Granduer hitting heavy seas

That may be the law, but I have read of others who have had their muster delayed. Honestly, I was really just posting what our experience was.

As for the pp who posted about doing it after 10 pm. I know quite a few people who usually go to bed by 10, even on cruises, especially elderly and children. I'm not sure how much some people retained at that hour being so tired, etc. My boys, when they were growing up would ask to go to bed by 9, even on vacation because that was what they were used to. I'm sure there are very cranky children when it's done that late. I totally support doing the muster asap, but I do have to wonder how would have everyone fed, etc and still get the drill done without delaying sailing too much when they were originally talking about coming in and boarding. With the earlier time now, they'll be able to before departure no problem. It may possibly delay early seating a bit. These are just my thoughts.

I agree with u! We had a very late muster on the jewel once in the middle of dinner. People were being served dinner when the alarm went off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Self assist departure started around 9:30 and since we did Immigration in Key West it was much faster just handing in the Customs form. As long as they can get provisioning and bunkering completed I doubt the ship will sail too much later than expected today.

Appears off marine traffic that gots is pulling away from the dock so where they delayed at all today?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Yes, they normally leave at 4 pm. They were 2 hours late getting in and 2 hours late leaving this evening. I'm surprised no one onboard has reported back. With Smart Phones, it's easy, plus they'll have connectivity off and on til they get past the bridge tunnel.

Yes, they normally leave at 4 pm. They were 2 hours late getting in and 2 hours late leaving this evening. I'm surprised no one onboard has reported back. With Smart Phones, it's easy, plus they'll have connectivity off and on til they get past the bridge tunnel.

How long do u normally have cell service on this route?

How long do u normally have cell service on this route?

As long as the ship is in the bay, so usually til about midnight. It comes and goes in some spots due to distance from shore and less populated areas.

Self assist departure started around 9:30 and since we did Immigration in Key West it was much faster just handing in the Customs form. As long as they can get provisioning and bunkering completed I doubt the ship will sail too much later than expected today.

And those of us not self assist it was two hours later :( After such great weather for all the port days just not the way you want to end a cruise.

Starting Thursday night - into Friday (most of the day) we were having a very bumpy ride.

Trying to navigate hallways wasn't too bad, but navigating in Windjammer was difficult at best. They did have a reduced luncheon offering.

Our waiter also informed us at dinner, that one wave took out some of the prepared dinner starters and entrees.

Captain Been kept us well-informed, and also was circulating throughout the public areas, and sharing information on a personal basis.

We can hardly wait to get on again in May.:D

Wonder how the current sailing is doing... I just looked and it looks like sea conditions improved and with Mexico being their first POC they're probably hugging the coastline if it's beneficial from a sea conditions standpoint.

We are unlikely to hear from our friends aboard now until they get there, assuming they can find WiFi.

Wonder how the current sailing is doing... I just looked and it looks like sea conditions improved and with Mexico being their first POC they're probably hugging the coastline if it's beneficial from a sea conditions standpoint.

We are unlikely to hear from our friends aboard now until they get there, assuming they can find WiFi.

Conditions were due to a storm that blew through, is gone now, so no effect on the current sailing.

Conditions were due to a storm that blew through, is gone now, so no effect on the current sailing.

They'll be into old seas now, so chances are they're still feeling it. It can take days for the sea to settle after a big storm ;)

I think the seas are probably fine by now but I did see this in the local newspaper today. Since they were still in the bay i doubt the injury was due to rough seas.

Coast Guard rescues 93-year-old man from cruise ship

By C.K. Hickey

The Virginian-Pilot

© March 9, 2014

PORTSMOUTH

The Coast Guard rescued a 93-year-old man early this morning after he suffered a possible head injury on a cruise ship in the lower Chesapeake Bay.

The Coast Guard received a call around 9:15 p.m. Saturday from the crew of the Grandeur of the Seas, a 915-foot cruise ship, that a passenger was possibly injured and in need of medical assistance, according to a news release.

Rescue crews from the Little Creek station along with several Virginia Beach Fire Department personnel were sent aboard a 45-foot response boat. The man and his wife were taken aboard the Coast Guard boat shortly after 1:30 a.m.

The man was taken to Virginia Beach General Hospital in stable condition.

Just OT since I didn't see it posted anywhere else on a quick glance, our friends are on the sailing after this - currently onboard. It looks like Grandeur actually suffered some structual damage during this storm along one of the hull seams, they sent us pictures yesterday of some of it. Apparently one of the pools cracked as well from all the flexing and was leaking below..although it was welded and seems to be holding.

I'm sure they wouldn't be sailing if the ship wasn't sound, but it must have been one heck of a storm to flex the keel that much to be breaking windows, popping deck seams, and crumpling sheet metal. Some of the pics are interesting.

Just OT since I didn't see it posted anywhere else on a quick glance, our friends are on the sailing after this - currently onboard. It looks like Grandeur actually suffered some structual damage during this storm along one of the hull seams, they sent us pictures yesterday of some of it. Apparently one of the pools cracked as well from all the flexing and was leaking below..although it was welded and seems to be holding.

I'm sure they wouldn't be sailing if the ship wasn't sound, but it must have been one heck of a storm to flex the keel that much to be breaking windows, popping deck seams, and crumpling sheet metal. Some of the pics are interesting.

I was on the cruise where the damage occured and I will tell you I'm not surprised to learn of the damaged that happened and shocked it wasn't more. We had an oceanview cabin on deck 3 and witnessed the 30-35 foot swells out our window. We were very happy to get back to Baltimore.

Edited by cayugashue

We were on this sailing also. Quite a rough ride. And, we are booked to go on Grandeur again on April 26. Do you have any pictures of the damage that you could share?

I'll have to confirm if she's OK with me posting them. They're in Labadee tomorrow (no wifi to be seen there) so at this point I don't expect to be in touch with them until they return to Baltimore now.

Basically, buckled decking on the walking track deck (11 IIRC?), it looks like one of the windows overhead the Windjammer had cracked and was freshly replaced, broken railings, the "umbrella" things over some of the windows looking down into the Windjammer were buckled and missing pieces, etc etc.

For the pool to have cracked..there must have been some wild flexing going on.

Yes--a wild ride was had by all! We were in the Windjammer for a late lunch and it sounded like the windows were popping and cracking. One poor lady made it through the buffet only for her plate to fly off the table as she was getting ready to sit down. We had planned to go to MDR so we could be waited on and avoid moving around too much, but didn't have enough patience to stand in that long line all the way out to the Centrum.

I'll have to confirm if she's OK with me posting them. They're in Labadee tomorrow (no wifi to be seen there) so at this point I don't expect to be in touch with them until they return to Baltimore now.

Basically, buckled decking on the walking track deck (11 IIRC?), it looks like one of the windows overhead the Windjammer had cracked and was freshly replaced, broken railings, the "umbrella" things over some of the windows looking down into the Windjammer were buckled and missing pieces, etc etc.

For the pool to have cracked..there must have been some wild flexing going on.

Sounds like cosmetic damage. Ships can withstand a lot more than 30-35 foot seas. My DH was on a US Navy ship that went through hurricanes with higher seas. Ships are supposed to flex. It's why you hear creaking when the seas are rough. You want the ship to flex, just as you want a bridge to move with wind, etc. If something doesn't flex, it really breaks. Buckling of the decking is purely cosmetic as is popping windows and the "umbrella" things you mentioned.

We were on EX the cruise after Sandy and the reports were exaggerated about the damage onboard. Sandy was a much rougher storm than this one and all the damage was purely cosmetic. I'm sure the ship is structurally fine and what the photos show is just superficial.

I would love to see the pics. Not sure why it would be an issue if she sent them to you. Why should she care if you post them?

Edited by BND

On board now, seas were 20 to 30 foot, sometimes higher. Speeds were as low as 5 knots, but are now doing 18+. Captain said this morning they expect to be 4 to 5 hours late, haven't heard any updated ETA yet. Seas look to be down to 10 to 15 now.

Yeah the last day was pretty awful.

I stayed in bed for 30 hours straight.

My wife didn't get ill at all and had the ship to herself.

We changed our flights and ended up not needing to and not getting to get home earlier...