New Scenic 2015 brochure and rates lower

alexandra cruiser

than same cruise on AMA for same time(Tulips,etc).

Have not taken my first Scenic YET,in June,but DO LOVE AMA.Still S inc. a LOT more,it seems.Tips,drinks(all day),room service,tubs(some suites),all shore exc.and airport transfer at NO EXTRA CHARGE.

So wonder, what am I missing?Why more perks for less money for similar cruise?

Ships look similar for full balcony.S.even has top to cover theirs.

Ideas?:confused:

Scenic is an Australian company, so they are all-inclusive because that's the expectation there. It is helpful because the quoted fare tells you what the trip is going to cost.

I will mention that last year during the terrible flooding there were some threads here that showed Scenic in a very poor light compared to most other cruise lines.

But except for those cruises that were affected by the flooding, my recollection is that every poster has loved their scenic cruise.

Do remember the negative post,s but seems MOST people were upset by the cruise lines treatment and forced bus tour.

Even with travel insurance,most claims were not approved due to technicalities.

Was just afraid "if it looks TOO GOOOD??"

Guess I ll know in a few mos.right?

Have also read great Scenic reviews,brochure looks GREAT,And my TA(an Aussie)has taken 2 and LOVED them.Like knowing ahead of time what total trip will cost.Love having all tips,exc.etc.inc.for many countries,such as ones I ll be on Budapest to Bucharest.Others not as important where I can get by on own.So I guess it varies with ea.itinerary.;)

• 2 weeks later...
that I d like to take.Before Viking was only line doing Bordeaux(in France),now I see both Uniworld and Scenic offering them NEW for 2015.

Good to have options and so happy to see new itinerary .:)

I know that they don't have the balconies that you prefer but Tauck also have cruises to Bordeaux. They started those for the 2014 season.

Do remember the negative post,s but seems MOST people were upset by the cruise lines treatment and forced bus tour.

Even with travel insurance,most claims were not approved due to technicalities.

Was just afraid "if it looks TOO GOOOD??"

Guess I ll know in a few mos.right?

Have also read great Scenic reviews,brochure looks GREAT,And my TA(an Aussie)has taken 2 and LOVED them.Like knowing ahead of time what total trip will cost.Love having all tips,exc.etc.inc.....;)

Being one of the people very upset at treatment received by Scenic and their offshoot company, see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1892421, may I draw your attention to the fine print in their T&C that says (Italics my emphasis):

" Pictures, Images and Information

All images in Tour Brochures represent typical scenes and descriptive detail for each tour , however it is possible that the particular subject matter may not be seen or experienced on Tour.

Also, some pictures may have been digitally enhanced."

Your Money May Vary

Edited by Marty156
add

First I will say I have not traveled with any other river cruise company but Scenic. On three different cruises they have never failed to impress on every point and have delivered more than expressed in their brochures. I would seriously be worried if any travel company did not state that any part of their brochure was not digitally enhanced that is the beauty of the digital age no more air brushing etc much faster no waiting for that magical weather window for exterior shots for instance. At no point have I had issue with what is depicted in the brochure compared with reality. Any company must also ensure that through no fault of their own there is no comeback if an excursion for example has to be changed. In fact I have seen on other threads that other companies if there is not enough interest the excursion is cancelled not so on Scenic on one of our trips there were only four on one excursion so they had a very exclusive tour.

It's the little thoughtful surprising bits that I enjoy, maybe other cruise companies do it as well but they do watch each other and what one company does today another will not be far behind e.g. being greeted when arriving on board with a rose, arriving back from an excursion to be offered a choice of hot drink, if it's cold or cold drink if it's hot, nibbles tasters in the lounge whilst cruising, different entertainment on board in the evening, cooking demos by the chef, towel folding demo by one of the hotel staff really good fun. On our last cruise the cruise director asked if we were willing to let here have photographs we had taken then if we later gave her a memory card she loaded all the pictures on to them this meant we had a comprehensive memory of our cruise through many passengers eyes as well as our own a super idea.

Whoever you cruise with have a lovely time with many happy memories.

and do hope my experience is similar to later,since I did read Martys posts re poor treatment during floods.But then MANY other companies were also very bad.Must just HOPE no repeats.

Not sure about "digital enhancement"since I ve been on 10 other river boats and realize everything in photos tend to look bigger.

Like to TRY new lines and see for myself.Have taken a few I won t go on again.

Oh,thanks for Tauck tip.As said before,,would DEFINITLY go on one,,,but for lack of balcony.Which SORRY is a deal breaker.Maybe in future??:)

and do hope my experience is similar to later,since I did read Martys posts re poor treatment during floods.But then MANY other companies were also very bad.

Your memory is different from mine. I remember the negative posts concentrating on only 2 companies. Most others were praised for the way they handled the crisis.

and found MANY articles about MANY different river cruise lines that had numerous problems and complaints during both the flooding and drought conditions.

Agree,the worse seemed to be Viking and Scenic.But posts were made re Avalon,AMA,etc.

Not trying to PICK on any line,it was an awful mess.Just hope they ALL learned a little more re customer relations.

Was NOT a factor one way or other why I picked Scenic.Good dates,itinerary,ship perks,etc.major factors.

As said above, that s how I base my cruises now.;)

Hi Alexandra cruiser, Scenic's brochure pictures are certainly good the way to look at any brochure picture like these is as if you are using a telephoto lens, note there are no extraneous objects just what is required to show what is required I suspect this is most probably where some of the digital editing comes in, along with no red eye or skin blemishes, we all wish.

I'm quite sure if we looked at the very fine print on any travel brochure (cruise or otherwise), we'd find the same disclaimer. If we truly believed the pictures in brochures, then the only people travelling are incredibly good looking, totally in shape and always dressed like models!

Alexandra cruiser - I had booked our Scenic cruise last year before the negative comments and reviews regarding how they handled the flooding. I did become very concerned when reading them; however, I'm so glad that I went ahead with the cruise anyway. It was fantastic and I have nothing but good things to say about Scenic and I plan to cruise with them again.

certainly help me feel I ve made the right choice. I even put a HOLD on northern France on Scenic for 2015.They do fill up so fast,So I REALLY DO hope I like this first one in June.

They HAD ME at the extras,such as TUB, room service,no tips to pay(on and off ship),all exc.inc. and on and on.Love the balcony concept too.

Will let CC know what I think after,of course.:)

The new enclosed when you want balconies are fantastic okay so you may not use them a lot but coffee in the morning when other half is hogging the bathroom or five minutes peace and quiet at odd times is wonderful. We are on the Seine Paris to Honfleur and back in July this year, second cruise on the Seine for Scenic Gem I think it will be quite busy being the time of year but we are prepared for that, last year we did Amsterdam to Basil in April it was so'oo cold but lovely and warm aboard ship. Now trying to decide where to go next year so many tempting choices.

for NEXT May.for same area.You MUST let us know all the details.

Im on the Budapest to Bucharest one in June,how about that one next?Will let you all know how THAT was,of course.

Wanted to do one in April,but the cold weather held me back.Like it WARM,but hey I m from Florida,haha.

I want to have breakfast on balcony,with top down if raining.Just to experience room service on a RIVER CRUISE SHIP.That s one of the reasons I opted for jr.suite(and tub).

Also ,the new Bordeaux river cruise for 2015 in France sounds great.Many options.:)

Edited by alexandra cruiser