board

Hokapontas

Hi all,

I wonder what the procedure is for avoiding a particular ingredient while on the Insignia? I have checked the O website menu samples, but they are vague about ingredients. I heard you tip the maitre d' but there are a few restaurants. Is there a central place to register my need to avoid it? I thought re-doing my registration form may fill in gaps but it had no space for this kind of thing.

I've seen lots of questions about gluten-free and other-free menus but not about coriander-free!

I happen to love coriander ...

But I think the general advice is to notify Oceania well in advance of departure that you have a problem with certain foods or ingredients. They will adapt menus, and if necessary, will notify you of various choices.

But you need to notify Oceania WELL in advance of your cruise. They will do their best to accommodate you.

My guess is that coriander is not a typical problem ... This is an herb that is always in my kitchen, but I question whether it is always in Oceania's kitchens. I could be wrong! It's well worth asking if you have a problem with it.

Mura

I looked at your question again ...

Practically speaking, avoiding an ingredient like coriander -- or thyme or oregano or fill in the blank -- could be really difficult for the ship.

Is there a medical reason for avoiding coriander, or is it just something you dislike? That could be important!

If the ship were to have to eliminate this ingredient or that ingredient just because someone dislikes it, that could be very difficult for the kitchen.

If you have an allergy, that's something else.

Mura

Oh I love the seeds/powder, especially in Indian cuisine, but the leaves (depending on dose) can swell up my mouth! About half of our family is like that too, half can't understand the other...

Do you think you email them about it?

PS Mura I love your cat. Reminds me of our old cat's brother, my mum's cat, who died last year. Now mum is running after a little thuderbolt of a kitten :)

You can have your TA contact Special Services & put a note on your file

When you get on the ship they will send the dinner menus to your cabin starting with the 2 night ..you check off what you want then when you go to the dining venue just let them know you have a special meal

This only works for dinner for some reason for other meals you will have to ask the waiter to check with the Chef

The first night you are on your own, ask the waiter to check with the Chef if you can safely have the dish you would like

Also ask in WAVES or the The Terrace to speak to the Chef or ask the people serving to point out dishes you can have safely

If it is just fresh coriander you may just get away with asking the waiter but why chance it

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Oh I love the seeds/powder, especially in Indian cuisine, but the leaves (depending on dose) can swell up my mouth! About half of our family is like that too, half can't understand the other...

Do you think you email them about it?

PS Mura I love your cat. Reminds me of our old cat's brother, my mum's cat, who died last year. Now mum is running after a little thuderbolt of a kitten :)

Whiskers is a sweetheart. We adopted him when Mechante was elderly and failing, and he was so good to her. I'd love to have a companion for him but DH is reluctant, so I'm waiting for a knock on the door.

As to coriander leaves, you're best off notifying Oceania that this is a problem. For myself, I've never been aware of fresh coriander (and it does depend on the itinerary). But if there is a real problem, the ship should know about it.

They are very cooperative about dealing with these situations. After all, they don't want you to get sick while you are on board!

Lyn's comments are also spot on.

Mura

Great, I'll do that then. Most of the time in restaurants I just ask the waiter, I don't need the whole menu to be accessible. I guess for me just a tip off of things to avoid will be good.

You check boxes so that your meal is slightly pre-ordered? Sounds kinda convenient. Could be an extra step to go to them and ask about this herb though.

You check boxes so that your meal is slightly pre-ordered? Sounds kinda convenient. Could be an extra step to go to them and ask about this herb though.

No they send the menu to your cabin ..your circle or check off the things you want

Then take the menu before 10am to the GDR or the Restaurant desk

Last cruise we got the menus 2 days ahead of time so I had to make note of what I ordered so by the time dinner came on that night I knew what I had ordered ;)

You never know what they hide in the food LOL

It sounds more complicated than it is ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

How about salt? We find cruise lines put salt on everything. By the end of the week, our legs are swollen toe to knee. Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a salt free diet? We wouldn't mind picking menus in advance if they would keep the salt out.

How about salt? We find cruise lines put salt on everything. By the end of the week, our legs are swollen toe to knee. Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a salt free diet? We wouldn't mind picking menus in advance if they would keep the salt out.

you can ask for no salt added. As for swelling there is salt in the water you drink and you do absorb it from the salt air as well. For a completely salt free experience don't cruise the oceans.

You can request the sodium restricted diet. As above, have your TA contact O as well in advance as possible. You will have the menus ahead of time as was described above.

Many, many people are subject to sodium restrictions because of heart and circulatory issues. There is no need to be resigned to unwanted sodium when O is so willing to work with you on it.

You should watch what water you drink. Some of the bottled waters have sodium as they have minerals included.

I am really not sure about that crack regarding not cruising at all if you are sodium restricted. My DH is highly restricted and does just fine on O. They are very gracious and helpful.

That is what we have the special meals for

You can ask at most meals for low or no salt but somethings it is prepared with salt

They do their best to accommodate you

I checked the bottled water there was no sodium in the ones we had

Since I switched to this method on Oceania (after a very bad experience with swelling) I have not had a problem cruising

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Thank you! We always check bottled water before opening. One cruise only had water with sodium. At the next port, they picked up plain water for us. We spend several months a year in condos/villas/houses at the ocean. We do our own cooking and never have a problem. We do not even have salt in our house. On our last cruise we watched a worker cover the meat with salt during the galley tour. They told us that is how they tenderize the meat. We stopped eating meat. We also learned they automatically put salt in eggs ordered any style. Constantly reminding them we did not want salt became a burden on us. And, most of the food tasted too salty to us. We have never sailed O and hope it all works better with them. I have advised our TA to make a note.

I am allergic to fish (the healthy kind with fins and scales rather than the much more common allergy, which is to seafood like shrimp), and allergic enough that if the fork that touched the fish touches my plate, I am in trouble. On cruises and on any visit to a restaurant, I heavily rely on the waiter to steer me away from any dish that may contain fish, fish sauce, etc. by clearly announcing my allergy immediately before I order the course which may contain any fish. Sometimes, the waiter has to check with the kitchen to insure that there is no fish ingredient in what I plan to order.

So far that all has worked out very well for me in all of the restaurants onboard. (And I ask at the buffets if there is any doubt in my mind.)

I prefer that to ordering my meals several days ahead of time.

BTW, I found on our January Riviera cruise that the food offered in the GDR was much less adventurous than on our last Oceania cruise, which was 2-1/2 years earlier on Marina. There seldom were spicy dishes, ethnic dishes, etc. (particularly variations on Indian and other Asian cuisines) offered either as appetizers or as main course offerings. I assume that is a reflection of the taste of the clientele but it was noticeably less diverse than previously.

Edited by CintiPam

Oh I love the seeds/powder, especially in Indian cuisine, but the leaves (depending on dose) can swell up my mouth!

I doubt that the leaves (cilantro) will be that prevalent throughout the menu, so I wouldn't imagine it will be too much effort for the kitchen staff to tell you what items to avoid.