Seasickness medication

Often US cruisers recommend Bonine for seasickness, but Australian pharmacies do not sell it. What effective products have Aussies used? I would prefer a Non-drowsy product. Also I have read that it's best to start taking anti-nausea medication the day before sailing, as it's not effective if you are already feeling sick. So how do you know when to stop taking the tablets? We have 3 nights across Bass Strait to NZ, consecutive days at Bay of Islands and Auckland, then 4 sea days to French Polynesia, 3 days of shore excursions, then 5 sea days to Honolulu. I am hoping that after the first 3 days I will no longer need to take anything, but want to be prepared for Bass Strait, as our last ocean cruise was in 1980. Many thanks for all advice given, Susan

Susan

Bonine is a very effective medication for seasickness. I notice that you are cruising with Celebrity so I would imagine that they will have them onboard. What you have read about taking seasickness meds the night before the cruise is true, we take Bonine the night before and every night of the cruise, which has been very effective. Bonine is a preventer medication.

The first time my son cruised he felt sick as soon as we got into the ocean out of Sydney, he'd taken 1 tablet the night before and 1 before sailaway he still felt sick so I gave him another one and one every night. All was good.

You can buy Bonine on amazon or if you know anyone who is travelling to the US, ask them to grab you some in somewhere like Walmart - its the cheapest place I have bought them from. I think I got a box of 16 or 18 for around $4.00.

On board Royal Caribbean ships you can get a box of 8 for I think $8 or go to the medical centre or guest services and they also have them for free. I have read on here that people have got them from the medical centre every day. Given that celebrity is part of the Royal Caribbean International group I would expect that Celebrity should have them.

You can't buy Bonine on Amazon - sadly, they won't deliver to Australia. The best you can do is initially take Avomine and then buy Bonine once on board. Not sure if I can say this on here but I have several boxes of Bonine - see my email. I don't want any money for them.

Cheers

Di

Hi. I am Canadian and always use Bonine when cruising. Like you in Australia, we can't buy the Bonine in Canada. We always buy it when we are in the US -easy for us as we live about 1 hour from the US border. I have seen Bonine for sale in the shops on both Princess and HAL ships. More expensive than in the US but it would be worth every penny if you need it.

Like other posters have said, we start taking it the night before the cruise and continue until the end of the cruise. Works wonders for us - I can get "seasick" on a garden swing!

Edited by Daisyloo

I have tried several seasickness remedies and recommend Avomine, the product that is recommended by P&O and by Princess. It can be bought over the counter at Chemist Warehouse - $9.60 for 30 tablets. This is one medication that will work even if you are already feeling seasick. They don't make me sleepy, but just in case they have that effect on you, I suggest starting off by taking one tablet at bedtime. You will find your sea legs in a couple of days, then need only take one if the sea gets really rough.

I buy the patches over the counter in NZ...they are very effective. My friends swear by them. Generally if you follow he standard method for during less strong meds you will be fine. Avo mine one each night on retiring two days before boarding then one more one the first day after that you should be able to discontinue and get on with enjoying your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Susan

If you are going to Honolulu, there is a Walmart near the Ala Moana Shopping Centre. They sell Bonine cheaper than most other drug stores, ie. $5 for 16 tablets. Other drug/pharmacy stores sell them but in my experience they were more expensive but I guess it depends on whether you can get to Walmart or not.

Everyone has been so helpful with their advice. Yes, I will certainly shop for Bonine at Walmart near Ala Moana Centre, as I like special prices. My youngest sister is doing the reverse of our April transpacific cruise next October (i.e. Hawaii to Sydney), and she will appreciate this information as well. No seasickness for Susan :)

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but hopefully this will be useful.

My wife has seasickness and has tried many "seasickness" medicines and the side effects take away from any relief she may get from them, if any.

Long story short, the last couple of cruises she's has some success with Stemitel. It's an anti nausia drug. The trick is to keep up the dosage, keep it regular and on schedule when at sea so that there are no drops.

I guess a patch would be good but we haven't explored that option yet.

Before our first cruise 30-odd years ago my doctor prescribed Stemetil. When the seas were very rough I took a tablet. I wished I hadn't. I felt very ill and desperately wanted to throw up but the medication stopped me from doing so. Never again!! With Avomine I haven't even felt queasy when we have had 12metre seas.

Before our first cruise 30-odd years ago my doctor prescribed Stemetil. When the seas were very rough I took a tablet. I wished I hadn't. I felt very ill and desperately wanted to throw up but the medication stopped me from doing so. Never again!! With Avomine I haven't even felt queasy when we have had 12metre seas.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you experience any side effects with the Avomine?

Bonine is the brand name for a drug called Meclizine and comes in 25mg chewable tablets. Here is a link to a seller in Australia - Fishpond, note that they are shipped from the USA priced at $22.45 including shipping for 100 tablets.

You can also get this brand "Rugby" on ebay for around the same price, the price for the 100 tablet bottle is $6.47 approx AUD plus postage $12.50 AUD.

Just google search "Rugby Meclizine 25mg" and it should come up on the Fishpond dot com dot au site.

As I mentioned you can get them in the USA - box of 16 tablets (I have some in my medicine kit because I stocked up when I was in the US), so the Rugby brand for 100 tablets isn't that expensive. Given that you are going on the 18 night repositioning cruise you will need 19 tablets each so you will use them up and if you love cruising like everyone else on here then you will use them in the future.

Here are the links to the searches I have done … hope that work if not just search as per my suggestion above:

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Health/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100-ea/0305363990013?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=AU&gclid=CNHDqK7Hlr0CFc1YpQodDjIAOg

Thanks so much Miamia, you have gone out of your way to ensure we have an enjoyable cruise. I will not even mind gaining a few extra kg, as that will show I have had a healthy appetite, and not avoided food through suffering nausea. Your information is easily understood, helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all who took time to reply, your advice and personal experiences clarified the alternatives available, Susan

If you are stopping off in New Zealand (or know someone who lives there) get some Sealegs brand (meclazine) tabs over the counter. Very effective and I'm not sure why this medication isn't available in Oz.

On a round Australia cruise our captain was accompanied by his lovely wife who was terribly afflicted by mal de mer even thought it wasn't rough seas. She had been more or less confined to his quarters for the first week and tried all and every remedy suggested to no avail. A Kiwi couple offered her their Sealegs to try and she instantly felt better and continued to be so for the rest of the trip.

Not sure if you have them in Australia drug stores, but they also have motion sickness bands to wear on your wrists. My daughter and sister-in-laws use them. If they are not available in drug stores, you can get them on Amazon. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=relief+band+motion+sickness&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1099793381&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=786681491201122138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_13bbt5sq41_b

Or you can google sea sickness bands or motion sickness bands. I have also used them when in very rough seas, and they have helped. Another natural remedy is to get pure ginger tablets (at any health food store, or vitamin store). Start taking them 2 days before you cruise and continue throughout your cruise. The ginger helps to settle your stomach.

We cruised over to Bermuda from New Jersey 1.5 years ago, and we left the port on Royal Caribbean Explorer (same size as Voyager). We sailed directly into Hurricane Sandy outer bands. We had 45+ ft waves, and winds were constant at 100 MPH, and gusts up to 180 MPH. This started after dinner once we left the port, and continued all night. In the morning we were almost thrown out of bed (we had an aft balcony cabin :eek:). It continued all day, and was so bad, they had to close down the Windjammer at the end of breakfast. Lunch was served only in the MDR, (hamburg, hot dog, soup or beef & mashed potatos) and in the Royal Promenade (sandwiches and bottled water). By dinner, things had calmed down. I have been seasick before. I started taking the ginger tablets 2 days before we got on the ship. Then, I wore the wristbands, and I took Bonine every 8 hours (when I bought it at Target, I asked the Pharmacist how often it could be taken). I never got sick, and neither did my sis-in-law, or our 2 hubbys. Hopefully, this will help some of you too.

We will be sailing the Solstice next January through the Tasmanian seas, and I will be sure to bring all my meds with me just to be on the safe side. Being seasick is no fun while on a cruise!!

I get car sick and sea sick very easily but with Bonine I have no problems even in rough seas. I do start it the night before we board though. I first read about it being taken by divers and have heard nothing but good so I tried it and it works for me. Be aware though that it can raise eye pressure so you cant take it if you have glaucoma. I buy mine when I am in the US but I have noticed you can also get it from Ebay.

I am going on a 28 day day cruise soon and plan on taking it for awhile then seeing if I get my sea legs or not. If not I am then going to try some homeopathic formula called Hylands Motion Sickness but know I have the backup of Bonine if needed. I am doing this because it is such a long cruise and I have had eye problems. You can buy Hylands on iHerb. I will post back after the cruise and tell you how it worked for me.

I do take Ginger when I fly and that is enough to settle my stomach but not strong enough for cruising. Stemitil stops me actually throwing up but I am still nauceous so not effective. I have never tried the wrist bands but don't think I would risk it; its not worth feeling miserable on a trip of a lifetime.

Edited by fivefoot4

Thanks so much Miamia, you have gone out of your way to ensure we have an enjoyable cruise. I will not even mind gaining a few extra kg, as that will show I have had a healthy appetite, and not avoided food through suffering nausea. Your information is easily understood, helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all who took time to reply, your advice and personal experiences clarified the alternatives available, Susan

Hi Susan

Glad to hear that you appreciate the advice.

Aleisha

If you are stopping off in New Zealand (or know someone who lives there) get some Sealegs brand (meclazine) tabs over the counter. Very effective and I'm not sure why this medication isn't available in Oz.

On a round Australia cruise our captain was accompanied by his lovely wife who was terribly afflicted by mal de mer even thought it wasn't rough seas. She had been more or less confined to his quarters for the first week and tried all and every remedy suggested to no avail. A Kiwi couple offered her their Sealegs to try and she instantly felt better and continued to be so for the rest of the trip.

Sea Legs is the NZ brand name for the same drug as Bonine. You can get it over the counter at any NZ pharmacy.

Lots of great replies Susan. Each to his/her own. I agree that Avomine is the best seasickness tablet you can buy in Australia but it really is renown for making you drowsy - you know the kind that says, I have to go to sleep NOW but I guess that's better than "I need to ... NOW! (lol)! Taking it at night may help but I prefer the Bonine - of course you have to get your hands on it. I have Sea Legs and I don't agree that it is the same as Bonine but do agree that it is good.

Anyway, your Bonine is on its way to you:D and Bon Voyage - hope you have a great cruise.

Cheers

Di

Lots of great replies Susan. Each to his/her own. I agree that Avomine is the best seasickness tablet you can buy in Australia but it really is renown for making you drowsy - you know the kind that says, I have to go to sleep NOW but I guess that's better than "I need to ... NOW! (lol)! Taking it at night may help but I prefer the Bonine - of course you have to get your hands on it. I have Sea Legs and I don't agree that it is the same as Bonine but do agree that it is good.

Anyway, your Bonine is on its way to you:D and Bon Voyage - hope you have a great cruise.

Cheers

Di

I bought some Bonine when we were in Hawaii, but so far I haven't tried it. Better the devil .... etc. I don't experienced side effects from Avomine -or haven't so far, but I take the Bonine with me anyway. :) After your comment on side-effects I will feel more confident to try the Bonine. Thanks.

Edited by Aus Traveller