Seabourn pouring Champagne

Wasn't there talk at some point in the past about doing just that? I wonder what happened to that idea.

Wouldn't some of us be a bit suspicious about its origins, unless it had the maker's name on it somewhere?;)

Wouldn't some of us be a bit suspicious about its origins, unless it had the maker's name on it somewhere?;)

No,

It is all about the taste, as blind tasting often gives surprise results.

There are some people that look at the packaging and decide without trying the wine in the bottle.

Marketing is a key thing when presentation is what hooks many.

The moment the word "champagne" appears on the label, you can be assured that the origin is the champagne region in France. The appellation is strictly protected.

There are several private label champagnes (Costo/Kirkland, Tesco, Ritz, etc.), and most of them are quite acceptable. However, there would be nothing to stop Seabourn from contracting with Nicolas Feuillatte to bottle champagne with a "Seabourn" label!

There are several private label champagnes (Costo/Kirkland, Tesco, Ritz, etc.), and most of them are quite acceptable. However, there would be nothing to stop Seabourn from contracting with Nicolas Feuillatte to bottle champagne with a "Seabourn" label!

That would defeat the purpose.

• 6 months later...

Hate to appear champagne snooty but we both really like champagne over other wines and hard liquor. To be frank, I'd much prefer even the J Vineyards "Cuvée 20" sparkling wine offering from Sonoma County to the Feuillatte champagne. I kinda thought that "fine wines" would include champagne at least at the Moet-Chandon level. But, I suppose people would guzzle it by the gallon then. I'll simply moderate my intake by upgrading with my on-board credits! :)

Off topic but the Costco/Kirkland labelled Chateauneuf-du-Pape does tell you on the label which producer it comes from.

I have been around the wine business over 50 years as a winemaker, grape grower, cellar rat and sales guy. I believe that everyone should drink what they like, be open to trying new wines, and let me enjoy what I like even if you don't care for it. Wine is a wonderful beverage. Cheers to all.

Yes but for this discussion you have to keep it within a reasonable limit. If we are limited to NV I'd love to see Tattinger or Bollinger but that's not going to happen.

I had forgotten about monopole blue top. That might be a nice change.

I happen to much prefer the heidseck - and I agree, a change would be a good idea and is long overdue. I for one would really appreciate seeing a different brand on my next trip. I understand that Seabourn have been serving NF for some years now - def. time for a change.

On a positive note - we had plenty of good house wines last trip. I happen to know that at least 2 of them retail at over £10 in UK supermarkets.

It was Moet and Chandon Brut Imperial that used to be served. It was a fine champagne. Unfortunately, M & C no longer make it. It is now just Moet and Chandon Imperial......not the same lovely enjoyment. New Mexico makes a very palatable champagne. Gruet Brut......in Tucson it runs around 12 dollars a bottle and certainly fills the bill for an inexpensive taste treat on a daily basis. You can save your fine Champers for special.

It was Moet and Chandon Brut Imperial that used to be served. It was a fine champagne. Unfortunately, M & C no longer make it. It is now just Moet and Chandon Imperial......not the same lovely enjoyment. New Mexico makes a very palatable champagne. Gruet Brut......in Tucson it runs around 12 dollars a bottle and certainly fills the bill for an inexpensive taste treat on a daily basis. You can save your fine Champers for special.

Moet Impérial is a brut, unless one's chosen the rosé, it's Moet's standard NV offering.

The word 'Brut' still shows clearly on the label here, underneath the word Impérial. I wonder if for some reason they remove it when exporting overseas? I'm not at all keen on Moet but I suspect any difference in taste you've noticed has to do with how they're blending it in recent years.....

[/url]

The current Moet & Chandon Imperial seems to be less dry than the discontinued Brut Imperial, but less sweet than the discontinued White Star. In any case, I prefer it to Nicolas Feuillatte.

Your post has clarified my confusion about the earlier post, thank you.

I think the one you're both referring to is the Reserve Imperiale brut, not just the regular NV. I think it had a black label? At least it did in Europe. It was a lovely wine, full of pinot noir. It was discontinued but until a year or so ago it could still be found in some airport duty free shops - usually the ones in obscure places. I've been tempted to buy it when I've seen it but I'm wary, it's been sitting around, possibly upright, in a warm airport store, probably quite spoiled by now.

This is a new sparkling for me (probably will not see it on SB as NF is VERY proud of their champagne on SB). Has anyone one from the UK ever tried it - 2012 Camel Valley Brut Cornwall 750ml (UK)? I have a source in Seattle that has some for sale in the US.

This is a new sparkling for me (probably will not see it on SB as NF is VERY proud of their champagne on SB). Has anyone one from the UK ever tried it - 2012 Camel Valley Brut Cornwall 750ml (UK)? I have a source in Seattle that has some for sale in the US.

Yes,I have tried it,it was an IWC silver medal winner it retails for about £24.95 in the UK

They also make a Pinot Noir Rose Brut which won a gold IWC medal.

Chapel Down and Nytimber are two other sparkling producers worth noting.

I always buy Champagne and wines from the list on Seabourn,I get something that I enjoy and with my club discount the prices are very reasonable

My personal choice for a Seabourn house Champagne would be Bollinger or Ruinart

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

How does one get the club discount price? I like the champagne on the list on SB .

The more you cruise the more discount and perks you get with Seabourn.

The maximum discount on wines is 25% once you reach Diamond status.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury