Found Out Why Cruise Staff Don't Go to Port Very Often.

JustCruiseMe

On my latest cruise, I found many crew/staff members ashore. The main reason they went ashore was for communication/wifi. On the ship, they have to pay for the slow internet like the rest of us (found that out on Behind the Fun Tour). In ports, the internet is often cheaper and/or faster. If you ever see a bunch of people with laptops near a restaurant or bar, it's likely crew, catching up with loved ones. They also go ashore to purchase supplies or everyday things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by seannyice81

I'm curious too! I booked my next cruise on Valor out of San Juan and also a hotel 2 days early because I've heard such good things. Now there are 2 posts in this thread saying they don't like San Juan! Eeek, so what's wrong with San Juan?

We love San Juan! We've been there multiple times. The tour of the forts was very interesting, walking through old San Juan was beautiful. On our Victory cruise, the ship was sailing at 10:00 p.m., so we were able to enjoy the street fair that was being held that evening on Paseo de la Princesa, within walking distance from the ship. We were able watch artisans create their crafts, enjoy some local delicacies, dance and listen to music. Some of our best memories are from San Juan.

We love San Juan! We've been there multiple times. The tour of the forts was very interesting, walking through old San Juan was beautiful. On our Victory cruise, the ship was sailing at 10:00 p.m., so we were able to enjoy the street fair that was being held that evening on Paseo de la Princesa, within walking distance from the ship. We were able watch artisans create their crafts, enjoy some local delicacies, dance and listen to music. Some of our best memories are from San Juan.

Great to hear lots of good experiences in SJ. I'm looking forward to it.

We have been told my staff members to not believe every story that you are told by crew members. A lot of them make up sad sap stories to make the passengers feel guilty and tip them more. I am not saying this is true for all but some see the story telling as a means of income. Just saying I was told to be on guard.

I used to be a singer for two different cruise lines. There was never an issue getting off of the ship. A lot of the staff stay on board because they are still working. As an entertainer, my shows were at night, so I was able to get off at any port I chose:)

I agree with you. I mean its been a long time since I worked on a cruise as seen in my signature, but we never had to pay to get off at the ports. I mostly worked in the afternoon and nights since I was the dj, so had the days to do whatever I wanted.

We have been told my staff members to not believe every story that you are told by crew members. A lot of them make up sad sap stories to make the passengers feel guilty and tip them more. I am not saying this is true for all but some see the story telling as a means of income. Just saying I was told to be on guard.

What are the odds. We sailed the same ship two years in a row. Two different waiters on both those cruise showed us the picture of his precious back home.

It was the same picture.

People fall for these sob stories.

Edited by Lace

PS: I'll never get off in SJU again either.

San Juan's a perfectly delightful port that you can walk around all over the old part of the city

without fear or even paranoia!!

We took a taxi all the way to Plaza Las Americas (Scary! :D )

..spent 3 hrs. shopping, and got back to the ship OK - no worries.

No Sharks. No Jets. No Gangs. No stickups! :eek:

Amazingly safe in fact!

Edited by Aplmac

I'm curious too! I booked my next cruise on Valor out of San Juan

and also a hotel 2 days early because I've heard such good things.

Now there are 2 posts in this thread saying they don't like San Juan! Eeek,

so what's wrong with San Juan?

There's not a darned thing wrong with San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Lovely place... But they speak Spanish there!! :eek:

Edited by Aplmac

I'm curious too! I booked my next cruise on Valor out of San Juan and also a hotel 2 days early because I've heard such good things. Now there are 2 posts in this thread saying they don't like San Juan! Eeek, so what's wrong with San Juan?

As another poster said there is nothing wrong with SJU, in fact we are cruising out of there in November but except for the 2 historical sites that we've seen it's really just a city and not a pretty one. Now I am sure there are areas that might be great. We rented a car and drove 70 miles one way just meandering and what we saw was blighted area after blighted area. We ate at Burger King and shopped at Walmart. I'm sure someone might know of better areas but we didn't see them..I was sad too because I booked that cruise mainly for PR. Oh and it was the only stop on the whole cruise that many guys outside the port wanted to rip us off to take us to pick up rental car. They were harsh and demanding and argumentative...all except 2 of them who were helpful. That was my experience. It was a dream destination that ended up "meh".

I don't think this is correct. The ship has paid the port fees way before most passengers have even gotten off the ship. Much less the staff, who usually are not able to get off before noon.

I agree port fees are paid whether you get off the ship or not. Staff can get off the ship depending on their work schedule. When I'm in a port I see many cruise staff.

Gary

Why?

Seems Every time we pull in there it's from 3 to midnight. So we just relax on board. Last visit it was actually raining, so they closed the roof and we had an extended swim. I was just telling my kids they've sailed three time to San Juan, and have yet to be there.

As another poster said there is nothing wrong with SJU, in fact we are cruising out of there in November but except for the 2 historical sites that we've seen it's really just a city and not a pretty one. Now I am sure there are areas that might be great. We rented a car and drove 70 miles one way just meandering and what we saw was blighted area after blighted area. We ate at Burger King and shopped at Walmart. I'm sure someone might know of better areas but we didn't see them..I was sad too because I booked that cruise mainly for PR. Oh and it was the only stop on the whole cruise that many guys outside the port wanted to rip us off to take us to pick up rental car. They were harsh and demanding and argumentative...all except 2 of them who were helpful. That was my experience. It was a dream destination that ended up "meh".

You must have went the wrong way then. I've vacationed in Puerto Rico and stayed about 40 miles outside of San Juan, just north of El Yunque, and it was gorgeous. We swam in waterfalls, kayaked a bioluminescent bay and saw the most beautiful variety of tropical flowers. There wasn't anything "meh" about it; I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A LOT of staff get off in Alaska, especially in the first few cruises and last few of the year. There is so much to see for many of them and the ships we have sailed have never needed to tender so it's easy to get of for an our or 2.

I can see why not many get off in Encinada or ports like that. Better to get laundry done and nap.

Found out on our cruise last month that if they do they have to pay port fees and taxes.

so completely false.

200000% wrong.

the reason they typically don't go off the ship is they either would rather take a nap during their "off" time, they still have to actually work, or they've seen everything they can see in that port and don't have the desire to do it again.

remember, these people do the same bunch of ports for months and months on end. eventually you can only see the same bars and tourist stuff so many times before taking that nap is more palatable.

and this is coming from a dear friend who works on a ship.