Poll-How Much Would You Give The Triumph Passengers?

JustCruiseMe

How Much Would YOU Award The Triumph's Passengers?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Would YOU Award The Triumph's Passengers?

• Nothing they've had enough!
    • 500.00 One Time Payment
    • 1000.00 One Time Payment
    • 5000.00 One Time Payment
    • 1000.00 One Time Payment
    • 5000.00 A Month For Life (What they are asking for)

I could see $5000 being fair - it covers their potential airfare, the "cost" of the additional vacation time they likely had to burn - and as someone who doesn't get paid vacation, that time would have cost me dearly. Also, that amount is kind of a "feel good" number - it should allow replacement of clothing or other things that might have been ruined by the overflowing toliets, etc. While I probably wouldn't sue if something like this happened to me, I can understand the frustration and fear that (especially new) cruisers might have felt.

Thankfully nobody had severe medical issues as a result of this situation (that we're aware of) - and so any more than that would be ridiculous - I'd realistically say $2500 is even more fair than $5000 - but from the choices presented, $1000 wouldn't cover my airfare and lost time from work, so I went to the next higher number.

I can seeing giving charges or work they can prove was in direct relation to the incident. If you have legitimate medical bills directly related to it, missed work that wasn't covered by the extra $500 they were given, phone charges incurred when they used them on the cruise....those sorts of things to me are a no brainer, but getting $$ just because you were on the cruise in addition to all they did I think is unnecessary

I would've had something stating that as soon as they accepted any part if the original offer, then they get nothing else. So if you take the $500, but didn't want the cruise, then you are S.O.L.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First I don't believe that carnival intentionally caused this incident. Therefore since the passengers have been refunded their entire cruise plus a free cruise plus money, I do not believe that anything else is owed. I know it was a pain but really it wasn't that bad. Heck I have been on camping trips a lot worse and I live in the South - we know hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise refund covers the cruise, the $500 covers legitimate expenses incurred... phone, missed time from work etc.

The future cruise is the only thing I would consider extra. This of course probably wont be used by many of the passengers.

So, I'm thinking the cruise refund, $500, an additional $1000, and slap on a future cruise cert :)

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Forums mobile app

Nothing.

I watched the interviews with the people that got off the ship, I didn't see very much that would lead me to believe that I wouldn't have wanted to be on that cruise. There was even one interview with a man that said he was in a cabin towards the front and he was hardly affected by what happened.

Obviously some of these people have never gone camping before.

Althoiugh the headline says one thing, the article clearly says $5000 a year.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/11/passengers-suing-carnival-over-crippled-cruise-seek-5000-month-for-life/?intcmp=latestnews

$

any of the 33 passengers involved in the trial complain of lingering emotional issues such as PTSD, anxiety and depression; some have physical ailments they blame on squalid conditions, including leg pain, diarrhea, upper respiratory problems and even aggravated hemorrhoids.

Most of the passengers are seeking $5,000 in damages a year from Carnival for the rest of their lives, claiming they will need continuous medical monitoring because of what happened aboard ship.

The article seems clear to me. SOME are asking for the lower (:D) amount of $5000 a year, but a group of them are asking for $5000 a month for the rest of their lives. Everybody is right.:)

Kathy

I don't think they should get anything more if they did already receive the $500 per person compensation, a full refund, transportation home, reimbursement for whatever arrangements they already had that wasn't refundable, half off the next cruise. I mean really. I remember watching and feeling bad for them, but I just don't see why they deserve to receive free money for having to crap in a bag for a few days!

As a member of the passengers of the 3 day beautiful cruise followed by a 5 day camping trip at sea.....I wanted to chime in here.

I know one of the men (and his wife) who are part of the lawsuit and I have strong belief I know another of the suers as she used to be my friend,

I will agree to the 5k a month for the rest of their lives when we start doing the same for our service men and women who are coming back with much more important and horrific issues.

These people were vacationers and not travelers. Embrace what experiences you are exposed too and make a choice.

Cruised 16 days after I returned from the Triumph trip.

I cruised again in November (Carnival Sunshine inaugural) and finished the year with a trip on the Triumph. I had a couple of moments where I would come apron an area on the ship that brought back strong and sometimes surprising memories.

I booked my New Years cruise for 2014/2015 on the Magic and am looking forward to seeing the Dream in 31 short days !

My dear sweet friend broke her ankle on the Triumph and had to have extensive surgery, missed several months of work, and guess what!?! She was only second to myself I. Booking our 'do-over' cruise on the Sunshine !!!

We decide what keeps us down.

mel

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

It was uncomfortable but they don't need all of this. One lady used her free cruise for the Conquest 1 month after the fire.

That was me. :-) it was 16 days later - and it was not my free cruise - the Conquest had already been booked. I just wanted them to get me back in time for it LOL

Triumph was a girlfriends getaway.

Conquest was with my family - my son turned 20

I used my free cruise in November on the new Carnival Sunshine inaugural cruise - which was our girlfriend 'do-over' cruise. Which more people joined us and we were a nice size group that had a fantastic time :-)

It was uncomfortable but they don't need all of this. One lady used her free cruise for the Conquest 1 month after the fire.

That was me. :-) it was 16 days later - and it was not my free cruise - the Conquest had already been booked. I just wanted them to get me back in time for it LOL

Triumph was a girlfriends getaway.

Conquest was with my family - my son turned 20

I used my free cruise in November on the new Carnival Sunshine inaugural cruise - which was our girlfriend 'do-over' cruise. Which more people joined us and we were a nice size group that had a fantastic time :-)

Mel

It is obvious that Carnival did not have enough or the correct type of backup systems in place.

There should be a price to pay.

Take the national yearly income average. Divide that by the 2080 hours in the typical 40 hour a week work year. Pay all passengers that hourly rate for the amount of hours they spent on the ship without power. They were held as prisoners. Had no way of getting out of the situation that Carnival put them in.

They did not sign up for a camping trip. They spent money for a vacation. They spent their earned vacation time for a vacation, not a survival excursion.

Edited by Tutankhamen

As a member of the passengers of the 3 day beautiful cruise followed by a 5 day camping trip at sea.....I wanted to chime in here.

I know one of the men (and his wife) who are part of the lawsuit and I have strong belief I know another of the suers as she used to be my friend,

I will agree to the 5k a month for the rest of their lives when we start doing the same for our service men and women who are coming back with much more important and horrific issues.

These people were vacationers and not travelers. Embrace what experiences you are exposed too and make a choice.

Cruised 16 days after I returned from the Triumph trip.

I cruised again in November (Carnival Sunshine inaugural) and finished the year with a trip on the Triumph. I had a couple of moments where I would come apron an area on the ship that brought back strong and sometimes surprising memories.

I booked my New Years cruise for 2014/2015 on the Magic and am looking forward to seeing the Dream in 31 short days !

My dear sweet friend broke her ankle on the Triumph and had to have extensive surgery, missed several months of work, and guess what!?! She was only second to myself I. Booking our 'do-over' cruise on the Sunshine !!!

We decide what keeps us down.

mel

Well Said and agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be helpful if you put in the poll what they already received. I thought it was a refund and a free cruise. I did not realize there was an extra $500. That would have changed my answer. Guess it doesn't really matter, but...:confused:

One or 2 days added on doesn't create much of an impact, but 4 days makes a significant impact. If my husband, daughter, and I had been on this trip, the extra days at sea would have additional costs (1) time away from work for 2 people - we would burn vacation time thus preventing a future trip ($2500), (2) the cost of kenneling our dogs ($200), (3) paying the housesitter ($100), (4) paying for child care (we pay for scheduled time even if we don't use it) ($100), and (5) extra parking fees at my home airport ($40). These extra costs total $2,940 so the $1,500 paid to the three of us would not come close to covering these expenses. The extra cruise is nice but having lost 4 vacation days to an extended trip would make vacation planning over the next year difficult. $5,000/month for life is ridiculous, but I do think a one time payment of $5,000 would be reasonable.

$5,000 a month for life is so incredibly ridiculous I cant even understand it.

I voted everything they have been given plus $1,000 per passenger. I think its a fair settlement. Combine that with everything else they have paid, it might be just enough to put a tiny tiny dent in Carnival's budget, that they might rethink sending a ship out that needs repairs.

One or 2 days added on doesn't create much of an impact, but 4 days makes a significant impact. If my husband, daughter, and I had been on this trip, the extra days at sea would have additional costs (1) time away from work for 2 people - we would burn vacation time thus preventing a future trip ($2500), (2) the cost of kenneling our dogs ($200), (3) paying the housesitter ($100), (4) paying for child care (we pay for scheduled time even if we don't use it) ($100), and (5) extra parking fees at my home airport ($40). These extra costs total $2,940 so the $1,500 paid to the three of us would not come close to covering these expenses. The extra cruise is nice but having lost 4 vacation days to an extended trip would make vacation planning over the next year difficult. $5,000/month for life is ridiculous, but I do think a one time payment of $5,000 would be reasonable.

You would have been closer to making even on this. With refunds for the cruise/travel and the $1500, you would have been out very little actual dollars. The big thing is vacation time which is difficult to put a price on because it really depends on the individuals situation.

I am unsure the price I would put on this. CCL had previously stated they would work with anyone who suffered a physical injury and compensate them separately... Something between $500-$2000 per person seems reasonable to me.

I think Carnival owes them some thing but certainly not $5,000 a month for the remainder of their lives. I guess they are trying for the moon and hoping they get some thing in between. My problem with Carnival is that they had no recovery plans. The alternate power plant was never intended to provide power for the entire ship. So then the question should have been asked: "So how do we take care of 5,000 people for 3 or 4 days or more?" There answer seems to have been" Do nothing."

On every cruise I have been on, we passed many ships night and day. Surely, one of those ships could have provided emergency help, like meals. Maybe I am making this too simple but I do believe there should have been some contingency plan.

So how about $5,000 but for only one month. I think all their pain and suffering should be gone by then.

That happened!