NCL Dawn vs Royal Princess - is Quebec City worth it?

Tapi

Hi:

We're looking at a Canada/New England cruise for October 2014. We're currently booked on the Royal Princess sailing roundtrip from NYC, mainly lured by the fact that it's a brand new, beautiful ship. However, we're now second guessing the decision and wondering if we should take the Norwegian Dawn sailing from Quebec City to Boston, mainly lured by the fact that the itinerary begins with an overnight in Quebec City.

So, New ship on Princess but no Quebec City, or older NCL ship with an overnight in Quebec City? Is this port of call worth it?

We only have 7 vacation days to play with, so unfortunately we can't do anything longer than that :(

Hi:

We're looking at a Canada/New England cruise for October 2014. We're currently booked on the Royal Princess sailing roundtrip from NYC, mainly lured by the fact that it's a brand new, beautiful ship. However, we're now second guessing the decision and wondering if we should take the Norwegian Dawn sailing from Quebec City to Boston, mainly lured by the fact that the itinerary begins with an overnight in Quebec City.

So, New ship on Princess but no Quebec City, or older NCL ship with an overnight in Quebec City? Is this port of call worth it?

We only have 7 vacation days to play with, so unfortunately we can't do anything longer than that :(

You have to decide what is more important to you. I was on the Royal

In December and she is a wonderful ship. I've also been to Quebec City.

And it's a really neat old city. If Quebec City is a place you really want to

Visit, I would book the Dawn. Yes the Royal is a nicer ship than the Dawn.

But sometimes you have to take a less exciting ship to do an exciting

Itinerary.

As much as I love Princess, I'd say take NCL for the 2 days in Quebec City. It is beautiful and historic. Fun to shop and explore. Several years ago I took a 14 night on Celebrity - a round trip from NJ that overnighted in Quebec.

I don't know how important the quality of the ship is versus the itineray but the Dawn is a major step down from Royal. I haven't been on the Royal (only Ruby so far) but from all I've seen and read she is beautiful. The Dawn is drab and the food is aweful unless you eat in Specialty restaurants. If the ship is important to you at all, don't change to the Dawn. You will be very disappointed.

TAPI, we are currently booked on the Royal for the REPO. Check your pricing as I think all the sailings on the Royal from NY may have had a price drop, as ours did.

With that said, yes, Quebec is worth seeing. We sailed the Dawn to Bermuda right after our Oasis cruise. Such a difference but we had a great time. The Dawn is older but in great shape. We enjoyed the freestyle concept and for us, we had no complaints. :)

Edited by janetz

Check your pricing as I think all the sailings on the Royal from NY may have had a price drop, as ours did.

Thanks. Yes! Our sailing also had a price drop of about $150pp. I'll keep checking for more. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Yes! Our sailing also had a price drop of about $150pp. I'll keep checking for more. :)

Also, for our sailing, doing a mock booking online at first the balconies were showing 100 OBC. But after choosing a cabin the credit was 200. So for our sailing all the balconies have 200 OBC though you do not see it till you go through the process. If you sign into my Princess and start a new search yours may be listed at 50 but could turn out to be 100. Check that also

While we would always choose Princess over NCL we have never felt that the round trip Canada New England cruises offered much in the way of seeing Canada. We did the one-way NYC to Quebec City a few years ago and the ports we visited in Canada were the highlight of the trip. So, if faced with your dilemma we just might sway to the NCL side with the mind set that we are going to enjoy the ports rather than focus on the ship. I guess it depends on which is important to you, but yes, Quebec City is really worth it.

We loved Quebec and had no problem with NCL food in the main dining hall. I've been on several lines and I find all the food (except Disneys..very very good) to pretty much be the same. I would pick going to Quebec.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

QUOTE:

IME and from what I've heard from others, avoid the main dining room on NCL unless you have very low expectations

Food is subjective. Everyone is different and can decide on their own if the food is to their liking.

What you "hear" is not always true. ;)

We found the food in the MDR fine and do not have low expectations.

We've cruised on both ships and while they are not in the same class and the Royal is much nicer (in my opinion), I think the itinerary on the Dawn from Boston to Quebec City is more interesting than the round trip from New York.

We've also done the round trip NE/Canada cruise on the Caribbean and it was a great cruise but our favorite stops were in Canada and it would have been nicer if it continued to Quebec. We probably should have taken the 10 day Princess cruise but like you, we were limited to 7 days.

I would weigh the itineraries against each other and pick what you prefer. Food is subjective and like some have said, we had no issues with the MDR food on the Dawn. And if you choose, the specialty restaurant selection on NCL is quite fantastic with a lot of options. Both cruises will be nice and my suggestion would be to go with the itinerary that you prefer. In either case, have a great cruise!

Dave

I don't know how important the quality of the ship is versus the itineray but the Dawn is a major step down from Royal. I haven't been on the Royal (only Ruby so far) but from all I've seen and read she is beautiful. The Dawn is drab and the food is aweful unless you eat in Specialty restaurants. If the ship is important to you at all, don't change to the Dawn. You will be very disappointed.

I've been on both...the Dawn is a

huge step down.

Edited by kendon

Thanks for everyone's responses. I talked it over with my wife and we've decided to stick with the Royal Princess. Although going to Quebec City would be wonderful, we now believe that the drawbacks of sailing on the Dawn would outweigh the benefits. We'd probably love day 1 in Quebec City on the Dawn and then spend the rest of the cruise wishing we'd taken the Royal :o. And she made a very good point. Quebec City is close enough that we can always choose to just fly there for a quick weekend getaway sometime.

Once again, thanks for the responses :)

Does the Princess ship depart from Manhattan or Brooklyn? That makes a big difference (to me at least). I'd rather not go all the way to Brooklyn.

I wouldn't hesitate to take any NCL ship. A dealbreaker (again, for me) is the lack of a wraparound outdoor promenade. I don't think the Royal Princess has this. I think Princess improved the bathrooms and showers on the Royal Princess, but I think it's hard to beat the showers on NCL in standard cabin categories.

I think much depends on how the OP prefers to cruise, and what is important to him/her. NCL is my favorite of the cruiselines I've sailed, by a wide margin, because they do best the things that're important to me. YMMV.

One of my dream cruises is to take a cold weather cruise on a Princess ship that has one of those Window Suites. Those look incredible, though expensive!

Having sailed on the NCL Dawn...all I can say is sail for the ports and not the ship. The Dawn was our worse cruise ever, and the food in the MDR was at times horrible! Sorry...JMO:)

Agree 1000%. The Dawn was one of my least favorite cruises and I will never sail that ship again under any circumstances, and especially not for just one port.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I talked it over with my wife and we've decided to stick with the Royal Princess. Although going to Quebec City would be wonderful, we now believe that the drawbacks of sailing on the Dawn would outweigh the benefits. We'd probably love day 1 in Quebec City on the Dawn and then spend the rest of the cruise wishing we'd taken the Royal :o. And she made a very good point. Quebec City is close enough that we can always choose to just fly there for a quick weekend getaway sometime.

Once again, thanks for the responses :)

Very wise choice....enjoy:)

Does the Princess ship depart from Manhattan or Brooklyn? That makes a big difference (to me at least). I'd rather not go all the way to Brooklyn.

I wouldn't hesitate to take any NCL ship. A dealbreaker (again, for me) is the lack of a wraparound outdoor promenade. I don't think the Royal Princess has this. I think Princess improved the bathrooms and showers on the Royal Princess, but I think it's hard to beat the showers on NCL in standard cabin categories.

I think much depends on how the OP prefers to cruise, and what is important to him/her. NCL is my favorite of the cruiselines I've sailed, by a wide margin, because they do best the things that're important to me. YMMV.

One of my dream cruises is to take a cold weather cruise on a Princess ship that has one of those Window Suites. Those look incredible, though expensive!

Don't let the lack of a promenade deck on the Royal be a deal breaker for you...there are plenty of beautiful areas for viewing on that deck, as well a a lovely area on the Lido deck called the Horizon Terrace. Thought I'd feel the same way, but you would LOVE the ship...trust me.

I have been to Quebec City and can not plug it enough. It is the most European city in North America from the star fortress of the citadel and the walls of the old city to the mix of people and language. It is immensely walkable if you can go up hills. You can buy a coffee and go outside in hundreds of places to sit beside a cannon in the sunshine to drink it.

I have no opinion of the two ships and know the OP will ultimately have to make a value choice. However, there is no place like Quebec.

Later,

M