Found Out Why Cruise Staff Don't Go to Port Very Often.

JustCruiseMe

Seems Every time we pull in there it's from 3 to midnight. So we just relax on board. Last visit it was actually raining, so they closed the roof and we had an extended swim. I was just telling my kids they've sailed three time to San Juan, and have yet to be there.

That's a shame..I would love to take my daughter to see San Juan. :confused:

As another poster said there is nothing wrong with SJU, in fact we are cruising out of there in November but except for the 2 historical sites that we've seen it's really just a city and not a pretty one. Now I am sure there are areas that might be great. We rented a car and drove 70 miles one way just meandering and what we saw was blighted area after blighted area. We ate at Burger King and shopped at Walmart. I'm sure someone might know of better areas but we didn't see them..I was sad too because I booked that cruise mainly for PR. Oh and it was the only stop on the whole cruise that many guys outside the port wanted to rip us off to take us to pick up rental car. They were harsh and demanding and argumentative...all except 2 of them who were helpful. That was my experience. It was a dream destination that ended up "meh".

Wow, I'd say that you missed a lot of what the San Juan area has to offer!

There is, of course, picturesque Old San Juan with its cobblestone streets, pastel painted buildings, and historical forts like El Morro. There are also the Condado and Isla Verde areas among others.

I have eaten in some excellent locally owned restaurants there as well (as opposed to Burger King) such as Metropol and Mi Casita both located in Isla Verde.

I'm curious too! I booked my next cruise on Valor out of San Juan and also a hotel 2 days early because I've heard such good things. Now there are 2 posts in this thread saying they don't like San Juan! Eeek, so what's wrong with San Juan?

It's a personal choice I guess, but I LOVE San Juan! I used to do drug enforcement in the Caribbean and we pulled in there quite often and it was my favorite liberty port in the Caribbean! It's not expensive, there are BEAUTIFUL women who were always very friendly, and plenty of things to do all within walking distance! When I have pulled in there on cruises it has been the same, plus I don't have to worry how much I have to drink when I head back to the ship!

The place does have a little crime and some shady spots, but if you just use common sense I don't think that is an issue. Love it!:D

We were on OSJ last month for 24 hours before our cruise. We loved it! The people were so nice and we thought it was a pretty town for walking around in. We also took a night tour the evening we got there, so we sort of knew where we were going in the daylight the next day. We enjoyed the forts and shopping. I guess everyone experiences things differently. We didn't think we'd enjoy it as much as we did.

As another poster said there is nothing wrong with SJU, in fact we are cruising out of there in November but except for the 2 historical sites that we've seen it's really just a city and not a pretty one. Now I am sure there are areas that might be great. We rented a car and drove 70 miles one way just meandering and what we saw was blighted area after blighted area. We ate at Burger King and shopped at Walmart. I'm sure someone might know of better areas but we didn't see them..I was sad too because I booked that cruise mainly for PR. Oh and it was the only stop on the whole cruise that many guys outside the port wanted to rip us off to take us to pick up rental car. They were harsh and demanding and argumentative...all except 2 of them who were helpful. That was my experience. It was a dream destination that ended up "meh".
WOW! You should probably stay home. San Juan is full of beautiful experiences waiting to be had. If you stick to Senor Frogs and all the other usual tourist crap you got what you deserved. You ate at Buger king and stppped at Walmart? Enough said....

You must have went the wrong way then. I've vacationed in Puerto Rico and stayed about 40 miles outside of San Juan, just north of El Yunque, and it was gorgeous. We swam in waterfalls, kayaked a bioluminescent bay and saw the most beautiful variety of tropical flowers. There wasn't anything "meh" about it; I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

June 10 I will be doing the exact same thing, maybe in the same place - in a condo on the Wyndham property. Puerto Rico is so much more than San Juan!!!

WOW! You should probably stay home. San Juan is full of beautiful experiences waiting to be had. If you stick to Senor Frogs and all the other usual tourist crap you got what you deserved. You ate at Buger king and stppped at Walmart? Enough said....

Never been to a senor frogs and we don't drink and if you read my post we rented a car and drove 70 miles (up to and past El Yunque). I will say it again you can have San Juan and Puerto Rico and if comes to going there or staying home, I'll stay home. They have NOTHING that I found there. It is a city, a few pretty streets but that's all we saw...we went looking...it's terribly blighted and if you read up on it you'll know why their economy tanked before the US. Nothing special in San Juan IMHO, we are flying in there for our next cruise but definitely won't even try to go earlier to do anymore sightseeing of PR. As I said there may be some lovely areas,,, in 140 miles round trip we never saw anything. DH did like the JOse Canseco ball field....big whoop.

We shopped at WM and ate at Burger King because that is alllllll there was. Just a city, just a town..blah at that.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

It really isn't all they have. You should do some pre-trip research next time. Lots of great chefs have made San Juan a destination. I am having trouble narrowing down my options for the city.

Edited by aricczona

Yes, we were just there and I had never thought of it but when told they (carnival) has to pay for every person getting off the ship to the country/port.

This is nonsense.

It appears that the crew was having a bit of fun at your expense.

ALL cruise lines pay port charges for all PAYING passengers onboard - regardless of them going ashore or not.

Cruise lines DO NOT pay port charges for crewmembers.

Neither do the crew.

When we have family members sailing with the ship, those family are placed on the crew list and given crew ID cards specifically so they and the cruise line do not have to pay port charges for them.

As another poster said there is nothing wrong with SJU, in fact we are cruising out of there in November but except for the 2 historical sites that we've seen it's really just a city and not a pretty one. Now I am sure there are areas that might be great. We rented a car and drove 70 miles one way just meandering and what we saw was blighted area after blighted area. We ate at Burger King and shopped at Walmart. I'm sure someone might know of better areas but we didn't see them..I was sad too because I booked that cruise mainly for PR. Oh and it was the only stop on the whole cruise that many guys outside the port wanted to rip us off to take us to pick up rental car. They were harsh and demanding and argumentative...all except 2 of them who were helpful. That was my experience. It was a dream destination that ended up "meh".[/quote Thank you for the clarification. Clearly the OP was misinformed.

ALL cruise lines pay port charges for all PAYING passengers on board - regardless of them going ashore or not.

Cruise lines DO NOT pay port charges for crew-members.

Neither do the crew.

When we have family members sailing with the ship, those family are placed on the crew list and given crew ID cards specifically so they and the cruise line do not have to pay port charges for them.

Thank you for your clarification, it appears the OP was misinformed. Perhaps they should give the port a new chance based upon that.:D

Edited by aricczona

Never been to a senor frogs and we don't drink and if you read my post we rented a car and drove 70 miles (up to and past El Yunque). I will say it again you can have San Juan and Puerto Rico and if comes to going there or staying home, I'll stay home. They have NOTHING that I found there. It is a city, a few pretty streets but that's all we saw...we went looking...it's terribly blighted and if you read up on it you'll know why their economy tanked before the US. Nothing special in San Juan IMHO, we are flying in there for our next cruise but definitely won't even try to go earlier to do anymore sightseeing of PR. As I said there may be some lovely areas,,, in 140 miles round trip we never saw anything. DH did like the JOse Canseco ball field....big whoop.

We shopped at WM and ate at Burger King because that is alllllll there was. Just a city, just a town..blah at that.

One of the saddest travel posts I've ever read.

If you didn't like it you didn't like it however your last comment negates your entire post. I have watched many a travel/food show that shows MANY food options in Puerto Rico and amazingly enough, not one was a Burger King.

And I'm not really sure what the comment about the economy has to do with anything. Implying that it is run down and poor? I have been to several countries that have a lot of poverty. We spent ten days in Costa Rica in areas where the homes didn't even have windows, just cut outs in the wall. And we had a great time. Just because they were poor doesn't mean they arent nice people in a country that has a lot to offer when you are visiting.

You made the choice to shop at Walmart and eat at Burger King. Those were far from your only options.

Edited by BeachChik

TO THE OP:So it has been effectively proven that your facts about crew having to pay port fees, as well as your assessment of the city has been false. Hopefully you will give it another chance and open your mind to what IT HAS TO OFFER! :p

Found out on our cruise last month that if they do they have to pay port fees and taxes.

Someone posted this on john Heald's page and he said it was completely false that crew members had to pay when they got off of the ship. There were a lot of crew members that got off at ports on our cruise last week, especially ports with free wifi.

I'm curious too! I booked my next cruise on Valor out of San Juan and also a hotel 2 days early because I've heard such good things. Now there are 2 posts in this thread saying they don't like San Juan! Eeek, so what's wrong with San Juan?

We are sailing on the Valor in January. We rented a condo and are spending 7 days beforehand in PR. We have found no shortage of wonderful things to do and see :) Check out the "ports" forum here on CC for some ideas.

Edited by Athankfulheart

TO THE OP:So it has been effectively proven that your facts about crew having to pay port fees, as well as your assessment of the city has been false. Hopefully you will give it another chance and open your mind to what IT HAS TO OFFER! :p

The op already apologized and admitted they heard false information.

To the people posting: please read the thread and not just the title before posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I don't know if this is mentioned, but the ship has minimum staffing requirements for safety when in port. We were friends with the future cruise sales person on another line. Sometimes she was required to stay aboard to keep that number up, even though she was off duty.

On our last 2 cruises we saw a lot of the dining room crew get off and go shopping and to the beach...we ran into them several times...when shopping they were dressed in reg. clothes, not uniforms....ALOT of them were at the beach and were sitting and swimming with us...they were partying!

You must have went the wrong way then. I've vacationed in Puerto Rico and stayed about 40 miles outside of San Juan, just north of El Yunque, and it was gorgeous. We swam in waterfalls, kayaked a bioluminescent bay and saw the most beautiful variety of tropical flowers. There wasn't anything "meh" about it; I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did you take an excursion? We've been a few times and want to do something different. This sounds awesome!

You know I never thought about it but I am guessing you paid for it just in case you want to go anyway.

PS: I'll never get off in SJU again either.

Was SJU not a good port to visit? Just wondering I am going there for the first time in December

Hey amazing info..we are sailing on the Valor with you out of SJU so perhaps you can tell me where to go for the day that we didn't and we didn't see anything worth going to again...Some pretty streets, the forts,...lots of blight. Downtown market, small and been there done that kind of thing...so as I said I found absolutely nothing worth spending my time doing again. If you'd like to show me something for the day before we sail I am all ears....Have no beach interests as we own our own beach house but I do like pretty sights...So what do you have for me?

Rented a car at Charlie Car's downtown as I said drove 140 miles and was terribly disappointed.

Am looking forward to your ideas, remember we can't do bio bay as we will and were only there for the day or waterfalls for that matter, remember we are and were on a cruise.

Glad you love it, unless we see something different you can keep every inch of it! It was a dream destination perhaps my sights were set too high but the blight...oh and La Perla..lol..the major housing projects with crime so bad the cops won't go in being right there near the city wasn't something lovely either.

I am named after a Puerto Rican and know lots of people from PR and even they have said the country has gone downhill tremendously but they still say there are pretty places in the touristy beach areas.

My mind was open and so were my eyes and I still say, Meh...but you tell me where to go on our day there and if we can I will and I'll even meet you on the ship and tell you what I think. How about that?