Not my idea of Smart Casual

The Odd Couple

I've been reading this thread with interest. We have only been on one cruise, with NCL, so there was no dress code as such. I am considering booking a cruise with P&O next year on the Britannia. I presume the dress code is for the evening only and that you can go into the buffet during the day in shorts

All this posting about Dress Codes makes P&O passengers sound as if they are obsessed with it. IMO its really not a problem. People are only asked to dress smartly but casually in the evenings and formally 2 nights a week. If you choose not to dress formally then you have to use the buffet. For the vast majority there is not a problem whatsoever.

All this posting about Dress Codes makes P&O passengers sound as if they are obsessed with it. IMO its really not a problem. People are only asked to dress smartly but casually in the evenings and formally 2 nights a week. If you choose not to dress formally then you have to use the buffet. For the vast majority there is not a problem whatsoever.

Sadly, some of them are. I have never seen so many people fretting over what other people are or are nor wearing as there are on any P&O cruise forum. They are in a minority but they give the impression to other visitors and potential customers that P&O passengers are a load of stuffed shirts. They are not, most of them anyway. Most people abide by the dress code in the areas in which it is obligatory, and some choose to dress more casually in those areas in which it is not. Some even follow the US practice of dressing up for dinner then dressing down afterwards. All that is needed is a little tolerance and common sense.

Sadly, some of them are. I have never seen so many people fretting over what other people are or are nor wearing as there are on any P&O cruise forum. They are in a minority but they give the impression to other visitors and potential customers that P&O passengers are a load of stuffed shirts. They are not, most of them anyway. Most people abide by the dress code in the areas in which it is obligatory, and some choose to dress more casually in those areas in which it is not. Some even follow the US practice of dressing up for dinner then dressing down afterwards. All that is needed is a little tolerance and common sense.

Wish there was a 'Like' button for this :D

I cannot honestly say I see people who are that bothered by what others are wearing mainly because most people do dress well in my opinion. I have seen people in DJ's taking off jackets and indeed bowties in the MDR and nobody looks bothered. I only notice because I'm nosey. There can't be many people who pack old scruffy clothes and go on a cruise. If there is then my eyesight must be failing.

David

I cannot honestly say I see people who are that bothered by what others are wearing mainly because most people do dress well in my opinion. I have seen people in DJ's taking off jackets and indeed bowties in the MDR and nobody looks bothered. I only notice because I'm nosey. There can't be many people who pack old scruffy clothes and go on a cruise. If there is then my eyesight must be failing.

David

Your eyesight is failing. :)

I'm not the most elegant dress wise but I do try not to embarrass myself and my wife, or make others feel uncomfortable. On one cruise on Oceana there were several people dressed on formal night in old clothes that I wouldn't wear in the garden. I felt a little sorry for one couple as I thought that perhaps they had fallen on hard times but the way that they were downing the drink and smoking made me wonder if they simply had other priorities.

Edited by AchileLauro

Your eyesight is failing. :)

I'm not the most elegant dress wise but I do try not to embarrass myself and my wife, or make others feel uncomfortable. On one cruise on Oceana there were several people dressed on formal night in old clothes that I wouldn't wear in the garden. I felt a little sorry for one couple as I thought that perhaps they had fallen on hard times but the way that they were downing the drink and smoking made me wonder if they simply had other priorities.

Was this the Oceana Easter cruise because we noticed on that cruise a family that either wore the same clothes for 7 days or had brought along lots of the same clothes. They were even wearing the same clothes on the formal night when we saw them. I heard one chap, standing near to us at the captain's night, say that his gardening clothes were in better condition than the ones that the father was wearing. Their clothes didn't bother me in the least but I was annoyed when they allowed their daughter to throw food on the floor in the dining room when they were seated 2 tables away from us one evening.