Nassau

BonnieSte

get off the ship only to get free wifi in the port terminal. Then get right back on the ship and enjoy. Although so many people stay on board while in Nassau, its not so quiet.

Ardastra Zoo and Gardens, Fort Charlotte and Fort Fincastle are my favorites. I like Nassau, some people go to Atlantis but I have never been there. It is not my favorite port but I have a good time and feel safe walking around in the day alone. There are police everywhere and I have never had a problem.

Last time we went, we took the kids to Atlantis. We had a great time!

My dh and son spent the whole day, while my dd and I went back after half day. Going to be there in Nov while we're on the Oasis. This maybe a good port to just stay on the ship and enjoy it "alone".

I goto a restaurant called "the poop deck". it's on east bay road right off the bridge to paradise island.

We like the Poop Deck too for good local food...cracked conch and peas and rice, or grouper, or local lobster. Sr. Frogs is a tourist trap with overpriced food that's of questionable quality.

We were there a few cruises ago and we walked around and saw the sites. Enjoyed it. We found a "pirate" venue an did that, not expensive and it was fun. We found a nice coffee and donut shop and me some locals. We had lunch on main street in a restaurant upstairs that was outdoors, had live music and good food. Also did some shopping. All in all a good time and will be there again next month.

Seems to be a popular answer. What is wrong with the island? :confused:

The port is a dump! The streets are dirty, you have the locals trying to sell you their jewelry or braid your hair and if you're really that curious, go to the straw market. You'll walk out in less than 5 minutes.

Thank you..some good ideas.. We go in April and we already said we were not going to the Atlantis. We went there with the kids for vacation few years ago so we figured we would either do something else or stay on the ship :)

We have been to Nassau several times and always had good excursions.

The important thing is to get away from the pier and Straw Market.

The closest places to go which are good are the British Colonial Hilton and The Pirate's Museum.

We enjoy the Sheraton (now Melia) at Cable Beach-very good facility for

a day pass.

We also enjoyed Ardastra Gardens & Zoo.

Also Atlantis- one can take a van cab to Atlantis Marina Village and walk around there and then buy a ticket to the Dig or aquarium.

There is plenty to do in Nassau away from the pier. Book an excursion.

Blue Lagoon Island has dolphin and sea lion encounters or you can get a beach day and snorkel or just hang on the beach, they also have food and drinks there too. We did the dolphin encounter and it was worth every penny.

I loved my last time there It was the greatest day on any ship. Yes, it is $$$$. but after 50 cruises plus, this is the best cruise day ever

Edited by yarlenna

We like the Poop Deck too for good local food...cracked conch and peas and rice, or grouper, or local lobster. Sr. Frogs is a tourist trap with overpriced food that's of questionable quality.

I love their peas and rice. I always get the lobster tails and conch fritters. and of course guava duff for dessert