Can seasickness be "cured" forever by only one VERY bad experience...?

TrumpyNor

Personally I did my first cruise in 2002 (Mediterranean) and one evening the sea was very rough somewhere between Barcelona and Nice, and I became very, very seasick. Even my DH was feeling the waves, and he used to work on a cruise ship for several years back in the 1990'ies without any problems. We both received a seasick tablet at the reception on board, and that literally knocked us out for about 12 hours (until the next morning). Since then I have NEVER been seasick, and have now 19 cruises under my belt.

I just wonder if it is possible that the first time experience kind of "cured" my body for future seasickness....? Especially since I still today have to be careful not to get motion sickness when travelling by bus or car, even if it is just a half-hour drive. And I NEVER get sick on a cruise ship anymore.

I should probably also mention that my first cruise was on an older ship than NCL has in its fleet today - so that probably means that the ship stabilators were not as good as they are on newer ships. But I still find in strange that I was soooooo sick that first cruise, and never ever again since.... :p

That's good to hear.

I always have my wife take a bonine the first day before we set sail (about an hour beforehand) and it works wonders on her for the subsequent days. She gets pretty car/seasick easily.

Sour candies also do wonders. Not sure why but it works rather well :)

That's good to hear.

I always have my wife take a bonine the first day before we set sail (about an hour beforehand) and it works wonders on her for the subsequent days. She gets pretty car/seasick easily.

Sour candies also do wonders. Not sure why but it works rather well :)

Ginger candies do the trick for me!:D

I just wonder if it is possible that the first time experience kind of "cured" my body for future seasickness....? Especially since I still today have to be careful not to get motion sickness when travelling by bus or car, even if it is just a half-hour drive. And I NEVER get sick on a cruise ship anymore.

The body can be a mysterious thing, but I've never heard of someone being "cured" of motion sickness due to a shock to the system (unless maybe high voltage..lol). Good for you that you no longer get sick on cruises though. That would suck

Edited by sdmike

I should probably also mention that my first cruise was on an older ship than NCL has in its fleet today - so that probably means that the ship stabilators were not as good as they are on newer ships. But I still find in strange that I was soooooo sick that first cruise, and never ever again since.... :p

No, you can not be exactly cured from motion sickness. Seasickness is a form of motion sickness and is caused by mixed signals from eyesight and equilibrium sensors located in the ears. However all motion sickness types are not equal and Wikipedia states that "some sufferers of carsickness are resistant to seasickness and vice-versa".

The symptoms and the treshold for triggerin the motion sickness can vary over the time but for those that are prone to it, never completely get rid of it.

I too can get carsick if reading anything on a bumpy or hilly road, and it requires similar conditions (rougher seas and constant up-and-down movement) for me to get seasick.

I think that the difference between first and other cruises in your case just comes from the enviroment variables and the size and accessories of newer ships compared to old ones - it's completely different story when you are cruising on an old 1000+ pax ship compared to a modern 3000+ pax ship.

As one poster in the another thread said, if the crew starts to get green, then you know that the weather is quite rough and I think that this too applies to your first cruise since your ex-ship-crew-member husband was under the weather also. :D

Not cured but acclimated might be a better term. My first ship in the Navy was a flat bottomed LST that rode the waves like a cork. The smallest swell would make the ship rock something fierce and real waves were an adventure. Since then I haven't had an issue with seasickness.

Since it was only the one time , perhaps you were not sea sick .

Perhaps you were poisoned (food) :eek:

12 hours sounds about right..

Either way count yourself lucky that it does not affect your cruising ;)

Edited by mpk218

I dont know, but i've had the same experience! My first cruise was on the Carnival Destiny in November 1999. I got SO sick. Could not leave the bathroom the whole night. We were going through aftermath of a hurricane and a lot of the crew were sick too and said they've never experienced that so i know it was pretty bad. I remember walking down the hall and just bouncing from wall to wall. Room service brought me a pill and i slept for 12 hours and felt great the next day. 5 cruises after that never even a hint of sickness.

Since it was only the one time , perhaps you were not sea sick .

Perhaps you were poisoned (food) :eek:

12 hours sounds about right..

Either way count yourself lucky that it does not affect your cruising ;)

Definitely seasick that first time (I have had food poisoning ashore once, and that was very different).... It was not 12 hours of seasickness, but 12 hours of "deep sleep" because of the seasick tablets we got... ;)

And yes - very lucky that I am not feeling anything close to seasick or motion sick on the newer ships, since I truly love cruising. :)

On one of these boards, somebody (a navy vet perhaps?) who said he was told "there is a sea for every man"(or similar...my apologies if I mangled the quote), meaning every one is vulnerable to sea sickness, though the conditions that cause it may vary. I think the seas on your first cruise triggered you and your DH. If you sail enough, you may encounter another sea state (or sea conditions plus some medical condition or a virus or certain food or drink )that gets you again. I hope I do not meet "my sea," but I shall try to be kind to everybody who does get seasick on my sailings, just as I'd like them to be kind to me.

On one of these boards, somebody (a navy vet perhaps?) who said he was told "there is a sea for every man"(or similar...my apologies if I mangled the quote), meaning every one is vulnerable to sea sickness, though the conditions that cause it may vary. I think the seas on your first cruise triggered you and your DH. If you sail enough, you may encounter another sea state (or sea conditions plus some medical condition or a virus or certain food or drink )that gets you again. I hope I do not meet "my sea," but I shall try to be kind to everybody who does get seasick on my sailings, just as I'd like them to be kind to me.

Wise words....! :)

Not cured but acclimated might be a better term. My first ship in the Navy was a flat bottomed LST that rode the waves like a cork. The smallest swell would make the ship rock something fierce and real waves were an adventure. Since then I haven't had an issue with seasickness.

Same for me. My first ship in 1978 "cured" me after my first time out....was a CG though...smaller and bounced more... LOL

I'm guessing you do get used to it or else it would be impossible to have a navy. My DW gets it terribly' date=' she has ruined many fishing trips :mad:. I've heard that if someone gets thrown in the drink they instantly snap out of it, but I've not had the gonads to try it.[/quote']

Haha you're a very smart man!

I do get car sick (only as a passenger), but have NEVER gotten sea sick.

Knock on wood.

Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I used to be extremely motionsick. Car, bus, plane, train, boat - you name it, I've been sick on it.

In college, I went on a weekend sailing trip with friends on a 30' sailboat. I was so ill I spent the weekend outside, huddled under the limited cover, in the cold & rain as I couldn't bear to be inside. I could not get off that boat fast enough.

It did cure me though. I sailed many more times after that, on the same boat, and never got sick again. I also have not gotten sick on a plane, or car since.

That said, we did our first cruise last year, and since it had been 10+ years since I had been on a boat, I did feel a bit queasy 2 of the days, but not enough to hamper any plans.

So, I agree you can be acclimated if not fully "cured". Just keep going on cruises regularly to keep your acclimation. :)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

The one and only time I have ever been seasick was on a 21' Century Cuddy Cabin on Monterey Bay in 8' swells in the fog about 25 years ago. As soon as the fog lifted and I could see the horizon, I was no longer seasick. Even when the swells picked up a bit. Couple of years later we took an 18' flat bottom bass boat out to the same place, no seasick, and we were getting tossed far more than the first time around, but no fog.

I went on my first cruise about 15 years later.

I fortunately have never been seasick on a cruise ship. :)

Personally I did my first cruise in 2002 (Mediterranean) and one evening the sea was very rough somewhere between Barcelona and Nice, and I became very, very seasick. Even my DH was feeling the waves, and he used to work on a cruise ship for several years back in the 1990'ies without any problems. We both received a seasick tablet at the reception on board, and that literally knocked us out for about 12 hours (until the next morning). Since then I have NEVER been seasick, and have now 19 cruises under my belt.

I wish it was!! I would lose the first day and a half due to seasickness on every cruise. I still have problems to this day. I found Seabands and they are light a magic switch to turn off the sea sickness. I feel it coming, slap them on and I am good to go.

You are very lucky to not have issues anymore. Sea sickness is terrible...

Happy Sailing!

6&8

Never been seasick on a cruise ship......have been numerous times when I was in the Navy. Most infamous was after a transit of the Panama Canal. 20 foot waves in the Western Caribbean for a couple of day. Corpsman were ready to put an IV in me.

I'm guessing you do get used to it or else it would be impossible to have a navy. My DW gets it terribly' date=' she has ruined many fishing trips :mad:. I've heard that if someone gets thrown in the drink they instantly snap out of it, but I've not had the gonads to try it.[/quote']

FWIW, after trying everything; pills, patches, wristbands, etc., she finally discovered ginger pills and they have worked with zero side effects.

It worked for me. I spent 3 years on a 390 foot Navy destroyer (AKA: tin can). I was sick my first day out to sea off San Diego. By the next day, I was fine and over the three years I rode out several typhoons and other assorted heavy seas producing 40-50 degree rolls where you have to hold on to your meal tray (or, put a wet slice of bread under it); position yourself to stay in your rack and hook your toes under the cabinet of the Teletype machine so you don't fall over backwards! To this day, no problem.