Chops and GT changing menus

Just back from Navigator cruise. We did enjoy GT very much. We also did not like the new menu in Chops. The Tasteless Tator Tots do not compare to a baked potato. The only good thing was that we had made a reservation before the price went up to $35.00 a person.

Here are the famous cheese tots.

That seals it...we will definitely be giving the new "improved":rolleyes: Chops a miss on Navigator next month. These sides look like they came out of an Ore-Ida bag. My local grocery store frequently runs BOGO specials on those products...looks like RCI placed a standing order!:p

Here are the famous cheese tots.

That's them, all right. I thought they would taste cheesier, but I really did not detect cheese at all. It was very bland.

Photos of Tots in Chops could trigger a sudden onset of Tourette's. Have you ever noticed swearing doesn't sound as awful with a southern accent? I think I should work on my southern accent before our next cruise!

Funny! Same thing with a British accent, it always sounds more refined. :eek::D

That seals it...we will definitely be giving the new "improved":rolleyes: Chops a miss on Navigator next month. These sides look like they came out of an Ore-Ida bag. My local grocery store frequently runs BOGO specials on those products...looks like RCI placed a standing order!:p

Perhaps they should change the name of Chops on the Navigator to.......

The Tots Spot

Hahaha

So we had the distinct dis-pleasure of discovering the change to the Chops menu first on the Feb 9 NOS cruise following the refit. We booked VERY last minute on the Thursday before departure for DW birthday and her only wish was a great steak at Chops during our trip. We had dined at chops on the Liberty when she first sailed and that event was a highlight of our trip.

When we arrived at Chops on our first sea night, formal night, we were ready for a very special event, but it started bad by waiting well past opening time for the staff to get prepared to open. After finally being seated we were presented with the menus which were different from what I had seen online, and discovered the $35 up charge was not buying us ANYTHING that we had enjoyed on the LOS previously.

The next insult were the sides. 3 types of potatoes (mashed, French Fried, and Tots) with NO option for baked. When I pressed the waiter and told him what I already thought about having to pay double premium for a T-Bone he finally relented to finding me a baked Potato.

The next issue happened when they finally delivered my glass of wine. Only about a 3oz pour. I was really feeling like getting up at this point heading to the WJ for a better experience.

The last insult was the waiter taking our desert order then delivering them with not a mention of DW birthday which I had indicated on our reservation and even informed the MTD when I noticed it was not listed on our reservation. After finishing desert the waiter and staff showed up at the table with another desert and decorated plate for DW birthday. It was real shame she could not enjoy it since we had already finished.

By far the most disappointing experience of our trip. Food and service both were WAY below that of a top notch steakhouse. We are staying clear of Chops from now on if they do not change the menus back.

So we had the distinct dis-pleasure of discovering the change to the Chops menu first on the Feb 9 NOS cruise following the refit. We booked VERY last minute on the Thursday before departure for DW birthday and her only wish was a great steak at Chops during our trip. We had dined at chops on the Liberty when she first sailed and that event was a highlight of our trip.

When we arrived at Chops on our first sea night, formal night, we were ready for a very special event, but it started bad by waiting well past opening time for the staff to get prepared to open. After finally being seated we were presented with the menus which were different from what I had seen online, and discovered the $35 up charge was not buying us ANYTHING that we had enjoyed on the LOS previously.

The next insult were the sides. 3 types of potatoes (mashed, French Fried, and Tots) with NO option for baked. When I pressed the waiter and told him what I already thought about having to pay double premium for a T-Bone he finally relented to finding me a baked Potato.

The next issue happened when they finally delivered my glass of wine. Only about a 3oz pour. I was really feeling like getting up at this point heading to the WJ for a better experience.

The last insult was the waiter taking our desert order then delivering them with not a mention of DW birthday which I had indicated on our reservation and even informed the MTD when I noticed it was not listed on our reservation. After finishing desert the waiter and staff showed up at the table with another desert and decorated plate for DW birthday. It was real shame she could not enjoy it since we had already finished.

By far the most disappointing experience of our trip. Food and service both were WAY below that of a top notch steakhouse. We are staying clear of Chops from now on if they do not change the menus back.

I'm sorry your experience was so disappointing, especially since it was your wife's birthday and you were trying to celebrate a special event. Please make sure RCI knows about your experience. :)

I was really looking forward to Chops on NOS in May.

We REALLY loved our experience in Chops on Mariner a few years ago. My wife loves the crab cakes and the steaks were very good as was the service.

I cannot believe you won't be able to order a baked potato in a steakhouse.

Not happy with the changes Royal.......:(

Many Thanks for the heads up... I could eat steak every night, and my DW loves her baked potatoes. Will not be booking a table @ Chops. :mad:

Since the new Chops menu, has the price for a Chops filet in the MD increased?

If you want a better cut, w/o the extra cover just to walk in, maybe that would be a better option? Also, MD waiters are very accommodating when it comes to "Special" requests such as baked potatoes.

Besides the lack of a filet / lamb choice in GT (booked), are there any other changes I should be aware of?

Edited by SharkByte

Many Thanks for the heads up... I could eat steak every night, and my DW loves her baked potatoes. Will not be booking a table @ Chops. :mad:

Since the new Chops menu, has the price for a Chops filet in the MD increased?

If you want a better cut, w/o the extra cover just to walk in, maybe that would be a better option? Also, MD waiters are very accommodating when it comes to "Special" requests such as baked potatoes.

Besides the lack of a filet / lamb choice in GT (booked), are there any other changes I should be aware of?

Generally speaking, there are a lot of things changing. Since you are now aware of the menu changes at the specialty restaurants, be on the lookout for other areas. As of the first of the year, more or less, there are no more flowers on the dining room tables, or flower carts to purchase flowers. Stationery in the cabin is gone, as are the plastic "tote" bags in the cabin. If you want ice in the cabin, you have to ask your room attendant for it. The comment cards are now emailed to you the day you get off, and you have one week to complete it.

I know there are more changes, but that's all I can remember at the moment. On the plus side, we felt the Johnny Rockets food had improved. (We don't go there often, but the menu seemed different, as well.):)

I was really looking forward to Chops on NOS in May.

We REALLY loved our experience in Chops on Mariner a few years ago. My wife loves the crab cakes and the steaks were very good as was the service.

I cannot believe you won't be able to order a baked potato in a steakhouse.

Not happy with the changes Royal.......:(

Wondering that since they've only done this on one ship so far...if that's somewhat of an "experiment" or "field test" of the new menu.

It would be something they could change back pretty quickly if the feedback isn't good or sales drop off...just one thought.

A steakhouse without a baked potato is not a steakhouse at all.

Vote with your wallets and pocketbooks and express displeasure in writing!

The last time I went to Chops it was 25.00pp. The meal was delicious. The next time I booked a cruise, it was 30.00pp and they had taken the bone in ribeye and REAL cheesecake off the menu. I said I would never go back and i won't.

Now its 35.00pp and even another upcharge for a decent steak?

Tater tots in a dining venue some here describe as a Ruths Chris, Capital Grille type of environment. LOL!

Absurd.

Edited by ryano

It is important that guests not only vote with their feet and pocketbook, you have to let RCI know directly how you feel about these changes. Think about it, the average person probably only does one to two cruises each year. If you were unhappy about the new menu, it would take months until you had a chance to not go there! Write them a polite detailed letter outlining which changes you are unhappy with. Hundreds of complaint letters are going to get noticed more quickly than a slow decline over months.

Wondering that since they've only done this on one ship so far...if that's somewhat of an "experiment" or "field test" of the new menu.

It would be something they could change back pretty quickly if the feedback isn't good or sales drop off...just one thought.

That is a very real possibility, and I hope that is what is happening. So, expressing our displeasure carries even more weight.:)

I have pre purchased two dining packages for my upcoming Serenade transatlantic. If I get onboard and the new Chops menu is in effect I will be canceling my reservations and asking for my money back and speaking to the Hotel Director and F&B manager to tell them why I have done so. Losing the crab cakes, the oyster duet, the mushroom soup, the reduced meat choices (without up charge) and poorer side item options and no red velvet cake are ABSOLUTE deal breakers. All this and they want a higher base cover? I could understand if the changes were an enhancement to the offerings and/or an upgrade in food quality. Instead it reeks of rampant cost cutting. Chops is one of the reasons I cruise with Royal. Without a good quality meal/value proposition there I may be likely to take my business elsewhere.

We have 3 days scheduled in May for the Oasis. If the menu has changed, I'll be cancelling all 3 as well and raising as big a deal as I can.

A steakhouse without a baked potato is not a steakhouse at all.

Vote with your wallets and pocketbooks and express displeasure in writing!

The last time I went to Chops it was 25.00pp. The meal was delicious. The next time I booked a cruise, it was 30.00pp and they had taken the bone in ribeye and REAL cheesecake off the menu. I said I would never go back and i won't.

Now its 35.00pp and even another upcharge for a decent steak?

Tater tots in a dining venue some here describe as a Ruths Chris, Capital Grille type of environment. LOL!

Absurd.

It is important that guests not only vote with their feet and pocketbook, you have to let RCI know directly how you feel about these changes. Think about it, the average person probably only does one to two cruises each year. If you were unhappy about the new menu, it would take months until you had a chance to not go there! Write them a polite detailed letter outlining which changes you are unhappy with. Hundreds of complaint letters are going to get noticed more quickly than a slow decline over months.

Does everyone think Adam Goldstein's email is the best way to write a letter expressing displeasure over the changes, or is there a better address?

If you don't have the HOTS for TOTS you have to put Royal Caribbean on the SPOTS. No need to be a SNOTS, don't have to tell them ALOTS, but we need to get their attention. Chops could be empty, they could be SHOCKED. We don't want anyone DEFROCKED or clean their CLOCKS. Just don't give us ...... TOTS.

Sung to Home on the Range.

Oh give me a ship,

where the guests are all hip

And the steaks cooked in Chops are sublime

Where seldome is heard, a discouraging word

And we can't wait for our dining time.

No, don't give us TOTS

We'll revolt and we'll cry like our kids

We'll hiss and we'll scream

And we'll all act real mean

Till old menus return on the SPOT

Edited by Donut23

Does everyone think Adam Goldstein's email is the best way to write a letter expressing displeasure over the changes, or is there a better address?

Absolutely to both - I wrote an e-mail to Goldstein's e-mail address about the issue - it was polite and I brought up very specific points (I understand that menus have to be changed/updated as tastes change, for instance the new MDR menus, but that the lack of baked potato, removal of the sauces, changes to menu items, and removal of the creme brulee was a step in the wrong direction) and somebody from RCI contacted me a few days later to discuss it. The long and short of it is:

• The "new" Chops Menu on Navigator is, indeed, a test run. It's not on any other ship at this time and they aren't sure when or if this menu would be introduced fleet-wide.
  • Thus far they've been hearing mostly positive comments and reviews of the new menu.
  • That said, they have been hearing a lot of requests to bring back the baked potato.

I think if you do as I did and write a polite, detailed e-mail, our voices can be heard and RCI will either rethink the new menu altogether or, at minimum, bring back things like the sauces and the baked potato.

One point I'm going to put in my communication... Chops is billed as a steakhouse. Even with the old menu, the steak selection was much more limited than any land-based steakhouse I've gone to. They offered a 10 oz filet, a 7 oz filet, a 16 oz t-bone and a 10 oz new york strip. With the new menu on Navigator, this "steakhouse" has all of TWO steak choices on the menu - unless you want to pay close to $20 additional in addition to paying the larger $35 entry fee. Both the t-bone and the new york strips are completely gone, replaced with a 10 oz sirloin and instead of 7 and 10 oz filets, they've gone to a single offering of an 8 oz filet. Shouldn't a steakhouse offer more than just an 8 oz filet or a sirloin to even be called a steakhouse?

One point I'm going to put in my communication... Chops is billed as a steakhouse. Even with the old menu, the steak selection was much more limited than any land-based steakhouse I've gone to. They offered a 10 oz filet, a 7 oz filet, a 16 oz t-bone and a 10 oz new york strip. With the new menu on Navigator, this "steakhouse" has all of TWO steak choices on the menu - unless you want to pay close to $20 additional in addition to paying the larger $35 entry fee. Both the t-bone and the new york strips are completely gone, replaced with a 10 oz sirloin and instead of 7 and 10 oz filets, they've gone to a single offering of an 8 oz filet. Shouldn't a steakhouse offer more than just an 8 oz filet or a sirloin to even be called a steakhouse?

Agree 1,000%

Shouldn't a steakhouse offer more than just an 8 oz filet or a sirloin to even be called a steakhouse?

Yes! Absolutely! To me, a steakhouse needs to offer ny strip, filet, ribeye, and a t bone and MOST CERTAINLY a baked potato to be considered a TRUE steakhouse :) Even the mediocre chain places offer that!

Please let us know the response you get :)

Edited by ryano

Sirloin is what I would order at an Outback if I was looking to save money vs a filet. It is NOT what I'd even even consider ordering when dining in a mid to upper end steakhouse. It has NO place on the Chops Menu. This new menu is cost cutting pure and simple. If it goes into effect fleet wide I will NOT be dining there again.

With all of the cost cutting on Royal I'm seriously considering trying NCL on a 7 night cruise on either Breakaway or Getaway and see how I like it by comparison. I am also concerned with the direction Celebrity seem to be heading in as well.

Sirloin is what I would order at an Outback if I was looking to save money vs a filet. It is NOT what I'd even even consider ordering when dining in a mid to upper end steakhouse. It has NO place on the Chops Menu.

I totally agree.

Sirloin is what I would order at an Outback if I was looking to save money vs a filet. It is NOT what I'd even even consider ordering when dining in a mid to upper end steakhouse. It has NO place on the Chops Menu. This new menu is cost cutting pure and simple. If it goes into effect fleet wide I will NOT be dining there again.

With all of the cost cutting on Royal I'm seriously considering trying NCL on a 7 night cruise on either Breakaway or Getaway and see how I like it by comparison. I am also concerned with the direction Celebrity seem to be heading in as well.

I totally agree.

Yep, agreed - I'll be sure to make that point also in my letter. Sirloin isn't something you'd expect to see at all in an upper end steakhouse, let alone one of only TWO choices available!!