Advice please.

swabs

I've stayed at both the Hotel Colon and the Colon Regencia (one is behind the other). They are both very well located and I would really recommend either (depending on your budget).

We also enjoyed the Colon Regencia; they are under the same ownership and share staff and linens, yet the Regencia is lower in cost.

If you like small, funky and mostly pink rooms, you might like the Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas as much as we did. They have small balconies overlooking the famous street scene with a small table and chairs, and special light-and-sound reducing electric window covers. They also feature a 24/7 free buffet with breakfast items, pastas and cold cuts -- which also includes complimentary red and white wine, beer on tap, sodas and ice cream. We filled our plates and took them back to consume on our balcony -- all for a bargain price in Barcelona. There are two Hotel Continetals (sister hotels), one on Las Ramblas and one n the other side of Placa Catalunya; I don't have any experience with the other one.

Edited by hondorner

We also liked the two Continental hotels as well and the location was great, especially for the cheaper one.

But when I was booking our hotel for this past November I discovered their rates had gone up and several people recommended the Europark which is where we ended up. The location isn't as convenient, although cabs park right in front of the hotel. But the service was great and the rooms were the nicest we've had in Barcelona for a very reasonable price.

(While we tend to book higher up cabins on cruises, we usually do three stars of the like when we're in hotels -- mostly because on average we're in a cabin longer than we are in a hotel.) The Europark is a four star and we'd be happy to go back. It's also walking distance to Sagrada Familia which we found a plus. And there was a lovely little tapas place around the corner.

Mura

I will chime in here on the Barcelona hotels as well...

The past three visits, we stayed at the Hilton (a little bit remote as far as location), the Gran Havana (very nice but several blocks walk to the Placa Catalunya--a very quiet neighborhood)...and then, last stay, we finally broke down and "settled" for the Hotel Continental (a dip in "star" rating for us, so a little apprehensive)...and I was pleasantly surprised...

First of all, the #1 reason to go with the Continental was LOCATION...There is simply not a better location in Barcelona--right off the Placa Catalunya at the "head"" of Las Ramblas.

The Placa Catalunya is the heart of Barcelona. It is a major plaza that serves as the hub of all transportation--buses, HOHO bus, subways, etc.-- and the center of nightlife...Restaurant choices abound around the Placa and up and down Las Ramblas. Las Ramblas is the main pedestrian thoroughfare of Barcelona and an absolute delight to stroll. On the Eastern side of the Placa Catalunya is the incredibly large El Corte Ingles department store--with a large supermarket in the basement for all of your snacks/drinks needs at excellent (non-tourist) prices.

Second reason to go with the Continental is the price--an absolute bargain by Barcelona standards...

Third is the 24-hour free buffet which includes beer, soft drinks and some (fairly cheap) wine...I wouldn't eat my meals from this--except breakfast--but it's great for just grabbing a snack here and there or for geeting a couple of glasses of beer and heading out to your balcony...

Fourth is those balconies--most rooms have a balcony looking out over Las Ramblas. Every evening when we got home, that's where we'd head--to have a drink and watch the people strolling by underneath...They do have great automatic shutter systems that close off all of the eight and noise from the balcony leaving the room very peaceful if you want...

The hotel itself is sort of "funky"...It shares a building with other businesses including lesser "hotels". You take an elevator up to the lobby...and you have to go through security to get in and out at any of the floors of the hotels (always on closed circuit surveillance). Rooms are small (typical of European hotels) and the furniture tends to be pink and plastic...

But the location is great...You roll right out of the hotel and into the center of everything...Within steps of the hotel, you will find everything from restaurants serving Paella to ones with great pizza/pasta to Burger King and Hard Rock Cafe...

Aside from Las Ramblas, you are in close proximity to the Barri Gotic (Old Barcelona) and its narrow streets and historic buildings...to the great Gaudi works Casa Mila and Casa Batllo...and other great sights of Barcelona...

Edited by Bruin Steve

I've stayed at both the Hotel Colon and the Colon Regencia (one is behind the other). They are both very well located and I would really recommend either (depending on your budget).

We're booked at the Colon Regencia, can you tell me how to get there from the port? Thanks...

I will chime in on the Barcelona hotels...

Steve, it was an earlier post of yours abouth the Continental that convinced us to try it, and we loved it. I don't think it's for everyone, but if you don't need 5 stars and are a little adventuresome, it's a neat place.

We travel with just carry-ons, so we walked from the ship shuttle at the World Trade Center to the hotel. When we were ready to leave, we walked around the corner to the Placa and caught the airport express bus, really fast and cheap.

Another vote for the Hotel Colon. This next time in the Colon, 2014 November Riviera TA, will be our fifth visit. Great balconies overlooking the Catedral. Very good breakfast. That great market, La Boqueria, is only a few blocks away. There are many restaurants and interesting shopping in the immediate area.

Of course, caution is a must in Barcelona, especially on Las Ramblas, and streets in the area. Street crime is common.

Edited by warburg