NCL Lamanai Ruins Tour Belize

gardiner41

We did Lamanai in January while on the Jewel

There is always mention of how long the day is.

I would like to clear that up a bit.

Yes it is a 7.5 hour tour. However it is very well run, and is really like 3 tours in one.

I went to Chichen Itza in Mexico and THAT was a long drawn out miserable day.

Long bus ride, stops at tourist traps and unbelievable crowds.

Lamanai was the exact opposite.

The first part of the day is a panoramic bus tour of the city. You drive through the city from the port to get to the river. It is only about an hour ride which flies by as the guide is pointing out things of interest and explaining life and culture in Belize.

Then you arrive at the river and are treated to a very fun speedboat ride up the river.

The boats are fast and it's great fun to ride through the mangrove jungle. The drivers stop several times to point out interesting things along the river, including an old order Amish community and wild life.

We stopped to see a spider Monkey. I happened to have a banana in my bag so I offered it to see if we could entice the monkey to come closer. Which it did. Right up to the boat. Great picture ops and a lot of fun to watch a wild monkey in his natural habitat.

Depending on the time of year there will be more or less stops for wildlife, based on what is out and about on the day you take the trip.

The speed boat ride and tour of the river lasts about an hour.

Next you arrive at the Site of the ruins. This part of the day includes a hike through the jungle to get to the ruins. It is a lovely 1km hike on good walking paths. Anyone who does not have limited mobility will have no trouble at all. One gentleman in our group had a cane and he made it..a little slower but without difficulty.

On the hike the guide tells you about the area, and the trees and plants and how they affected Maya culture. Very interesting and lovely walk.

As if all that were not enough, you then arrive at the main attraction , the ruins. There are 2 or 3 ( I can't remember which) main sites and the guide will stop and talk about each in detail. Lots of time to take pictures

At one spot the guide will give some history and then allow free time so people can explore the area a bit on their own and those who want can climb the ruins. Something that is not allowed in Mexico.

Then it is time to head back to the boats for a very fast ride back down the river, and a bit of a race with the other boats.

Once you are back you are served lunch. Buffet style which was good...not fantastic, but you don't take this tour for the food :)

And then it is back on the bus for the drive back to port. Which is fairly quick and a great time to reflect on a wonderful day enjoying the nature and beauty of Belize.

This tour is excellent value for the money spent, is extremely well organized, and does not waste time at silly tourist traps like so many others do.

It is a full day of adventure but not a long drawn out day with too much down time.

A couple of tips to make the most of it.

Make sure you bring bug spray..and use it. You will be in the jungle..there are mosquitoes. We had no trouble with bugs because we had our spray.

Bring water! again it is the jungle it is humid and hot...more or less depending on time of year..but always hot and humid.

Throw a light jacket or sweater in your back pack. Some people found it chilly on the speedboat ride on the way back with the wind off the water.

Wear running or hiking shoes ..it is the jungle! You will be walking, hiking, and boating dress appropriately.

We saw people with sandals and flipflops and one lady in high heels....they were not comfortable..but that was their own fault, not the fault of the tour.

You may get wet from the splash of the speed boat...that is part of boating, dress appropriately and throw an extra t -shirt into your bag if you don't like to be wet so you can change or put on a weatherproof jacket.

This is an excellent tour that many people do over and over because it is a wonderful experience and really 3 tours in one.

Make the most of your day in Belize and enjoy all it has to offer.

So glad you posted this. We are doing a cruise in December with a stop in Belize and I have been trying to figure out excursions. My kids will be 14, 11 and 11. It sounds like the speedboat portion would break this day up nicely for them. I believe you have sold me on this excursion.

I loved this tour as well. And you are right it is like 3 tours rolled into one.

There were 3 temples, the Mask Temple, the High Temple (the one you can climb) and the Temple of the Jaguar Masks.

I agree with everything you stated except we wore sandals. I would recommend a good walking sandal though if that is your footwear of choice, since the ground can be quite uneven.

High heels? :eek:

Great to see your post. We totally agree. We did Lamanai with our DD - then 8 yrs old. Very long day - but sooo worth it. Incredible experience - no to be missed. If you like Lamanai - you will like Coba from Cozumel. The temple you can climb is even higher!

I am in total agreement with this review. We went this February and had a GREAT time! The bus ride was quite the eyeopener though. We sat in the very front seat and watched in amazement at the passing skills of our driver :eek: I recommend that if you are a backseat driver DO NOT SIT UPFRONT!

As for the rest of the day, it was wonderful. Just be sure to book this excursion through NCL because it is a long day and the ship must wait for you if you are late in returning, something they won't do if you go through an independent tour.

I've done this tour three times with NCL, DH twice. The last time the walking route through the ruins was a little different but it was still a very enjoyable tour. This is a tour I wouldn't do outside of the cruise lines ... bus could break down, boat could break down, just not willing to have to stay behind in Belize. Be sure to bring bug spray.

Here's NCL's short youtube video

Here is a longer video someone posted (not a NCL tour but it's the same river/ruins).

LOL here's a picture of Mom and me on the boat ride.

d81ac61c-15f2-42f4-a889-1ed755b3044b_zpse0f28178.jpg

kj

So glad you posted this. We are doing a cruise in December with a stop in Belize and I have been trying to figure out excursions. My kids will be 14, 11 and 11. It sounds like the speedboat portion would break this day up nicely for them. I believe you have sold me on this excursion.

Your family will have a great time on this tour. The entire day is nicely broken up. The 11 year olds won't get bored at all.

The bus ride is very eye opening. No chance to get board on it.

Jungle hike is great...and not too long, so the kids will have another cool thing to talk about...how many people get to go hiking the jungle :)

We are planning to take my siblings and their families on a cruise next winter and I will highly recommend they take this in Belize with their families.

We personally probably won't do it twice, just because we want to see other things next time we go back to the Island...but it is an exceptional tour.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've done this tour three times with NCL, DH twice. The last time the walking route through the ruins was a little different but it was still a very enjoyable tour. This is a tour I wouldn't do outside of the cruise lines ... bus could break down, boat could break down, just not willing to have to stay behind in Belize. Be sure to bring bug spray.

100% agree.

We rarely do cruiseline excursions any more. Except for a long day with a lot of components that could cause one to be late. In all of my research most people suggested doing Belize with the ship, and particularly this tour.

Many stories of boats breaking down (though not on our day) They tend to be stories coming from people who booked this tour with another company.

We did the tour with a different cruiseline, but they all seem to use the same tour agents. We loved the trip - it was a long day, but worth it. The biggest problem is with timing lunch. It is too early to eat before the boat ride, but quite late when you return to the dock after the boatride back - it was close to 3pm on our tour. They gave out cookies before the ride, so it was not too bad, but most were ravenous by the time lunch was served and with the hiking around, you work up an appetite, so bring along something to munch on.

I loved this tour as well. And you are right it is like 3 tours rolled into one.

There were 3 temples, the Mask Temple, the High Temple (the one you can climb) and the Temple of the Jaguar Masks.

I agree with everything you stated except we wore sandals. I would recommend a good walking sandal though if that is your footwear of choice, since the ground can be quite uneven.

High heels? :eek:

Thank you for clarifying the temples. I forgot to journal that day when I got back to the ship. I think from now on I will bring a little note book in the back pack to write down points of interest like this so I don't forget the details.

Good point about hiking sandals. There were some in our group who had good hiking sandals...those are fine. But MORE people had regular sandals , flip flops and yup high heels. LOL There were 2 or 3 ladies who were obviously city girls who had never been in nature...full make up , hair, "clothes" and heels. I shook my head at first then had to laugh. They will be the ones to come back and wright a review saying it was horrible lol :rolleyes:

We did Lamanai in January while on the Jewel

There is always mention of how long the day is.

I would like to clear that up a bit.

Yes it is a 7.5 hour tour. However it is very well run, and is really like 3 tours in one.

I went to Chichen Itza in Mexico and THAT was a long drawn out miserable day.

Long bus ride, stops at tourist traps and unbelievable crowds.

Lamanai was the exact opposite.

The first part of the day is a panoramic bus tour of the city. You drive through the city from the port to get to the river. It is only about an hour ride which flies by as the guide is pointing out things of interest and explaining life and culture in Belize.

Then you arrive at the river and are treated to a very fun speedboat ride up the river.

The boats are fast and it's great fun to ride through the mangrove jungle. The drivers stop several times to point out interesting things along the river, including an old order Amish community and wild life.

We stopped to see a spider Monkey. I happened to have a banana in my bag so I offered it to see if we could entice the monkey to come closer. Which it did. Right up to the boat. Great picture ops and a lot of fun to watch a wild monkey in his natural habitat.

Depending on the time of year there will be more or less stops for wildlife, based on what is out and about on the day you take the trip.

The speed boat ride and tour of the river lasts about an hour.

Next you arrive at the Site of the ruins. This part of the day includes a hike through the jungle to get to the ruins. It is a lovely 1km hike on good walking paths. Anyone who does not have limited mobility will have no trouble at all. One gentleman in our group had a cane and he made it..a little slower but without difficulty.

On the hike the guide tells you about the area, and the trees and plants and how they affected Maya culture. Very interesting and lovely walk.

As if all that were not enough, you then arrive at the main attraction , the ruins. There are 2 or 3 ( I can't remember which) main sites and the guide will stop and talk about each in detail. Lots of time to take pictures

At one spot the guide will give some history and then allow free time so people can explore the area a bit on their own and those who want can climb the ruins. Something that is not allowed in Mexico.

Then it is time to head back to the boats for a very fast ride back down the river, and a bit of a race with the other boats.

Once you are back you are served lunch. Buffet style which was good...not fantastic, but you don't take this tour for the food :)

And then it is back on the bus for the drive back to port. Which is fairly quick and a great time to reflect on a wonderful day enjoying the nature and beauty of Belize.

This tour is excellent value for the money spent, is extremely well organized, and does not waste time at silly tourist traps like so many others do.

It is a full day of adventure but not a long drawn out day with too much down time.

A couple of tips to make the most of it.

Make sure you bring bug spray..and use it. You will be in the jungle..there are mosquitoes. We had no trouble with bugs because we had our spray.

Bring water! again it is the jungle it is humid and hot...more or less depending on time of year..but always hot and humid.

Throw a light jacket or sweater in your back pack. Some people found it chilly on the speedboat ride on the way back with the wind off the water.

Wear running or hiking shoes ..it is the jungle! You will be walking, hiking, and boating dress appropriately.

We saw people with sandals and flipflops and one lady in high heels....they were not comfortable..but that was their own fault, not the fault of the tour.

You may get wet from the splash of the speed boat...that is part of boating, dress appropriately and throw an extra t -shirt into your bag if you don't like to be wet so you can change or put on a weatherproof jacket.

This is an excellent tour that many people do over and over because it is a wonderful experience and really 3 tours in one.

Make the most of your day in Belize and enjoy all it has to offer.

Definitely the best Mayan ruins tour we've taken and one of the best overall. DH was thrilled to be able to climb the tall ruin at Lamanai. Very well run....only problem on our day was that someone did not follow instructions and our numbers were one less when we arrived back at the tender. Last tender waited until someone from the tour company retrieved the stray and we finally tendered back to the ship.

I am in total agreement with this review. We went this February and had a GREAT time! The bus ride was quite the eyeopener though. We sat in the very front seat and watched in amazement at the passing skills of our driver :eek: I recommend that if you are a backseat driver DO NOT SIT UPFRONT!

As for the rest of the day, it was wonderful. Just be sure to book this excursion through NCL because it is a long day and the ship must wait for you if you are late in returning, something they won't do if you go through an independent tour.

HAHA very true about the roads...but we find that in every Caribbean country.

We are Canadian so we have been to Cuba several times ( a fav Island All inclusive Vaca for us to get away fro mthese hard winters!) You think it was bad in Belize. Those roads and the driving was GREAT compared to Cuba :eek::eek:

We did the tour with a different cruiseline, but they all seem to use the same tour agents. We loved the trip - it was a long day, but worth it. The biggest problem is with timing lunch. It is too early to eat before the boat ride, but quite late when you return to the dock after the boatride back - it was close to 3pm on our tour. They gave out cookies before the ride, so it was not too bad, but most were ravenous by the time lunch was served and with the hiking around, you work up an appetite, so bring along something to munch on.

Excellent point!

Having done some long excursions before and been starving by the time we ate, at breakfast we took a muffin each, some bananas and some other easily portable snacks and wrapped them in napkins (which we left in our cabin that night for the steward to take back to the kitchen)

The snacks held us over quite nicely until lunch was served, AND one of the bananas came in very handy ;)

The monkey was up high in a tree looking at us, the guide says.. I wish I had a banana to see if I could entice him to come down...I quickly became the hero of the tour :)

..and then envy when others were hungry and saw we had snacks lol

I agree with the OP - this excursion is fantastic and well worth the full day.

In our case it was pouring rain and miserable outside which made for a very long, wet and cold day. But even with that we loved the ruins and when we went back to Belize this year it was something we wanted to do again to have a better experience.

Then I read some posts about one of the river boats taking a turn too fast (which we recall) and flipping over, dumping all the passengers and their belongings (cameras, purses etc.) in the water, I believe it was around Christmas. Of course anything is possible but considering we have done this before and don't really NEED to do it again we decided to leave it at that. Why tempt fate?!

Definitely the best Mayan ruins tour we've taken and one of the best overall. DH was thrilled to be able to climb the tall ruin at Lamanai. Very well run....only problem on our day was that someone did not follow instructions and our numbers were one less when we arrived back at the tender. Last tender waited until someone from the tour company retrieved the stray and we finally tendered back to the ship.

OK this is funny. We actually gained 3 extra passengers on our bus. We're not sure where the one came from but the other 2 were Carnival passengers that for some reason got left behind.

Our poor bus driver did a head count 3 times and was still coming up with one more than we left with besides the 2 from Carnival. She asked "is there anyone here that does not recognize myself or our other guide from the trip here". No one put up there hand. So she did the 3rd count and on the way back up someone stopped her and suggested she check with a lady that nobody on the bus recognized. I guess this lady didn't speak English but the bus driver finally got it straightened out with her, and she came with us to the ship.

I agree with the OP - this excursion is fantastic and well worth the full day.

In our case it was pouring rain and miserable outside which made for a very long, wet and cold day. But even with that we loved the ruins and when we went back to Belize this year it was something we wanted to do again to have a better experience.

Then I read some posts about one of the river boats taking a turn too fast (which we recall) and flipping over, dumping all the passengers and their belongings (cameras, purses etc.) in the water, I believe it was around Christmas. Of course anything is possible but considering we have done this before and don't really NEED to do it again we decided to leave it at that. Why tempt fate?!

I would not be steered away because of one accident out of hundreds of tours...they do it every day of the week and have been for years and that was the first accident like that.

More chance of getting in an accident on the morning comute to work:eek:

I would also be willing to bet...that driver no longer works for the company!.

kj

We did this tour Christmas day with NCL. We were on the Jewel, and the Pearl was also in port with us. They did have an incident, that could have caused someone to miss the boat if they had been doing this independently. While it is an excellent tour, and we had a wonderful time, for the most part, you do need to be aware. There are several different sized boats, from 10 pax to about 30 pax. We were on one of the bigger boats, and as we were loading up for the return from the ruins, our Guide started yelling at the driver to GO GO GO..!! they turned over!! GO NOW!! One of the smaller boats had capsized a few hundred yards from the dock :eek: It was a very surreal moment for me to say the least. Our boat, and several others sped over to assist in pulling the people from the water. There were 10 people total, 8 were cruise pax, plus the guide and driver. Thankfully there were no serious injuries and everyone was pulled aboard a boat. We had 6 pax more than we started with.. the others were on other boats. They lost all their belongings, camera bags, purses..etc.

The 1 hr ride back to where the buses were was subdued to say the least. The guide said that our boat did have lifejackets, under the seats, but neither mom nor I were able to locate them, I saw several others looking as well. And fwiw, there was no safety briefing of any kind before we left the docks at the beginning. It's not a short boat ride, its an hour, at high speed, with turns that set the boat at a seep angle ( if you're sitting on the end of the seat you don't have to reach far to drag your hand in the water) ... I hate to think what could have happened if that capsize had happened anywhere else on the river.

Would I do that tour again? Maybe, but you can be sure I would be checking for the lifejackets before we left the first dock.

they turned over!! GO NOW!!

The 1 hr ride back to where the buses were was subdued to say the least. It's not a short boat ride, its an hour, at high speed, with turns that set the boat at a seep angle ( if you're sitting on the end of the seat you don't have to reach far to drag your hand in the water) ...

So sorry to hear you were one of the ones who was a part of that accident. I am sure that driver and the guy who said "go are no longer working for that company!

As for the boats doing high speeds..and leaning so you can touch the water...well that is normal for speed boats. Unsettling for those who are not "boaters" I am sure. But normal none the less. The boats are designed for that. It's part of the thrill that boaters love. Including me. I grew up on the water and have lived near the water my entire life. so for us the faster the better and I loved sitting on the outside feeling the splash of the wake from the boat and being so close to the water I could touch it....but I did'nt as at those speeds it is not safe to put limbs out of the boat.

Folks not used to speed boats may find that unsettling...or they may love the thrill.

If one is not much of a thrill seeker..sit towards the middle of the boat on the inside (aisle) the chances of getting sprayed there are less, and that is the high point of the boat so you won't be so close to the water on turns.

As for safety briefing..we had a short one. Keep your arms and legs in the boat stay seated etc. Hopefully that is more the norm than not having one.

I think the "go now" instruction was for the bigger boat to race to the rescue of the people who were now thrown into the water. It was an urgent cry to help a capsized boat.

As I said - I loved this tour. Of course it's a risk you take and because we had already done this tour we decided not to. I love boating as well, been on boats my whole life. But I also boat with people I know and trust and have confidence in their ability to keep me safe!

Its important to know all the facts if you're considering this tour - if you're afraid of water or nervous flying around corners of a winding river - this may not be for you. Our boat ride was miserable as it was pouring rain and all we wanted to do was get to the ruins and get home - so for us, the faster the better. But agree with the OP - it could make some people very uneasy.

Mel&KEN:

Yes the Go NOW was direction for the driver to get our boat over to assist.

The capsized boat didn't go over because of a turn, it was following others out and was basically swamped. it hit the wake of the leading boat wrong, tossing the pax to the side, which shifted the weight balance of the boat, then when it hit the second wave of the wake...over it went.

I do understand how the boats sit in the water when they turn, and the 'drivers' tend to exaggerate the turns when the pax seem to be enjoying the thrill of the slide...

The tour was great, I'd probably do it again... I'm just hoping that the company has started providing a better safety briefing, and making sure there are flotation devices handier. Truth be told, a ride that long pax should be wearing flotation devices. There are many on the market that are not the big bulky mae west types. I realize that its not the usa and has different rules and requirements. Stay seated, keep your arms in the boat isn't much of a safety briefing. After the accident we were told that our boat did have life vests...but neither we, nor any of the others I saw looking for them were able to find them. They told us they were under the seats...but we didn't find them...

any future tours I do involving boats, you can be sure I'm going to be able to see and or lay hands on a flotation device before that boat leaves the dock.

For anyone who takes this excursion……please don't be insulated if the captain or guides tell you to sit in a certain seat. Their is a very good reason for, they are trying to balance out the boat. We took it in November and had two "large" people who were very angry they could not sit on the edge

Wow - I'm sorry to hear there was an accident. I can happen anytime, anywhere.

We loved this tour. Yes, it's a long day - but I figure, how often do I get to Belize - I want to spend as much of the day exploring as I can when we're in port. I can hang out on the boat on sea days.

Our tour was through NCL and our tour guide was awesome. He told us his story - he had a high school degree and an interest in the ruins and started hanging out at different sites and volunteering to help the archaeologists who were working there. He read everything he could (this was pre-internet) and got a job working for one of the tour companies. Archaeologists and guests would send him books from the U.S. that he didn't have access to in Belize. He was very knowledgeable.

The trip is broken up well - bus ride where you hear the history of the island, then the boat ride, ruin visit, boat ride, and then a late lunch. My legs were plenty sour after climbing the one you can climb - but the view from the top is beautiful.

I do understand how the boats sit in the water when they turn, and the 'drivers' tend to exaggerate the turns when the pax seem to be enjoying the thrill of the slide...

The tour was great, I'd probably do it again... I'm just hoping that the company has started providing a better safety briefing, and making sure there are flotation devices handier. Truth be told, a ride that long pax should be wearing flotation devices. There are many on the market that are not the big bulky mae west types. I realize that its not the usa and has different rules and requirements. Stay seated, keep your arms in the boat isn't much of a safety briefing. After the accident we were told that our boat did have life vests...but neither we, nor any of the others I saw looking for them were able to find them. They told us they were under the seats...but we didn't find them...

any future tours I do involving boats, you can be sure I'm going to be able to see and or lay hands on a flotation device before that boat leaves the dock.

We never got any safety briefing at all and that was just the past February.

Our life vests were very visible, either tucked in the bar of the seat in front of you are under our seats (when we were sitting in the last seat of the boat). And I'm sure if anyone had been nervous and wanted to wear one, they would not have had an issue with that.

Although our driver was fast, I never felt in danger at any time.

Sorry to hear that others had problems.

My memories of this are that it was the worst tour I had ever been on.

It started well, we drove to the place the boat was leaving from, were given a few moments to buy a drink and then got on our boat. It had an engine problem. We puttered along and stopped a few times. Eventually we arrived at the ruins. Our guide turned into an army sergeant. No time for toilets and she literally ran through the tour. Some of us were not physically up to this and got left behind. We caught up at the main ruin and as soon as we got there everyone was called down off the pyramid and off she ran again. When we got back to the dock there was no time for the toilets again but I just ignored her as I was furious by now. The boat wasn't fixed so we started to putter back. Mid way another boat came to meet us and we had to clamber from one to the other. When we got to the boat dock the food was thrown at us, the guide came round telling us we needed to eat fast and then the driver drove like a madman back to the ship. We were not late getting back as you might think we were, in fact we all got on the tender and I am certain there was another one after that. Not the great day out we thought we were getting for sure.