Ukraine crisis: Thinking of canceling Baltic cruise?

ohmark

Nearing the end of the no-penalty cancelation period for a Baltic cruise this late summer. In view of the current crisis with the Ukraine and Crimea, and the theoretical possibility that it could spread to certain Baltic countries, we are seriously thinking of canceling before any cancelation penalty applies to our reservation. Anybody else thinking of doing this?

I think these are two fundamentally different circumstances, and I wouldn't even consider cancelling a Baltic cruise. Heck we are still booked on our Black Sea cruise.

First of all, the Crimea is populated by a Russian majority. None of the Baltic states have that situation.

The baltics are in better shape financially than the Ukraine is.

I believe all of them are full EU members and full NATO members.

They were the first Soviet states to break away and the first to gain recognition of independence from the world. They are fiercely independent, and have deep seated resentment of Russia for past aggression and oppression.

The Crimea has many Russian Military installations, the same can not be said of the Baltic states.

Russia will have it's hands full dealing with the Crimean situation for many months, before they can turn their gaze elsewhere. Of course I am sure the citizens in the Baltic states are concerned that Putin may have designs on them as well.

Edited by dmacp

Dmacp is correct. I would still go to the Baltic - it's a great area to visit. There has been some talk on the boards about spending money in St Petersburg but that's a different argument.

Enjoy - it'll be a good trip.

Keep your trip to the Baltic....it's a wonderful cruise and Scandinavia is beautiful and memorable.

I wouldn't get off the ship in St. Petersburg however....wouldn't step foot in Russia (my personal view). I wish they would cancel all the Russian ports.

There has been some talk on the boards about spending money in St Petersburg but that's a different argument.

I have mixed feeling about this. When my wife and I travel, we get to interact with people, guides, and such. We enjoy learning from them, their perspectives on things (even when we disagree with them, or know them to be at odds with facts) and I hope that they also get the same from us. We read enough about the countries and things we are visiting to know some of the history and culture, and not show we are the stereotypical ignorant/arrogant Americans. Along the way we realize that our perceptions of these people may not be what we thought. Hopefully they get the same experiences we do.

If we stop interacting with others through embargoes and boycotts and such, we probably only enhance the negative impressions the people in those countries have. These small individual actions won't hurt Putin or the elite oligarchy, but it will hurt the tour guides, shop and restaurant owners and average people trying to make a living.

Nearing the end of the no-penalty cancelation period for a Baltic cruise this late summer. In view of the current crisis with the Ukraine and Crimea, and the theoretical possibility that it could spread to certain Baltic countries, we are seriously thinking of canceling before any cancelation penalty applies to our reservation. Anybody else thinking of doing this?

No - just made the final for our cruise in June.

I would not cancel the Baltics.

And I WOULD definitely go to St. Petersburg for the same reason people travel to Cuba, North Vietnam or other parts of the world where the politics are not to their liking. It's an education.

Do not cancel. We cruised the Baltic area a couple years ago. It was among the safest and most serene areas of Europe that we've travelled to. Scandinavia in general is an economically well off area, with high standard of living and beautiful scenery, interesting and easy to visit cities. Eastern European cruise ports are less well off but you will be very welcome and safe.

We booked a private guide for our 3 days in St. Petersburg. That allowed us to see our top sights with an expert guide and driver, and with tourist visas arranged by the tour guide. We got off the ship, took our tour voucher with visa through Russian immigration every morning and evening. Met our guide at the dock, could not be easier. St. Petersburg is a HUGE city and sights like Peterhof are way beyond the city. Hiring a guide service makes your whole visit much easier. The guide helped us exchange some money, found restrooms, handled lunches, transportation and entrances to the attractions. Well worth the $ 1,600 we paid for two of us for 3 full days of touring. Compare the cost to half day ship excursions and you will see the value.

I'm glad we visited St. Petersburg, it is an exceptional city with exceptional sights.

Thanks for the replies.

And, of course, we would not have deposited for the Baltic cruise if seeing this wonderful area of the world was not of significant interest to us. And, I don't mind a degree of adventure (having, in younger days, driven through Czechoslovakia and East Germany during the height of the cold war.)

However, one of our concerns is the possibility of an intensified crisis which could cause cancellation of St Petersburg, but not the rest of the itinerary. (Say, for example, if the U.S. and Russia exchange in continuing tit for tat sanctions.) We could be left with a Baltic cruise without St Petersburg. If I act within the next week or so, I could avoid all cancellation fees, take an alternative cruise, and then cruise the Baltic when the "waters" are calmer. Hate these kind of decisions.

I would think the only thing that would cause cancellation of a port of call is some concern of safety or weather, which I don't think is really an issue any more than any other port. I don't think there is anything the US govt can do to force this to happen, and so far the Russian's attitude towards US actions is "whatever".

Thanks for the replies.

And, of course, we would not have deposited for the Baltic cruise if seeing this wonderful area of the world was not of significant interest to us. And, I don't mind a degree of adventure (having, in younger days, driven through Czechoslovakia and East Germany during the height of the cold war.)

However, one of our concerns is the possibility of an intensified crisis which could cause cancellation of St Petersburg, but not the rest of the itinerary. (Say, for example, if the U.S. and Russia exchange in continuing tit for tat sanctions.) We could be left with a Baltic cruise without St Petersburg. If I act within the next week or so, I could avoid all cancellation fees, take an alternative cruise, and then cruise the Baltic when the "waters" are calmer. Hate these kind of decisions.

Oceania is NOT registered in the US so I am not sure that would be an issue.

You're not alone. Our group was booked in two OC suites on the August 14th Marina sailing and canceled ours this week. There were several factors which contributed to our decision: we were concerned about anti-American sentiment in Russia, we booked mainly to visit St. Petersburg and didn't like the possibility of missing the port on a short 7 night itinerary, and we didn't want to spend money in a country (Russia) which is hostile to the US.

I'm lucky because my husband and I visited St. Petersburg on our honeymoon cruise in 1994. They were so excited to meet Americans and it is a truly beautiful city. This was our 20th anniversary cruise. My almost 18 year old son and my parents were going to join us on this trip. They have not seen St. Petersburg and although they are disappointed about missing it, they agreed that worrying about political unrest wasn't their idea of a vacation. We booked an Alaskan cruise instead. We've been there, but are happy to go back. None of us have any regrets about canceling our Baltic Trip.

Edited by cruisewmn

which it sounds like it is, I d say cancel and rebook at a later date when things are more calm.

There might be a possibility of future travel sanctions for Russia,and the port might be switched.

It depends on what YOU feel comfortable with,not on others,it seems.

Some refuse to spend their time or money on anything Russian right now.As above posters have expressed.

What a shame so many people in so many countries have been affected negatively,some MORE SO than others.:(

People just chill a little....

From what I've learned on the port boards - Oceania is to make an announcement on the website regarding Baltics and I would guess Black Sea's - which to me would seem more an issue.

There are many fine ports in the area, if for some remote reason group visas become an issue in St. Petersburg. Trust the cruise line - they'll make sure you have a great cruise.

As to anti-American sentiment in Russia - well the Russian's have never been a warm and fuzzy group. And, as to Baltic ports in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Poland - you'll probably get so warm a welcome you'd remember it for the rest of you life.

People just chill a little....

From what I've learned on the port boards - Oceania is to make an announcement on the website regarding Baltics and I would guess Black Sea's - which to me would seem more an issue.

There are many fine ports in the area, if for some remote reason group visas become an issue in St. Petersburg. Trust the cruise line - they'll make sure you have a great cruise.

As to anti-American sentiment in Russia - well the Russian's have never been a warm and fuzzy group. And, as to Baltic ports in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Poland - you'll probably get so warm a welcome you'd remember it for the rest of you life.

It's not the Russian PEOPLE. It's the Russian GOVERNMENT.

Unless the Marshall Islands are at odds with Russia, I see no reason for O not to go to St. Petersburg.

Having just received a very sad email from my incredible (and quite famous) guide in Crimea, I am guessing that the Black Sea cruises will be affected. Things are far worse there than have been reported. He is so frightened of repercussions that he has deleted his Facebook page and deletes every email after he sends it. He is afraid to speak Ukrainian. Priests are being kidnapped. I could go on.

That said,

The Baltics without St. Petersburg makes no sense.

Nor does Black Sea without Yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa.

If either itinerary cancelled those ports, I would cancel.

It's not the Russian PEOPLE. It's the Russian GOVERNMENT.

That said,

The Baltics without St. Petersburg makes no sense.

Nor does Black Sea without Yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa.

If either itinerary cancelled those ports, I would cancel.

The point is that a nuclear war on visas is not even on the table. Right now it's what - 15 Russian Oligarchs being on the non visa list and some of our talking heads in Washington on their side. So people talking about St. Petersburg being cancelled due to visa issues are really overreacting.

But, this overreaction is causing the cruise companies to start thinking about itineraries in the Baltic. Just like Egypt Holy land cruises two years ago. (hello - you felt safe a few weeks ago). It's like a "Baltic cruise" stock panic - everyone rushing to sell at the same time - crazy stuff. As with stocks that's when stupid moves are made.

Some well traveled Oceania cruisers might be content with a non St. Petersburg cruise if some nuclear disaster visa scenario happens. Others not. Let's just see what happens.

Agree - Black Seas have more of an issue.

Edited by buggins0402

The point is that a nuclear war on visas is not even on the table. Right now it's what - 15 Russian Oligarchs being on the non visa list and some of our talking heads in Washington on their side. So people talking about St. Petersburg being cancelled due to visa issues are really overreacting.

But, this overreaction is causing the cruise companies to start thinking about itineraries in the Baltic. Just like Egypt Holy land cruises two years ago. (hello - you felt safe a few weeks ago). It's like a "Baltic cruise" stock panic - everyone rushing to sell at the same time - crazy stuff. As with stocks that's when stupid moves are made.

Some well traveled Oceania cruisers might be content with a non St. Petersburg cruise if some nuclear disaster visa scenario happens. Others not. Let's just see what happens.

Agree - Black Seas have more of an issue.

It appears that the the Russian Government has created quite a public relations fiasco for itself over this "crazy stuff", and if they continue to meet every challenge with belligerence and violence, I cannot see how this will have any kind of a good end.

Those new age Cossacks whipping and beating that group of young female singing Protesters is positively sickening.

fyi, rcvd today from a reliable TA:

Oceania has revised their Black Sea itineraries for summer 2014 and substituting ports in Romania, Georgia and Turkey for those in the Ukraine and Russia.

Hi Wes!

The Azamara Black Sea itinerary included Amasra(we went to Safranbolu) and Trabzon (both in Turkey) and both ports were terrific. We also went to Batumi, Georgia -- very pretty town.

But Sochi, Yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa were the highlights of that cruise.

I cannot imagine what port in Romania they would choose (the good stuff is all in land anyway -- we spent two weeks in Romania in 2008 -- amazing place).

Curious to see the revised itinerary.

It appears that the the Russian Government has created quite a public relations fiasco for itself over this "crazy stuff", and if they continue to meet every challenge with belligerence and violence, I cannot see how this will have any kind of a good end.

Those new age Cossacks whipping and beating that group of young female singing Protesters is positively sickening.

Agree - and it's hurting the cruise companies, because there are cruisers that don't want to separate the political from the travel. Some will...some won't. Everyone is free to choose.

Hope no offence taken - but my "crazy stuff" was in reference that some other Baltic ports might be in jeopardy of a Ukraine type invasion and that anti-American sentiments might be felt by those touring St. Petersburg.

I know from the port board that Oceania is listening to all voices and will address the matter in short order ...and just trying to say to cruisers - trust them to come up with some solutions before running off and cancelling.

It already appears that the Black Sea has been determined (per previous posts). Good for Oceania ...they are the first line to make a decision.

This Riviera cruise already shows port changes on the Black Sea:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/easternmediterranean/rva140719/default.aspx

Overnighting in Constanta? LOL Worst port I have ever been to. Others will agree. Nothing there and rather dangerous. Lots of folks were scammed there and had passports taken.

The only upside is that they can take folks to Bucharest --for a day. It is not close but doable. I spent a week in Bucharest. It deserves more than day.

Batumi is lovely and Trabzon is fabulous if you go to the Sumela Monastery.

Personally, i would wait for 2015 and hope to see the Ukraine and Crimea.

Edited by pacheco18

This Riviera cruise already shows port changes on the Black Sea:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/easternmediterranean/rva140719/default.aspx

But this Insignia cruise is sooner and still has Crimean ports (as I write, anyway):

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/easternmediterranean/ins140529/default.aspx

There are also two September cruises that have not changed ... yet.

Wonder if Insignia will be redeployed or not deployed at all? It fits with the cryptic changes mentioned on the Baltic port board.

Oceania now announcing for Baltic cruises "free unlimited shore excursions" in St Petersburg. Wonder if O will allow retroactive application?

Wow - wonder same thing.....

Now that's thinking outside the box!

.....Just checked - starts with 7/1 on Marina - oh well, I lose.

Did I see correctly - was it just Marina sailings that this offer was given?

Edited by buggins0402