Bump the price and 3rd or 4th guest sail FREE sale?

guxu

Folks -

I am sure that there were/are some "bargains" out there with Royals' "kids sail free" promotion. Guess what? Royal has been slowly raising their prices prior to the "sale", and yes, many of the deals are not really deals. They have finally realized that everyone loves a "sale" (think Kohl's Stores where everything is on sale or they send you a special coupon code) - so they jack the prices up - then offer you a "deal", and you bite. They are competing with the clowns of the business - Carnival and NCL, so they have to stoop to the sales tactics.......that's just my opinion, and I am sticking to it..........

In addition to the taxes, port fees, etc, you also have to consider "demand based pricing" where the cost of the room is based on how many are left and how likely the ship is to sell out of that category, and compare exact cabin categories to see what's happening pricewise. It's no good just saying "ocean view", you've also got to consider whether you're looking at an I or an H, for example. Looking at Indy Deck 8, you can see that ALL the E2s only sleep 2. Most of the E1s have Pullman, connecting doors, or both. All of the D2 sleep 2 only. Almost all of the D1 have Pullman, sofa beds, or connecting doors, or some combination. So unless you're comparing 2 in an x1 category with 3 or 4 in the same x1 category, you've got no idea how much of the price is based on "We have only 10 of the E1s left on the ship but 75 E2s" demand pricing.

Our price for the 1st and 2nd also went up, but it was about a $400 cost savings for us so I'm not going to complain. The only think I'm worried about is what the cost for our 5th (adult) occupant is and if it changed. I didn't receive a new booking confirmation for my mom and she's listed on a different page. She better have not been increased as well or we may not be talking much of a savings.

Our family of 4 is booked on Oasis July 5 for $1499 each for adjoining D4 cabins. I priced the sale and the 1st/2nd person cost in a D3 or above (had to get this for the quad) was around $1999. Ultimately our savings would have been around $1000 to all move to one cabin ( counting loss of OBC and other perks). For that price we decided it was not worth it to cram into 1 cabin for a week. We already are paying so much for this cruise and we want to have some privacy and the space of 2 cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am finding that the sailings during peak "family" times have hiked up the rates for 1 & 2. Like summer and holiday weekends or breaks.

However, we're going on the Brilliance in October for a Canada/ New England cruise. I just rebooked and saved $400 for us with the kids sail free promo. I'm guessing because it's not a popular cruise for families being that it's during the school year.

Our price for the 1st and 2nd also went up, but it was about a $400 cost savings for us so I'm not going to complain. The only think I'm worried about is what the cost for our 5th (adult) occupant is and if it changed. I didn't receive a new booking confirmation for my mom and she's listed on a different page. She better have not been increased as well or we may not be talking much of a savings.

If there are more than 4 people on a booking it will always end up on another page. I have a friend with 4 kids, so when they sail in a family cabin they always get two confirmations and different pages. The additional people will still get the benefit of being an additional passengers in the cabin and won't be charged full price.

It's also hard to measure because pricing is capacity controlled ... once a few of the triples and quads in a category have sold early in the sale, the price may go up. However, it always seems there is a price creep with these "sales" since they are trying to attract new cruisers who might not have looked at the pricing otherwise.

We paid a deposit on 3/1 for a Family Oceanview with Balcony. At that time, the 1st and 2nd rate was $1839. Called up last night to make another payment, and the rep checked to see if there was a price drop - it actually went up to $2,239!

Thanks to those on the board who gave a heads up on the sale! I was really bummed out about losing our deposit for Enchantment on 4/11 as my sister's OB refused to give her a fit to sail letter the week after final payment date. This came as a nice surprise!

We have a family oceanview booked for Freedom in October. We paid $2,900 for 5 of us, including all taxes, fees, and gratuities (prepaid them). We also got $120 in shipboard credit. For some of us, this is a really good sale!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I got lucky on this promotion. Last Sunday I just happened to log on to Royal's website and noticed it. Started playing around with rates for our already booked cruise in July on Freedom and rebooked.

We were staying in a JS and I was able to upgrade to a GS for the same cruise and save $3,400.00 taking advantage of this promotion.

I did spend two hours on the phone with them getting it all sorted out, but that is taken care of. I had to call again last night as they screwed up transferring my old deposit to the new reservation - actually put the $1,000 on someone else's cruise.

I was shocked we were able to make the upgrade to a GS and save that kind of money!

Now, I am just worried about being spooled in the GS and scouring for deals to obtain it on future cruises.

Well, we don't mind cramming 4 people, including 2 adults and 2 teenage girls, into a single cabin, so I think we have a good deal. We're spending under $7000 for 12 nights in the Med, peak summer time of August, in an inside gty, including airfare from Philadelphia.

Well, we don't mind cramming 4 people, including 2 adults and 2 teenage girls, into a single cabin, so I think we have a good deal. We're spending under $7000 for 12 nights in the Med, peak summer time of August, in an inside gty, including airfare from Philadelphia.

That's what my family are doing, cramming four people into an inside cabin on Freedom but the way I look at it, really how much time are we actually going to spend in the cabin itself??

We crammed the four of us into an inside balcony on Oasis and it was a little crowded but we didn't really spend a lot of time in there, only to sleep, shower and get dressed.

Yes I know the inside cabin on freedom will be smaller but hey the cost is a little less then $1800CDN for the four us on the 3rd and 4th person free sale, which is pretty much $450pp. We looked into getting an oceanview cabin but it was $1200 more for a window......

Our airfare on the other hand is a different story....:eek:

When I click on the advertisement on Royal Caribbeans website, it only brings up cruises on Grandeur. How are you guys seeing the 3rd/4th sail free on other ships? Is the promotion good for all ships, and all sailings?

on most cruises through this year. Just do a dummy booking on a particular cruise you are considering

Edited by SeaUs

I booked a OV room for 6 before the sale and then booked a balcony for six during the sale and easily saved over a thousand dollars on my original booking but I upgraded to a balcony. I really think it depends on the rooms that they have available.

Prior to the sale I called about upgrading to a balcony from my original booking of OV. I wan quoted about $1600 extra for that balcony at that time.

Could also be luck of the draw. My sales person was really helpful but it did take about 3.5 hours on the phone to get the deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am having trouble finding a good price for 3 people. Does anyone know a site where you can enter 3 people and it shows you a list with all the total price for the cabin ? Right now, I have to select a sailing first before I can enter 3 people and it shows me the cabin price.

I am looking for a cruise in July but whenever I see a price for 899 pp, it will go up to 1599 pp if I enter 3 people. I understand the demand and supply theory and I am aware that this is just a marketing strategy from RCCL but for me it is very difficult to search for cruises as the 2 person sharing price differs so much with the 3 person sharing price.

Anyone knows a site or a tip/trick how I can search more easily for 3 people's price ? TIA for any tips !

The price goes up depending on what's available and the stateroom. Plus they added the 3rd/4th fuel fees/port fees/taxes into the price.

Maybe call a travel agent?? That's what we did......

You can try a dummy booking just to get an idea on pricing for three people for the cruise you would like to go on.

I am having trouble finding a good price for 3 people. Does anyone know a site where you can enter 3 people and it shows you a list with all the total price for the cabin ? Right now, I have to select a sailing first before I can enter 3 people and it shows me the cabin price.

I am looking for a cruise in July but whenever I see a price for 899 pp, it will go up to 1599 pp if I enter 3 people. I understand the demand and supply theory and I am aware that this is just a marketing strategy from RCCL but for me it is very difficult to search for cruises as the 2 person sharing price differs so much with the 3 person sharing price.

Anyone knows a site or a tip/trick how I can search more easily for 3 people's price ? TIA for any tips !

Are you checking off for another discount like res, senior, mil/police? That's what happens to us if we do. Looks like the kids sail free can't be combined. If we check off any of those with 2 people, the discounted price comes up. If we add a 3rd person, we get the regular cabin price with the 3rd person free.

Are you checking off for another discount like res, senior, mil/police? That's what happens to us if we do. Looks like the kids sail free can't be combined. If we check off any of those with 2 people, the discounted price comes up. If we add a 3rd person, we get the regular cabin price with the 3rd person free.

No, not checking those boxes. I can get a quote for 3 if I enter for 3 people but then I have to do it cruise by cruise. I was just wondering whether there is some site that allows you to enter the number of people and then it will shows you a list of available cruises (e.g. for the whole month of July) with the correct total amount for the 3 people in the cabin. The same what you would get if you do a normal search where the site will assume you are a party of 2.

I do not have a specific date or ship or itinerary in mind and I am just trying to find out a good deal for 3 people. I know I can get the details if I select s specific cruise and then enter for 3 people but that takes lots of time.

I know I can ask a TA to do this for me but I have yet to find a TA that is responsive enough for me and I like to be in control of the booking myself so much prefer to book directly.

I guess I am asking for something that does not exist !

Edited by Tinkerbell8
spelling

No, not checking those boxes. I can get a quote for 3 if I enter for 3 people but then I have to do it cruise by cruise. I was just wondering whether there is some site that allows you to enter the number of people and then it will shows you a list of available cruises (e.g. for the whole month of July) with the correct total amount for the 3 people in the cabin. The same what you would get if you do a normal search where the site will assume you are a party of 2.

I do not have a specific date or ship or itinerary in mind and I am just trying to find out a good deal for 3 people. I know I can get the details if I select s specific cruise and then enter for 3 people but that takes lots of time.

I know I can ask a TA to do this for me but I have yet to find a TA that is responsive enough for me and I like to be in control of the booking myself so much prefer to book directly.

I guess I am asking for something that does not exist !

You can do this on NCL (also having a kids sail free promo) but I don't believe you can on RCI.

EDIT - NCL gives an average price per person. So it may appear as though the kids are not free but they are.

Edited by FB

You are way late to book a high season cruise so close to sailing and get a deal. Whatever sales that were good have been booked.

You can do this on NCL (also having a kids sail free promo) but I don't believe you can on RCI.

EDIT - NCL gives an average price per person. So it may appear as though the kids are not free but they are.

Yes, I found out that you have this search function with NCL and DCL. Though not really needed for these 2 cruiselines because their 2 person sharing price is very accurate so I can easily know the price for 3 sharing even I search for 2 sharing. They don't bump up the price when booking for 3.

It's only with RCCL where I feel the frustration because the 2 sharing price differs so much with the 3 person sharing price. Hence I was looking for the easy search functon but I guess RCCL just doesn't want to make this easy for you otherwise you will not be enticed to book this so-called 3rd person free promo.

Anyway, I have already given up with RCCL and I know (as another poster suggested) that I am just too late for any good deal for this summer. No problem, it's not really a big deal, just thought I could try RCCL if there is any good deals out there. I realize the summer prices are easily more than double so I will have to forget about it for the time being !

Thanks anyway for all the comments !

Easy answer for the people complaining. Most of prices went up for simple fact the category is almost full and they want to fill up other categories. You were either late or procrastinating because a lot of people/agents knew about the promotion already at least a week before it was official. I believed you had window of anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days to get the absolute best price before categories start getting filled and prices getting jacked up.

Mine for instance I check everyday this month and after 5 days of promotion interior, outside and balcony went up anywhere from 150$ to 300$.

Now this week Junior suite has gone down 200$ I wonder why................

PS I don't care about your phone queue time. I waited 1.5 hour and saved 1 grand for my family cruise. Reminds me of black friday except I am in the comfort of my home.

Anyway, I have already given up with RCCL and I know (as another poster suggested) that I am just too late for any good deal for this summer. No problem, it's not really a big deal, just thought I could try RCCL if there is any good deals out there. I realize the summer prices are easily more than double so I will have to forget about it for the time being !

Are you in driving distance to a port? If so, you may want to wait a bit until after final payments are being made. Even though summer prices are high now, you can still get lucky on a cruise in the slower time periods. Early to mid June, and mid to late August, you may see some last minute pricing that is a decent deal. Also I have found that the last week in July is typically less expensive than the first 3 weeks for some reason.

So keep checking. Even though you aren't finding good prices with kids sail free, there will be other deals coming up. They have to fill up their ships. If you are not picky about category or location you should be able to find something at a price you like if you just keep looking.