Special deals mean early bookers pay more for less

2kiwis

I'm very gratified to hear that you are as happy as you are Supercattonk, because there is a great deal of difference between the Travel that you are able to buy in Australia versus what is on offer in the rest of the World.

The deposit requirement, the payment schedule, the tipping structure and the cancellation policy are all tougher on you guys, don't even get me started on the dearth of other amenities such as onboard credits, airline allowances, et al-

What is often impossible for you to know as a Purchaser is that however you make contact with the Travel Vendor, if they don't have a sales office in your area, your trip is relegated to the consolidator.

While the Vendor itself may or may not be open enough to share that information with you; please notice that the Australian specific "rules" will be applied to your trip, regardless of how you book.

If that is true, what difference does it make which office you are contacting to make the buy?

Incidentally, your initial complaint about surcharges to qualify for price decreases ties into this quite neatly.

Non-Australians have the option of cancelling and rebooking in order to catch a late breaking offer like that, so the Vendors usually throw in the discount to keep the bookkeeping down to a minimum. :)

I believe that Jim and Stan are giving us a very lawfully correct version of the story, not what actually often happens in practice. I emailed my Aussie friend on this issue.

As I earlier stated he lived in the US for 5 years as a National Sales Mgr for an Aussie firm. He has been back in OZ for about 4 years. While in the US he used then, and continues to use, the same TA as I. He had an Aussie passport then as now, but booked everything through our TA. He was treated like everyone else living in the US, with the same booking, etc. opportunities as we all had. His Aussie passport didn't affect his bookings. About a year before being reassigned back to Oz, he changed his address for mailing purposes to a UPS Store close to his house in San Diego. He still maintains that address today. He continues to book cruises on O, as well as other lines, using the same TA as I do. His O cruise club membership lists his San Diego address. The Consolidators in Oz see nothing of his bookings, and do not take part in the process.

He confirms that he has multi friends that operate basically the same to escape the Aussie overlords.

So there are the two sides of the equation: (a) Jim and Stan's precise rendering of the Law and: (b) What actually occurs for some/many.

So there are the two sides of the equation: (a) Jim and Stan's precise rendering of the Law and: (b) What actually occurs for some/many.

Of course there are people (particularly wealthy people) who are lucky or smart enough to play the system. I would be shocked if there weren't

Lets remember, however, that the majority of Australians would never have had a legitimate reason for having a mailing address outside of their own Country, and that those who have already been using the Consolidators for fairly consistent travel up until now raise a red flag if they stop booking suddenly.

These Consolidators are quite adept at reporting their clients who stray elsewhere, and because the Travel Vendors must maintain a facade of stunned innocence (because of the law situation), all of the repercussions fall onto the consumer.

I'm afraid that your friend is simply the exception who proves the rule.

I can match him with 75 who are not so lucky

and more and more, if I ask my buddies in Oz :o

Edited by JimandStan

In addition to limited cabin selection, unless you have a whack of frequent flyer points, booking after the final payment date carries a high risk of getting assigned crappy flights (not that you'd be guaranteed good flights even if you booked early with non-deviated air :rolleyes:).

You may still be able to deviate at another $175pp (has this increased yet again?) but chances are preferred routes are sold out or have a hefty price supplement to them.

I have read through this whole thread and find some errors stated. It is not a blanket rule that all cruise lines forbid you use anything but an Australian TA or consolidator. Certain cruise lines do but I know for certain that with Seabourn I could use a travel agent in other countries. I booked last year with a U.S. agent and another friend from here has used a U.K. and a U.S. agent without requiring a U.S. address. I know I have heard others talk about other cruise lines that allow this flexibility.

The TA that I usually use is based in Sydney and she has managed to get price drops for me and as she works a lot with Crystal so can get it for me with them as well.

So to put the blame entirely on Australian consolidators or Travel agents is not correct.

Edited by frantic36

I have read through this whole thread and find some errors stated.

I don't think so, but please, go on....

It is not a blanket rule that all cruise lines forbid you use anything but an Australian TA or consolidator. Certain cruise lines do but I know for certain that with Seabourn I could use a travel agent in other countries.

You are correct, which is what I stated in Post #22 in this Thread.

Earlier than that Post, the topic of the Thread was why Oceania was selling through a Consolidator, down under.

I booked last year with a U.S. agent and another friend from here has used a U.K. and a U.S. agent without requiring a U.S. address. I know I have heard others talk about other cruise lines that allow this flexibility.

Yes, well as I say, if the Line has a Sales Office in Oz, then they would not need to sell through a local Consolidator.

So far, our facts appear to agree.

The TA that I usually use is based in Sydney and she has managed to get price drops for me and as she works a lot with Crystal so can get it for me with them as well

If you have found an Australian Agent who provides even the most basic customer Service and/or any kind of serious benefits to her clients, please refer her to everybody that you ever meet in your life!!!

The ones that I hear about, ad nauseam, can't be reached on the telephone for weeks at a time and then reduce their clients literally to tears by threatening to cancel cruise bookings against their will if the Passengers aren't willing to ante up last minute surcharges to qualify for just released Promotions. :eek:

So to put the blame entirely on Australian consolidators or Travel agents is not correct.

I can only say that in the eleven years that I have been posting on Cruise Critic, yours is the very first positive post that I have ever read about the Australian Consolidators or Agents. Hopefully this is a sign that things are improving!

Yes I am lucky to have found a good TA. In fact even though the TA in the States offers more on board credit I have decided to just use the Australian TA. She gets back to me quickly with solutions to problems, gives me some on board credit and last time I had flowers and good French Champagne in my room as well. So I do recommend her to friends and family.......thank you for your suggestion.:rolleyes:

There are quite a few TA's in Australia that do as you say but there are good ones as well.

I would always recommend booking through a Cruise Accredited TA who should have extensive cruising knowledge and rapport with the Cruise Companies and/or Consolidators to provide optimal service and work for you and with you.

Best way to find one is by word of mouth!

Having worked (past) as a TA for a number of years I know that a good TA will do their best to provide the best experience and outcome for their clients where possible.

There is a saying "Without a Travel Agent you are on your own"!!

Looking forward to being on Marina in 3 weeks time!!

I am surprised to hear that at least a few of you saw the price go up after booking and final payment, as this has not (yet, anyway, of the cruises I've actually tracked) been the case for me. Of course, I'm in the minority as we book a cheap inside cabin. I can see what's behind raising the price as time goes on (after all, many of us booked with an "early booking discount" and this ends up being fair to us!) but I just haven't experienced a price increase yet. Perhaps it's just because Oceania seldom has trouble selling the inside cabins, and those are the ones we go for - and with other cabins, they monkey around with the price.

I agree that working with a travel agent is the way to go. Ours consistently gives us the best price and shipboard credit.

Yes, I think the air deviation fee is currently $175 pp.

Edited by roothy123

I am surprised to hear that at least a few of you saw the price change (up OR down) after booking and final payment, as this has not (yet, anyway, of the cruises I've actually tracked) been the case for us. Of course, we're in the minority as we book a cheap inside cabin, and I don't think Oceania ever has trouble selling those.

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...

Although we live in Australia we usually book our cruises with a USA travel agent. Much better service and prices. We have only cruised with Silversea and Seabourn.

Earlier this year we thought we would try Oceania. We did the usual rounds of USA travel agents and received quotes. All these travel agents knew we lived in Australia. None of them mentioned there was a problem.

With your excellent knowledge of the situation in Australia with cruise companies, are you saying we would have had a problem had we gone ahead and booked Oceania through a USA travel agent?

We did not book, in the end, as we could not get a suite.

Thank you for your time.

Although we live in Australia we usually book our cruises with a USA travel agent. Much better service and prices. We have only cruised with Silversea and Seabourn.

Earlier this year we thought we would try Oceania. We did the usual rounds of USA travel agents and received quotes. All these travel agents knew we lived in Australia. None of them mentioned there was a problem.

With your excellent knowledge of the situation in Australia with cruise companies, are you saying we would have had a problem had we gone ahead and booked Oceania through a USA travel agent?

We did not book, in the end, as we could not get a suite.

Thank you for your time.

In a word, yes. Although many USA agents are unfortunately unaware of the restriction, Australian Clients do not qualify for the deals which are available to the North American clientele.

Sorry to be so thick JimandStan but if we had booked with a US TA with a price and obc that was acceptable to us, what would have happened?

Would we have trouble when boarding? I am a bit confused. Thank you.

Sorry to be so thick JimandStan but if we had booked with a US TA with a price and obc that was acceptable to us, what would have happened?

Would we have trouble when boarding? I am a bit confused. Thank you.

You would not have been able to book with that USA based Travel Agent unless you fudged your personal details in some way.

The problem with doing that (just like lying on ANY application) is that you put yourself in the position of constantly waiting for the ax to fall.

The benefits aren't anywhere near worth the risk-

I am surprised to hear that at least a few of you saw the price change (up OR down) after booking and final payment, as this has not (yet, anyway, of the cruises I've actually tracked) been the case for us. Of course, we're in the minority as we book a cheap inside cabin, and I don't think Oceania ever has trouble selling those.

You might find it interesting to compare the price of the "cheap " insides with the new prices published. The inside cabin are from what I have seen are only a few hundred dollars less compared to the Verandas.... The gap is all but gone

Interesting conversation. We booked with a very good deal in October for our July sailing. Since then the price on the (US) website has gone up a couple of thousand, making ours look like almost half price- a friend commented that a few weeks ago. (I said 'I did NOT get half price!) It includes air now (which we don't need at all, it is in/out of the US anyway) and nobody has asked for more money, and we have free internet and a couple hundred in shipboard credit. (That has gone up in the new offering, btw, but it does not affect us).

I feel as if I got a good deal.

Interesting conversation. We booked with a very good deal in October for our July sailing. Since then the price on the (US) website has gone up a couple of thousand, making ours look like almost half price- a friend commented that a few weeks ago. (I said 'I did NOT get half price!) It includes air now (which we don't need at all, it is in/out of the US anyway) and nobody has asked for more money, and we have free internet and a couple hundred in shipboard credit. (That has gone up in the new offering, btw, but it does not affect us).

I feel as if I got a good deal.

You did. And so did I, and plenty of other people, at least non-Australians and non-New Zealanders! We just got a brochure from O and I checked our cruise in August again. The price is the same for all stateroom categories, and the air is still included, but there is no mention of the free gratuities and free internet that I got last fall.

I think everyone should stop torturing themselves over what price they paid.

I have a friend who goes shopping, finds something she loves, buys it and then goes on line to see if she could have gotten it for less on Ebay. That's no way to live IMO.

When you book you should feel you got value for dollar paid. Prices go up and down. That is inevitable but not worth the emotional torture some put themselves through.

Well, I certainly agree with you, pacheco18. In my case, however, until I make my final payment, I will probably keep looking, more out of curiosity rather than need. I don't think we've ever had an Oceania cruise price go down or up, but now I'm too curious not to look!

Well, I certainly agree with you, pacheco18. In my case, however, until I make my final payment, I will probably keep looking, more out of curiosity rather than need. I don't think we've ever had an Oceania cruise price go down or up, but now I'm too curious not to look!

I have had prices go up -- an increase is more common on unique itineraries. That is why I tend to book the day the itineraries come out.

When prices go down, my TA can always get a reduction for me. Someone on the roll call always seems to know when that happens. LOL I have only had it happen once - in 2009 -- when the economy hit bottom.

I am not inclined to even look.

I have had prices go up -- an increase is more common on unique itineraries. That is why I tend to book the day the itineraries come out.

When prices go down, my TA can always get a reduction for me. Someone on the roll call always seems to know when that happens. LOL I have only had it happen once - in 2009 -- when the economy hit bottom.

I am not inclined to even look.

Whether a cruise or a car, if the price and the product both appear to me as a good deal...then I buy. Case closed...finished...

I do not continue to see what others or later or earlier customers paid... My decision was based on my appreciation alone and not compared to anyone elses

You did. And so did I, and plenty of other people, at least non-Australians and non-New Zealanders! We just got a brochure from O and I checked our cruise in August again. The price is the same for all stateroom categories, and the air is still included, but there is no mention of the free gratuities and free internet that I got last fall.

I am not looking to check for lower prices, but to see if the upgrade-requested room is available, I was just surprised it had gone up so! And I do live in Australia-I booked through my Australian TA- and I still feel like I got a good deal. Maybe things are better price-wise down under these days.