Cost of living on a cruise ship?

NOSaints1

LOL My husband does all the time.

The assisted living facility near us (that doesn't provide medical service, just cooking/cleaning) is almost 5K per month. By my husbands estimation, he could stay on a Carnival cruise ship for 5k per month (auto tips included). But shore excursions would make the cruise ship more expensive.

I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about this compared to a retirement home, I mean I'm still young enough. How would this actually be cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I figure you can get a week in an inside for roughly $800/person total....seems like a great option. I have met people who stayed up to 12 weeks at a time. I would love it!

To make this thread more board-specific, does anyone know if NCL has any official policy about long stays aboard one of their ships? Either encouraging it (e.g. offering a special price if you book a cabin for the entire season) or discouraging it (e.g. putting a limit on how long you can be a passenger continuously).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Remember the little old lady from a few years back that lived on a Princess ship (I think). The crew nicknamed her. She would go into the ports and do shopping for the crew etc. Said it was cheaper than assisted living/nursing home. My mother's nursing home charged more than $7,000 a month.

Cunard, P&O and Princess all have(had if they died) residents.

On the trip we did the lady that cruises princess had an area at one bar reserved.

if you were prepared to ship hop, you could get some great prices, but I am sure a cruise line would do a deal.

Saw a TV report on an elderly lady from the US, who was cruising one of the big 3 cruiselines with a nurse. (sorry I don't remember where she was from or which cruiseline it was off the top of my head)

But the report said that for her and the nurse to sail year round, was cheaper than for her to stay at her local nursing home for a year. (have to admit I never paid attention to how much a nursing home cost, until I saw that report and talked to a few friends with a parent in a nursing home)

The only thing I would worry about would be the medical care. (ship's doctor wise)

Ship's doctors are more the type who went to med school in Guatamala or the some Caribbean island...

To make this thread more board-specific, does anyone know if NCL has any official policy about long stays aboard one of their ships? Either encouraging it (e.g. offering a special price if you book a cabin for the entire season) or discouraging it (e.g. putting a limit on how long you can be a passenger continuously).

I would be interested in those answers too.

Example what would be the yearly rate for a solo cruiser with a cabin with a porthole? As the ship changed routes would you be able to continue?

Wonder what the yearly rate would be for the UBP:)

The only thing I would worry about would be the medical care. (ship's doctor wise)

Ship's doctors are more the type who went to med school in Guatamala or the some Caribbean island...

They will most likely be better qualified than the staff at the nursing home even those with medical staff.

carnival UK expectations

To be considered you do not need previous cruise ship experience but you will need:

• To be a fully qualified doctor with current registration with the United Kingdom GMC or appropriate Governmental regulatory body
  • A broad range of experience in acute care areas
  • Proven proficiency in a wide range of clinical skills, including care and assessment of acutely ill patients and management of minor injuries and medical conditions
  • An A&E background - although consideration may be given to those with relevant experience in Critical Care settings
  • The ability to work independently and as an effective member of a small team
  • Be ambitious, passionate and dedicated to delivering a quality service to our valued passengers and crew

Nurses expected to have similar background.

I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about this compared to a retirement home

This is something DH and I talk about all the time… he may think I'm joking, but if this worked out financially, I'm in! ;)

My best cruise for two @299 pp for 7days

+ 302 port fee and tax

+118 med evac ins.

+168 dsc

$1286 +tips

We also did the northbound 12 day repo @ $629pp

+221.12 port fees & tax

+172 med ins

+228 dsc

$1939.12 + tips

and

We did the southbound 14 repo @$519 pp

+227 port fees & tax

+178 Ins.

+336 dsc

$1779

SO about $5004.12 for 33 day's on ncl dawn last summer

Met a guy on the Jewel who did something like this. He ship hopped, but would do 10-12 weeks at a time. He has a high-rise (lock and leave) condo in FL for when he needed a home base, plus it got him the cheaper FL resident rates.

On the Allure of the Seas back in September, we met "Super Mario." He cruises approximately 48-50 weeks per year. Thought he was exclusively Royal Caribbean but he was wearing a Norwegian Sun inaugural T-shirt! Very nice man.

I saw an article on this that basically said this works really well if you don't have medical issues and just really need someone to help cook, clean, and take care of "house maintenance".

I would think the Jade would be the ship to chose for such a stay. Our of all the NCL ships is it not the one with the most varied routing?

Doing the same 7 day cruise every week is more common on the other ships.

Other than repositioning through the Panama canal to get up-to Vancouver and Seattle for the Alaska season or the odd Atlantic crossing this is not much variability with NCL.

I remember reading in the late 90s that a woman sold her house and lived on a cruise ship all the time. It may have been a Cunard ship. It cost her $40K per year, less than a retirement home.

My Mom was in assisted living, the cost was about $35K per year. That was a few years ago.

Frankly, I think it would be fun for a while, but could get bored with it. Also, to keep costs down, you would need to watch spending on excursions and booze.

I remember reading in the late 90s that a woman sold her house and lived on a cruise ship all the time. It may have been a Cunard ship. It cost her $40K per year, less than a retirement home.

My Mom was in assisted living, the cost was about $35K per year. That was a few years ago.

Frankly, I think it would be fun for a while, but could get bored with it. Also, to keep costs down, you would need to watch spending on excursions and booze.

My mom will be 90 this year. Does not drink and cares little about ports. Shhhh. Hope she does not read this. :). Or I see myself flaying about to see her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also did the northbound 12 day repo @ $629pp

+221.12 port fees & tax

+172 med ins

+228 dsc

$1939.12 + tips

and

We did the southbound 14 repo @$519 pp

+227 port fees & tax

+178 Ins.

+336 dsc

$1779

SO about $5004.12 for 33 day's on ncl dawn last summer

Did you get bored with the food though?

When we got back from a 2 week back to back, I found myself looking forward to home cooking.