Potential first timer and am overwhelmed by everything!

Hi,

I was looking to book a family vacation over Christmas weekend. I think we have narrowed it to allure of the seas setting sail on dec 21 out of Ft lauderdale for a 7 night trip. I had a few questions to ask:

1) Christmas week seems to be more expensive than other times, even the week before/etc. I assume that's just because it's busy/holiday weekend?

2) when is the ideal time to book for this trip? Should I expect prices to go down if I wait a month or two and get within 6 months of departure? Prices are currently $1400 for oceanview, $1300 for inside, and $2000 for balcony

3) I see people saying they changed cabins/got upgrade offers/etc after they booked. Can someone explain what exactly that means/how it works? I would like to end up with a balcony or junior suite, but balconies are listed as $2000 and oceanview is $1400pp so it's hard to pay an extra $1200 per room. I also saw people saying they got a lower price when new deals went up after they booked. How does that work?

4) when do I actually pay for the trip? Everyone seems to advertise low deposits of like $50/pp. given its so low, what am I risking my locking in now (other than the obvious loss of deposit if I end up needing to cancel).

5) how do infants under 2 work? I tried to get a price online and it said I needed to call in if the infant was less than 2.

6) any suggestions who to book through? Any real difference between all the different websites out there / travel agents?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would say prices are likely to be heading upwards rather than down bearing in mind the holiday season. If it were me I would jump on now... without knowing what country you are in though it's not as clear cut as different countries have different cancellation options and policies with regards to price drops. I would book the room you are comfortable travelling in; if you should be in a position to upgrade further down the line that would be great but bear in mind if the prices go up so the difference in price may increase too. After final payment it may be possible to upgrade should the price be below that which you paid...... but again at that time of year you certainly can't count on that.

Unfortunately it is against Board guidelines to discuss specific Travel Agents here.

Interesting. Didn't realize where you're from had different cancelation policies. We are all in the US, Texas and Connecticut and my parents are over 55 (hopefully they get a little break).

How do upgrades work? Assume you sign up for an account on RC website and they will give you upgrade opportunities as they know their inventory level/get closer to the trip?

Also welcome to Cruise Critic. I've never cruised during Christmas, but they do tend to price it higher and have no trouble selling out. As far as upgrades, there is an official policy, but sometimes things seem to go differently. It's like found money, don't expect to pay for lunch today with the $20 you might find walking in.

My best advice for first time cruisers is, don't worry about seeing and doing everything the first time. If you like this, they let you come back. That said Allure is a pretty unique ship even for people who have cruised. Have you found your roll call group yet? Chat with those folks and you will probably find that helpful. There are a lot of reviews about Allure. I've been on her twice and most people love it.

Hi,

I was looking to book a family vacation over Christmas weekend. I think we have narrowed it to allure of the seas setting sail on dec 21 out of Ft lauderdale for a 7 night trip. I had a few questions to ask:

1) Christmas week seems to be more expensive than other times, even the week before/etc. I assume that's just because it's busy/holiday weekend?

2) when is the ideal time to book for this trip? Should I expect prices to go down if I wait a month or two and get within 6 months of departure? Prices are currently $1400 for oceanview, $1300 for inside, and $2000 for balcony

3) I see people saying they changed cabins/got upgrade offers/etc after they booked. Can someone explain what exactly that means/how it works? I would like to end up with a balcony or junior suite, but balconies are listed as $2000 and oceanview is $1400pp so it's hard to pay an extra $1200 per room. I also saw people saying they got a lower price when new deals went up after they booked. How does that work?

4) when do I actually pay for the trip? Everyone seems to advertise low deposits of like $50/pp. given its so low, what am I risking my locking in now (other than the obvious loss of deposit if I end up needing to cancel).

5) how do infants under 2 work? I tried to get a price online and it said I needed to call in if the infant was less than 2.

6) any suggestions who to book through? Any real difference between all the different websites out there / travel agents?

Thanks guys!

I can answer a couple of your questions -

1. Yes, Christmas is a very expensive time to cruise. If you can go a week or two before or after, you will see dramatic price differences.

2/3. Prices for Christmas cruises don't usually drop. However, keep an eye on them and if one appears, contact your travel agent or cruise line. Most cruise lines will honor it before final payment; after final payment Carnival will give you OBC [on board credit]. I am not sure about the others. Sometimes - RARELY - you will get a call from the cruise line offering you an upsell, which means they are offering a discount on the large cabin. You can take it or choose to stay in the cabin you booked. Free upgrades are pretty much a thing of the past. Best advice here is to book the size cabin you will be happy with because upgrades are few and far between. I have been offered 2 in 18 cruises.

4. Once you have made a deposit, you will be given a final payment date. All funds must be paid by that date, but you can make additional payments before then to bring the balance down.

5. I cannot answer the baby question!!

6. CC does not allow recommending specific travel agents or agencies. I would suggest you contact an agency in you area that specializes in cruising.

Unasked question: as you budget for the cruise, keep the following expenses in mind! Gratuities [usually $11-$13/person/day]; alcoholic and soft drinks [packages available]; port excursions [private tours are usually less expensive]

Have fun!!

In the UK, for example, we lose our deposit if we cancel. It's always worth checking out with whoever you book through what the specific policy is.

How do upgrades work? $1m question. There is a box you can tick within your online profile to show your preferences.... if you have booked a specific room you may not want to be moved. After final payment I have heard of someone who had booked directly with RCCL, called them as a room was available in a higher category and they negotiated a discounted rate for that room. After you have sailed you will be able to join the loyalty programme. Pinnacle and Diamond + members (the highest categories) are supposed to be offered the upgrades during the week before sailing.

The upgrade fairy has yet to visit me......

Thanks guys! Is final payment based on when the deposit is booked or when the sail date is?

It's based on sail date, 60 days maybe, I forget the number. Never had to cancel, I know I'm past that date for my next cruise.

Thanks guys! Is final payment based on when the deposit is booked or when the sail date is?

Final payment is based on sail date, length of cruise, and holiday. For a Christmas cruise, you must pay in full by 90 days before the cruise.

Final payment is based on sail date, length of cruise, and holiday. For a Christmas cruise, you must pay in full by 90 days before the cruise.

jaybert meet Bob.

When the rest of us don't know the answer, he does.... :)

Edited by NorbertsNiece

As for prices, the lowest prices are when school aged kids are in school. This means times when they are not, such as summer, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc are the most expensive. Summer is the most expensive of all.

I have gotten amazing deals in October for example. If you are flexible, look at early Fall or late Spring.

I use both the RCCL website and their phone number. I do not book with an agent. I use the website for finding the cruise I want, then if I find one, I secure it with a 24 hr hold on the website. Then I call RCCL, and book over the phone. I usually do this because I have discounts or I purchased a cruise credit on a previous cruise.

Hi,

Thanks guys!

If the price you see today is do-able for your budget then book it. If the price goes down then you simply call in and they reduce the price of your cruise so its a situation where you can't lose. Now, once final payment date comes (60 days prior to your cruise I think) then you won't get any price drops. So really, the only reason for waiting is to see if you can pick up the cruise during that 60 day period for cheaper. Risky and plus other arrangements (air, hotel) may be more expensive. FYI, Christmas is always an expensive week to cruise and I would wager a fair amount of money that the price will only go up.

What we've been doing for years now is booking a cruise we like as soon as possible - most times 12-18 months out. We've found that the price always drops a bit after booking and a simple phone call gets the new price.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Hi,

Thanks guys!

1. Yes, simple supply/demand. Increased demand for the same supply.

2. This varies lots. Since you are doing a Holiday sailing, you want to book early. I would book now if you know you want to do it and can afford it.

3-4. You pay an base which varies greatly depending on sailing. From the Royal Caribbean site "For all holiday sailings, (Christmas and New Year's), payment is due 90 days prior to sailing."http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2688&faqSubjectId=323 What happens is you continue to check the website for discounts and price drops. If you see something of interest (maybe you reserved an interior and the balcony drops to the same price, you could take that instead.) Call Royal Caribbean and ask to change your reservation. You will need your reservation number. Just keep checking until you print out your documents. (I never print out my documents more than a few days before I leave.) You are not really risking anything as long as you book before 90 days in advance.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323

5.INFANT POLICY

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise and/or CruiseTour. HOWEVER: For transatlantic, transpacific, Hawaii, select South American and other selected cruises and/or CruiseTours, the infant must be at least 12 months old as of the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour. For the purposes of this policy, any cruise that has 3 or more days consecutive at sea will require infants to be 12 months old on the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour.

Please be aware that guests travelling with a young infant that does not meet the infant policy will be denied boarding. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests.

Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean International's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for their cruise vacation. However, if a guest celebrates their 21st birthday during the cruise, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship's records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services with his or her parent or guardian and to present a government issued form of identification to establish that the guest's 21st birthday was celebrated during the cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333

6. Book directly with Royal Caribbean either with their site or the phone number listed on the site. Using a travel agent makes things more complicated.

I recommend you go to RCCL web site and in the upper left corner click on Planning a Cruise. Then click on advanced search link. Click on the selections that interest you. For example click Dec. 2014 and when you find a cruise that interest you then click "see all departure dates". You will then see prices for different days for the same cruise.

Welcome -- and enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

A lot of good information above and I will try not to repeat what has already been said. Others have pointed out it is risky to wait to see if price drops occur. It is risky because (particularly for a peak season cruise): (1) the prime cabins will go quickly, and (2) it very well may sell out completely.

As to whether to book on your own or use a travel agent, it depends. We are pretty comfortable dealing with the cruise line on our own and like to have the control [if you use a TA, the cruise line will deal only with that agent and will not allow you to make changes to the reservation]. On the other hand, we have a good friend who is a TA that we trust implicitly and gives us some perks in the form of on board credit or things like that. In other words we get a little better deal using a TA. That is not always the case. I would never use a TA unless it made some kind of positive change in the bottom line in my favor. [Note, TA's are not supposed to discount the cruise fare, but they receive commission and sometimes give some of that back to the client in the form of a gift [bottle of wine, specialty dinner, etc. or on board credit]. I would never ever never use a TA that charged a fee for services. Some people feel comfortable dealing directly, some just don't want to be bothered. So if you want to use a TA, shop around, get recommendations from your friends [just don't ask here becasue as has been stated it is against the rules to discuss specific TA's].

Again, enjoy the trip.

Edited by mjldvlks

Also welcome to Cruise Critic. I've never cruised during Christmas, but they do tend to price it higher and have no trouble selling out. As far as upgrades, there is an official policy, but sometimes things seem to go differently. It's like found money, don't expect to pay for lunch today with the $20 you might find walking in.

My best advice for first time cruisers is, don't worry about seeing and doing everything the first time. If you like this, they let you come back. That said Allure is a pretty unique ship even for people who have cruised. Have you found your roll call group yet? Chat with those folks and you will probably find that helpful. There are a lot of reviews about Allure. I've been on her twice and most people love it.

could not have said it any better.:)

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. I called and confirmed that the 1.5 year old gets charged a standard 3rd person fee for the cabin which is a bit ridiculous. When you include the baby, it's over $6k for the 3 of us. I think we are probably going to just book for another time in 2015 since we can take vacation time anytime/no school aged children to plan around.

Hopefully you can leverage Camp Grandma... thats how we started cruising. When the kids were a bit older (5 and 6), we brought them along...and they had a blast as the kids clubs work really well at that age.

1. Yes, Christmas is a very expensive time to cruise. If you can go a week or two before or after, you will see dramatic price differences.

You can say that again. Cruises early-mid December can run HALF what they do over Christmas and New Years.:mad: Likely all attributable to Christmas break at schools.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. I called and confirmed that the 1.5 year old gets charged a standard 3rd person fee for the cabin which is a bit ridiculous. When you include the baby, it's over $6k for the 3 of us. I think we are probably going to just book for another time in 2015 since we can take vacation time anytime/no school aged children to plan around

I'm taking it the kids sail free doesn't apply to this sailing?

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. I called and confirmed that the 1.5 year old gets charged a standard 3rd person fee for the cabin which is a bit ridiculous. When you include the baby, it's over $6k for the 3 of us. I think we are probably going to just book for another time in 2015 since we can take vacation time anytime/no school aged children to plan around

I'm taking it the kids sail free doesn't apply to this sailing?

Nah kids sail free is only good until dec 15. I checked a thanksgiving booking which qualified, but it was still $4000+ since the only balcony rooms which qualifies for 3people were $2000 vs $1200 for a standard balcony

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. I called and confirmed that the 1.5 year old gets charged a standard 3rd person fee for the cabin which is a bit ridiculous. When you include the baby, it's over $6k for the 3 of us. I think we are probably going to just book for another time in 2015 since we can take vacation time anytime/no school aged children to plan around.

I'm taking it that the kids sail free doesn't apply to this cruise?