Wi-Fi Question

seb

Will be going on IOS at end of month to Eastern Caribbean. RCI web site says they have hot spots for Wi-Fi but must have a Windows operating system. I plan on taking my Apple IPAD.

Couple questions from a NON-tech person :-).

1. Will I be able to use their Wi-Fi on my Apple IPAD since I don't use Windows?

2. If so, do I pay a daily fee or is it a usage issue. I know at hotels I stay at you get free wi-fi but I don't think RCI would have free wi-fi based on what I've been able to find out so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

1. Yes, it will work just fine with your iPad. To list a "Microsoft Windows" requirement for a WiFi network connection is absurd, not sure why that's there.

2. Definitely not free, and not even cheap! :) I've seen various prices posted for "per minute", packages of minutes, and unlimited WiFi - and those prices seem to change somewhat frequently. Best to check with RCI for your specific cruise regarding pricing.

1. Yes, it will work just fine with your iPad. To list a "Microsoft Windows" requirement for a WiFi network connection is absurd, not sure why that's there.

2. Definitely not free, and not even cheap! I've seen various prices posted for "per minute", packages of minutes, and unlimited WiFi - and those prices seem to change somewhat frequently. Best to check with RCI for your specific cruise regarding pricing.

I appreciate the info. Tried contacting RCI but they weren't able to answer the $$ question. Said best to check once on board. I was trying to see if they had a package deal that I could prepay but no one seemed to know. Guess I'll check it out on ship.

Steve

LetGetWet is correct. WiFi is not free, you can buy blocks of minutes. Since we are C&A members we get a discount on Wifi. I think they also gave us 5 min free.

We are also Crown and Anchor members, so good to know of the discount. I'll certainly mention that once on board. Where did you go to buy your service?

You need to go to the RC Online area and swipe your seapass card to set up the account with a password.

Here is a link to a thread with pics of the log in process.... page 9 post #165

ETA deleted previous sentence sending you around the houses.....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Not sure if all ships offer this, but last week on Brilliance there was a 'midweek' offer that for between the hours of 11pm and I think 6 or 7 am the next morning, the standard rate was only 42cents per minute against the new increased standard of 85cents per minute if you weren't on a package.

By the way that's some increase in the standard rate which was only 65 cents per minute charged 4 months ago up to 85! Shocked me.

154696050.jpg

154696052.jpg

From Enchantment, but it's pretty standard fleet wide on ships where they now have pervasive wifi through out the ship...hopefully answers a few questions!:D

Either this is a bit old or it is different than other ships. The per minute charge on Liberty in December was up to .85 cents per minute. I have also seen that price posted for other ships.

2. Definitely not free, and not even cheap! I've seen various prices posted for "per minute", packages of minutes, and unlimited WiFi - and those prices seem to change somewhat frequently. Best to check with RCI for your specific cruise regarding pricing.

I appreciate the info. Tried contacting RCI but they weren't able to answer the $$ question. Said best to check once on board. I was trying to see if they had a package deal that I could prepay but no one seemed to know. Guess I'll check it out on ship.

Steve

Be aware that the internet is satellite based so it is very slow (they tried cables but they kept getting chewed up by the sharks). So, you may need multiple (read that "a lot") minutes to do what you would do in 30 seconds at home !!

Steve

Was on Indy 2/09 sailing.

These were the per minute and package rates

Wifi is available across the ship, including cabins, but was very slow. I used my iPad air in various locations. The bookmark function does not work well on the iPad for some reason. You will need to make sure you log off, not just disable wifi on the devise, as it will suck up minutes for a period of time until it actually disconnects. Unlike on Allure (where you can purchase packages remotely from a devise) you will have to go to the business center and establish an account.

241A2CE1-BA01-4B95-B615-F4B277CBB150_zpsoedwg6qe.png

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Forgot to add... No way to prepay for the package. These rates are the "list" prices. Crown and Anchor discounts depending on your status level, will give you a discount % off this price, as well as some " free minutes" . I had to go to Guest Services to get these applied though. It was supposed to be automatic, but didn't happen. Finally, although it is rather slow, if you just intend to check e-mail on occasion, or do airline check in, a smaller package will suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

...but you can often find cheaper rates at the ports. Some ports will have Wi-Fi locations near the ship that will sell for around $10 for the day, and supposedly they'll reach to the ship. We've never tried that (DW was worried about security issues), but I talked to others who used it with no problems.

Either this is a bit old or it is different than other ships. The per minute charge on Liberty in December was up to .85 cents per minute. I have also seen that price posted for other ships.

That document just came off Enchantment Feb 21st, so if they charge the new rate, a lot of folks are going to be not to happy about their on board bills;)

And yes, many ships offer "on board" specials...Jewel did, early in the AM and around lunch time...I think late afternoons and evenings are the "crunch time" and they try to spread the use around, especially on ships with the old slow wifi.

Edited by Familygoboston

Ok, so here's my experience. On the Freedom right now, on the second week of a b2b. On the first leg, you could only connect using Internet Explorer, or, if you have an IE tab extension on your laptop for either Firefox or Chrome. None of our android devices will connect. I spoke with I.t., add this has never happened on my 7 cruises on the Freedom, but they said that's the way it is. YMMV

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk