Using O Airfare Included in Price to Venice Help!

Rootbeer4

Would so much appreciate any guidance! Husband and I are taking our first Oceania cruise in July, 7 days Venice/Rome. When checking with ta about direct flights from Nyc, found it would add at least $2000 to the trip. That is with using the airfare allowance.

I would like to get the "lowdown" on using the flights provided by O. I figure it can't be a total nightmare, or I would be reading about it here on this board. Flight info is given 75 days before flight. So just wait and see?

Plan on going 2 days early for time in Venice. Thanks so much!

and using O's airfare, you need to pay a deviation fee, now $175 pp, I believe.

You could have done this 270 days before the start of your trip, and when using a deviation , you CAN request the flights YOU want, through your TA.

O will come back to you, through your TA, and let you know if you must pay extra to get those flights.

OR, you can just have your TA tell O the dates YOU want to fly in to Venice, and home from end of cruise port, and they will come back to you with an itinerary that may not cost you any more than the deviation fee.

If you don't like the itinerary, you can ask them to try again and again, until you get one you like. You don't pay till you accept one of their itineraries.

Your TA should have known about the deviation option, and your flights could have been booked long ago.

People who plan to use O's air and plan to arrive the day the cruise starts, and fly home the day the cruise ends, do not need a deviation, and would get their flight info 75 days pre cruise.

As an aside, I would doubt any of their itineraries would be a direct flight to Venice, or it would be QUITE pricey!

Good luck!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002
clarity

For the sake of everyone, please be aware that using the term "Direct Flight" Is NOT a non-stop which I believe you are looking for.

A non-stop is just that, a flight from your origin to final destination with no stops in between.

A Direct Flight by definition is quite different and is a flight that makes at least one stop and possibly more between your origin and final destination and has a single Flight Number. It also can and sometimes does include a change of planes at an interim airport just like a connecting flight.

If you ask for a Direct Flight you will more than likely not get a non-stop as I believe you desire. It sounds as if your TA is not only not familiar with Oceania, he or she is also not familiar with airline terms and thus not suitable for booking almost anything.

Unfortunately, you are now so close to your cruise date that getting a reasonable priced Deviation will be extremely difficult as most good deviations book 270 days prior to your cruise.

Good luck with getting what you want.

Edited by rallydave

is that an extra $2,000 per person? Is so you could find cheaper than that from NYC even in the summer. Do some flight searching on Kayak.com

Agree with searching for your own air fare but, better to use itasoftware.com as it includes ALL airline except SW and Jet Blue and you don't want those anyway. A great source of flight info although you can't book there, you get all of the info to book from the site.

The commercial sites such as kayak, orbitz, expedia, etc do not include all of the flights that itasoftware does. Itasoftware sells the commercial version to most of the airlines so included more flights.

Whenever I hear "nonstop", I think of the George Carlin line:

"Nonstop? I don't want a nonstop flight. I want MY flight to stop SOMEWHERE...preferably at an airport!"

Our experience with using Oceania Air when traveling to Venice for a cruise (twice for us) is that they've flown us with Lufthansa both times--which has meant a change of planes in Frankfurt (Of course, we fly in from Los Angeles).

We've always flown in a few days early--meaning a deviation. I've checked the cost vs. "on our own" both times and it has always come out better to do it through Oceania--mostly because the pricing for the "credit" is not really related to the actual cost but to a fixed amount--so the credit really has never covered the actual airfare for us.

With a deviation, you can "call" your own flights, but also remember that they might charge you more in addition to the deviation fee if the cost of the chosen flight is higher than what they are paying. So, we've always done the deviation as to the date of arrival/departure, but left the flight schedule and airline choice to them. We've actually gotten very good flight assignments both times (even considering the stop in Frankfurt).

Also, note that there seem to be fewer flights to Venice from the US than some other airports...When we cruised out of Venice last June on Celebrity, we did our own air...and for convenience sake, we flew into Milan instead...Lots of flight choices there...Since we were flying in about a week early, it was wonderful as it allowed us to rent a car and make several stops along the way--Merano, Verona, Padua--and return the car to Hertz in Venice--right next to the Peoplemover stop...

So, if you are doing your own air arrangements, also consider that it may be easier and less expensive to fly to Milan...and then you have several options to get from there to Venice...

Agree with searching for your own air fare but, better to use itasoftware.com as it includes ALL airline except SW and Jet Blue and you don't want those anyway. A great source of flight info although you can't book there, you get all of the info to book from the site.

The commercial sites such as kayak, orbitz, expedia, etc do not include all of the flights that itasoftware does. Itasoftware sells the commercial version to most of the airlines so included more flights.

I agree, I just thought for someone not used to looking and booking their own, Kayak might have been an easier start to see what's out there.

I agree with thew others book your flights now

Ask the TA to check with Oceania for flights leaving on the day you want & returning on the day you want

Then see if that works for you

If not look for flights you want & see if there is any upcharge

Usually they can work something out & you only pay the deviation fee of $175 pp ...well worth it IMO

Delta have a non stop to Venice & from Rome others also have NON stops from FCO

You can choose 2 different carriers with Oceania air if the times work better

I would act today submitting your request

JMO

Lyn

Thanks rallydave. Great website.

Delta flies non-stop to Venice from JFK as does Alitalia. They code share so if you want to fly on a Delta plane make sure you look to see who is actually operating the flight. Because there's no competition for the non-stop JFK-VCE route, it's very pricey, especially at this late date. We are going to Venice in June (non cruise trip) and booked our tickets last October.

We thought about flying non-stop JFK-Milan as Steve suggested and taking the train to Venice. It would be a more reasonable option. Instead, we're flying AF through CDG in Premium Economy. This works better for us as we're leaving from Verona following a food and wine tour of Northern Italy. AF could be an option for you if you don't mind transiting through CDG. Premium Economy not much more than economy on DL. As others have said, don't waste any more time getting your flights in place.

Would so much appreciate any guidance! Husband and I are taking our first Oceania cruise in July, 7 days Venice/Rome. When checking with ta about direct flights from Nyc, found it would add at least $2000 to the trip. That is with using the airfare allowance.

I would like to get the "lowdown" on using the flights provided by O. I figure it can't be a total nightmare, or I would be reading about it here on this board. Flight info is given 75 days before flight. So just wait and see?

Plan on going 2 days early for time in Venice. Thanks so much!

Check again, someone has made an error..

Jancruz1

Yes! I did make an error with departure date. Cruise leaves Aug 15. Still not much time.

Have your TA contact the air dept with your dates you want to travel ask about what flights they will give you

Step 2 check http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to see the flights you would like

or you can just ask upfront for the flights you want now

After Oceania comes back with the flight info you have 48hrs to decide to take them & pay the deviation fee or decline & keep working with them to get flights suitable

I would not wait too much longer to start the process :)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Waiting for a call back from my ta right now. I am sure non stop flights will be out of the question due to cost and very limited flights.

So It comes down to this… if I am not going to get non stop flights, why pay extra in the form of a deviation? I absolutely would if I heard negative feedback about Os own travel connections. I don't expect happy campers arriving for their cruise if they just had an 8hr layover somewhere.

Also, if we wanted to arrive 2 days early to ensure we don't "miss the boat", would we need the deviation? I have heard multiple answers. If we do, we will.

Arrgh, better call my ta

:):)

Have your TA contact the air dept with your dates you want to travel ask about what flights they will give you

After Oceania comes back with the flight info you have 48hrs to decide to take them & pay the deviation fee or decline & keep working with them to get flights suitable

Lyn

Edited by Rootbeer4
didn't want multi quotes

YES If you want to arrive or depart any time other than the day the ship sails or arrives, you must do a deviation. Otherwise you will arrive on the day of departure and leave for home on the day of arrival.

This is what you want anyway to have the opportunity to choose your airline and routing. There have been stories regarding long layovers and flight on not so good airlines. Remember, CC only represents about 5% of cruisers.

Am concerned over your TA not explaining this to you that included air only includes day of departure/arrival flights. Quickly choose your requested flights and get them to your TA TODAY.

that flight search site is fantastic! 123 I found great flights on SAS with a super short stop in Copenhagen coming and going. My ta is calling O right now. And a super price. :D Thank you!

YES If you want to arrive or depart any time other than the day the ship sails or arrives, you must do a deviation. Otherwise you will arrive on the day of departure and leave for home on the day of arrival.

This is what you want anyway to have the opportunity to choose your airline and routing. There have been stories regarding long layovers and flight on not so good airlines. Remember, CC only represents about 5% of cruisers.

Am concerned over your TA not explaining this to you that included air only includes day of departure/arrival flights. Quickly choose your requested flights and get them to your TA TODAY.

Fabulous site. I thought I found great connections on SAS but my ta said 45minutes is cutting it close to change planes in Copenhagen, same airline. Newark/Copenhagen/Venice

Lyn

Fabulous site. I thought I found great connections on SAS but my ta said 45minutes is cutting it close to change planes in Copenhagen, same airline. Newark/Copenhagen/Venice

Don't know what you were planning to pay or what class you want to fly. Assuming economy, a quick check of ITA turned up DL nonstop JFK-VCE-FCO-JFK for $1,628 pp. For nonstop flights at the height of the season at this late date, I think that's a great price. Turkish Airlines has flights through Istanbul at decent times with reasonable connection times for $1,200 pp.

Why would you not take the Delta flights ..they are non stop ??

I have a feeling you do not understand the process with Oceania & maybe your TA does not either

If you can get the flights you want the only extra fee is the deviation if you fly in a day or more before the cruise (recommended) or stay a few days after the cruise

Sometimes there will be an upcharge

This is for economy air if your want bus class then it will cost more

that flight search site is fantastic! 123 I found great flights on SAS with a super short stop in Copenhagen coming and going. My ta is calling O right now. And a super price. :D Thank you!

One more thing

If you are looking at using Oceania air do not look at the pricing it will have no bearing on the choice

If you are going to book your own air then yes check the prices ;)

Oceania will take a small amount off the cruise price you see online/brochure

Weigh your options

Lyn

One more thing

If you are looking at using Oceania air do not look at the pricing it will have no bearing on the choice

If you are going to book your own air then yes check the prices ;)

Oceania will take a small amount off the cruise price you see online/brochure

Weigh your options

Lyn

The air credit for OP's cruise is $900 pp. If Oceania can arrange the Delta non-stops on the dates OP wants for just the deviation fee with no up charge, it would be a good deal, IMHO.