Dry Cleaning Warning - ms Noordam (March 2014)

POA1

May 12, 2014 - Your mistake is assuming that cruise ships have a dry cleaning plant onboard.

They do not.

You should use your SEO to investigate the reasons why ALL the major cruise lines removed dry cleaning plants from their ships many years ago - and substituted a more eco-friendly wet cleaning system that unfortunately does not work well with all fabrics.

You tied to make that point earlier -- Way back on March 12th. Your post is here #49. Perhaps it's a semantics thing and I should have used a phrase other than "full time dry cleaning plant." I'm not sure what phrase I should have used. Maybe I should have said, "some people using a machine that performs the process that the cruise line calls dry cleaning," but that just doesn't have the same linguistic flow.

Back to your post, quoted above:

You're also using SEO incorrectly. I think you meant search or search engine.

So I searched...

Celebrity:

Q: Are there laundry facilities onboard?A: There is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates.
Source:

Princess:

Princess uses the term "Professional Cleaning Services" without mention of the process.

Holland America:

HAL refers to dry cleaning here:

They also use this text
every single time
they talk about the amenities for Neptune Suites.

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

Seabourn:

Talks about dry cleaning in their online PDF brochures. We couldn't find any warnings.

Cunard:

Will I be able to clean my clothes on board?

Yes. Full laundry and dry cleaning services are available on board, and will be billed to your stateroom. Complimentary self-service washers, dryers and ironing facilities are also available.

Royal Caribbean:

Q: Are laundry services provided?

A: Self-service laundry facilities are not provided onboard our ships, but we do offer full laundry and dry cleaning services.

Carnival:

Are there Laundry Services available on board?

Laundry Services In addition to self-service launderettes on each ship, there is a valet laundry service on board; dry cleaning is not available.

Oceania:

Q: Do you have valet and laundry facilities?

A: Dry cleaning and laundry services are offered onboard. Both regular and express services are available at an additional fee.

Crystal:

Laundry/Valet Services - Complete valet services are available including laundry, pressing and dry cleaning.

Costa:

Complete valet services including laundry, pressing and dry cleaning, can be arranged through your stateroom steward/stewardess and billed to your shipboard account.

Disney:

Take advantage of full-service laundry and dry cleaning, available with pickup from your stateroom.

HAL's New Machines:

I located a Holland America Press release that stated that they were beginning to replace the PERC dry cleaning machines with oil based wet cleaning machines. It was dated late 2013. While that is certainly many days ago, it's not years.

Some other random stuff:

I'm not sure why you think I should "investigate why ALL the major cruise lines removed dry cleaning plants from their ships many years ago." As a passenger, when my fare as a Neptune Suite passenger is supposed to include complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning and the laundry order sheets in my stateroom say "Dry Cleaning," that's what I expect. I think it's odd that you think it's somehow incumbent on the passenger to have to investigate whether or not it's dry cleaning that's being offered.

I couldn't find those warnings that you talked about most cruise lines making about their cleaning processes.

March 12, 2014 - I only know that no cruise ships - including HAL - offer real dry cleaning onboard.

March 12, 2014 - ALL the cruise lines removed their dry cleaning plants many years ago, and replaced them with a wet cleaning process that is far safer and environmentally friendly - but not as good for delicate fabrics.

Most cruise lines not only brag to passengers about the new process, but also warn that it is not a good idea to send delicate or expensive clothing for this cleaning.

For BruceMuzz:

Please be so kind as to provide us with links to support your assertion that all the major cruise lines replaced their dry (solvent-based) cleaning with wet (water-based) cleaning many years ago.

While you are at it, if you have links to any of the warnings that most cruise lines are giving regarding their dry cleaning, that would be helpful.

I hate to assume that you just make stuff up and then tell people to "Google it."

Thanks!

POA1!! You are hilarious!!!!! Another good read!! :D

Thanks. In all honesty, I am quite pleased with Holland America's response. It's very good customer service.

POA1,

Glad to find out you got that "Dry Cleaning" stuff all sorted out. ;) Also, HAL came through and gave you a refund that was much better than the $100.00 you mentioned in the previous post. :D

POA1, you have a nice flare/comebacks to your post. A really good read!! Always a pleasure. You are one of my FAVS!! I am going to put you right there with SAIL!! <<<< Sail is my First FAV!! :D

Stay Thirsty my Friend!! Cheers!!

They gave me the amount in the email. Neither of the items was very old, so it covers replacement. Depreciation never entered the conversation.

I'll let you know if the amount ends up being different from what is in the mail message, but I don't expect it to be.

Thanks. I hadn't realized they told you the exact amount in the email.

Thankfully, never had a laundry issue with HAL or any other ships. And since many of my items are bespoke, I'd love to see the look on their faces when I told them how much that shirt cost.

let's not exaggerate - it depends upon if you buy the shirt on sale or not:D:p

Prices on sale are not unreasonable nor much different than you would pay at any good clothing store.

In any case a good item ruined, is not an easy piece of pill to swallow especially if it can't be replaced easily.;)

We have been fine with our laundry and dryclenaing, but I am really glad that the OP gave an alert. I think it would be helpful to many cc members.

I believe that they are processing a refund against previous charges. That can typically be done 60 to 90 days after a transaction. When we process refunds for our business, we don't have to retain the card information. We can post a refund against the old transaction data. You've probably experienced something similar if you have returned something you bought on a credit card.

Unless you are issuing credit that exceeds the charge amounts, you don't typically need the card again.

Thank you for your reply.

Just wanted to come full circle and close out this thread. The credit from Holland America hit our Amex statement. I've replaced my tux vest and will get the replacement sport coat this summer when we head back to Maine.

Overall, I am very pleased with HAL's response. It would be nice if it didn't happen in the first place, but the cruise line stepped up and made me whole.

Just wanted to come full circle and close out this thread. The credit from Holland America hit our Amex statement. I've replaced my tux vest and will get the replacement sport coat this summer when we head back to Maine.

Overall, I am very pleased with HAL's response. It would be nice if it didn't happen in the first place, but the cruise line stepped up and made me whole.

Thank you for letting us know the final result. I am glad that HAL gave you full replacement costs. I hope you are able to again get the sport coat in the material and style you want.