Another VISA Rewards question

So I thought I had this figured out. We cashed in 15,000 points a few months back to upgrade from an interior to an outside (even though we were in Jr Suite). Since there was at least $150 difference in the price of interior and outside, we each received a $150 credit (so doubled the value to $300). It worked great.

We booked a Bermuda cruise yesterday and this morning I noticed that the interior and outside was at least $150 per person difference. I called the redemption line this morning and was told since we booked on a week-end sale and have a savings certificate applied that we were not eligible for the upgrade. What??? Where did that come from?

I don't have time to deal with being on the phone this AM, but I think I'll call back in a few days. Maybe I called to close to when I booked?

Sounds like they are trying to eliminate all possibilities for maximizing points.

So I thought I had this figured out. We cashed in 15,000 points a few months back to upgrade from an interior to an outside (even though we were in Jr Suite). Since there was at least $150 difference in the price of interior and outside, we each received a $150 credit (so doubled the value to $300). It worked great.

We booked a Bermuda cruise yesterday and this morning I noticed that the interior and outside was at least $150 per person difference. I called the redemption line this morning and was told since we booked on a week-end sale and have a savings certificate applied that we were not eligible for the upgrade. What??? Where did that come from?

I don't have time to deal with being on the phone this AM, but I think I'll call back in a few days. Maybe I called to close to when I booked?

Sounds like they are trying to eliminate all possibilities for maximizing points.

You're correct in that they are working very hard to limit the use or minimize the value of many perks.

I wonder if you could remove the savings certificate and then be allowed to redeem the points?

I have also been having troubles with the process. I redeemed points for a free 4 night cruise for 2 and am in a balcony. The value of the award went up by $30 per person and I was also declined.

They told me if they did not they would have to take off my balcony discount as it is no longer allowed with some awards.

It is just getting to be too much trouble with the redemption process since the rules changed last year.

You can always try to call back again and try another rep.

PS Also my cruise mentioned above which was paid in full this am had a balcony of $67.50 on it:eek:. 20 minutes on the phone and they sent it to another deparmtnet to be fixed.

They have been working very hard recently at not allowing anything to be combined with a "free" cruise or upgrade with the VISA points. I have found that I can use the cruise discounts with other discounts but not the "free" upgrades or cruises.

They have been working very hard recently at not allowing anything to be combined with a "free" cruise or upgrade with the VISA points. I have found that I can use the cruise discounts with other discounts but not the "free" upgrades or cruises.

I think that is what I am going to do with the rest of our points. We already get enough OBC from booking onboard bonuses.

Upgrades are capacity controlled and may not be combined with Royal Caribbean International Companion Fare rewards, Cruise rewards or other promotional coupons. Upgrades may not be combined with restricted price programs. Upgrades are valid from an interior to minimum available oceanview, boardwalk view or central park view stateroom or an oceanview, boardwalk view or central park view to minimum available balcony, excluding suites. The guest can upgrade from, but cannot upgrade to any stateroom to which a "Guarantee rate" applies. Stateroom categories vary from ship to ship. The guest cannot upgrade to or from family staterooms, or upgrade from staterooms to which selected special pricing programs apply. Please call Royal Caribbean International for details regarding combinability with your reservation.

I'm sure the price you got on the Bermuda cruise fits into one of those categories, if one of their agents tries hard enough.

I'm sure the price you got on the Bermuda cruise fits into one of those categories, if one of their agents tries hard enough.

You are so right. I plan to call back in a few days to follow up and hopefully talk to someone else who doesn't try quite so hard to limit the value of the points redeemed. Or, maybe I would have better luck online---I haven't tried that, but it is after final payment?

Bob mentioned taking the savings certificate off, but the value is $150 so that wouldn't be cost effective.

It certainly makes the credit card less attractive.