Ukraine crisis: Thinking of canceling Baltic cruise?

ohmark

Wow - wonder same thing.....

Now that's thinking outside the box!

NOT a great offer. Trekking around the Hermitage or other venues there with a busload of cruisers is unthinkable to me. St Petersburg requires small group touring.

Overnighting in Constanta? LOL Worst port I have ever been to. Others will agree. Nothing there and rather dangerous. Lots of folks were scammed there and had passports taken.

The only upside is that they can take folks to Bucharest --for a day. It is not close but doable. I spent a week in Bucharest. It deserves more than day.

Batumi is lovely and Trabzon is fabulous if you go to the Sumela Monastery.

Personally, i would wait for 2015 and hope to see the Ukraine and Crimea.

Entirely agree about Constanta. Have cancelled our July Black Sea Cruise today. If I waited until tomorrow I would have had to pay a cancellation fee!

NOT a great offer. Trekking around the Hermitage or other venues there with a busload of cruisers is unthinkable to me. St Petersburg requires small group touring.

Yes, on second thought you are right. Already dreading the fact that we have to go with a tour period - even the small one we have scheduled.

But, it might help fill the ships for those that don't mind.

Entirely agree about Constanta. Have cancelled our July Black Sea Cruise today. If I waited until tomorrow I would have had to pay a cancellation fee!

In a situation like this, where the critical ports are cancelled due to world events, it is possible the cancellation fee would be waived. But I imagine they posted the changes in time for folks to avoid the fee.

Yes, on second thought you are right. Already dreading the fact that we have to go with a tour period - even the small one we have scheduled.

But, it might help fill the ships for those that don't mind.

If you are with SPB or one of the other major tour companies there is nothing to "dread." They do a fabulous job and you would have no idea what you were seeing without a guide. The small tour enhances your experience in St. Petersburg, rather than detract from it.

Edited by pacheco18

IF something bad happens in SPB then the ships will not go there

It may be a good move on O's part to stop the mass exodus from the sailings

If I could convince DH to go away this summer I would book one of the cruises

I wanted to go back to SPB anyway;)

It is really comes down to your personal choice whether to go or not just like some who go to other countries that might be in turmoil

I agree that O is probably trying to stop the hemorrhaging on the Baltic cruises by offering free tours in St. Petersburg. That will appeal to some. Private tours there are not cheap. However, most savvy travelers will not want to go with a large group in that city.

As for the Black Sea, I think the cruise lines are going to see lots of cancellations with the Ukraine, Crimea and Sochi eliminated. Those ports just cannot be substituted IMO. I am SO glad we went in 2013. You never know.

Personally, having just returned from 3 fabulous weeks in Egypt, I would not be afraid to go to Crimea or the Ukraine on a cruise -- but no cruise line will risk it. I know several cruisers who were looking forward to the Black Sea -- I gave them all my private guide info -- and I am sure they are disappointed and conflicted about what to do.

Of course, there are worse problems. Stuff happens when you travel. We cancelled a trip to Egypt for January 2012 -- but we finally made it.

Edited by pacheco18

In a situation like this, where the critical ports are cancelled due to world events, it is possible the cancellation fee would be waived. But I imagine they posted the changes in time for folks to avoid the fee.

At THIS TIME cancellation policies stay the same..

Jancruz1

Just for comparison purposes

Here is how Azamara changed the first of its Black Sea cruises

Day 1- Thu, 12-Jun-14, Istanbul, Turkey, Embark, Overnight

Day 2 - Fri, 13-Jun-14, NEW - Istanbul, Turkey, Scenic night time passage of Bosporus, Depart 10 pm

Day 3 - Sat, 14-Jun-14, Nessebar, Bulgaria, Arrive 9 am, Depart 8 pm

Day 4 - Sun, 15-Jun-14, Constanta (Bucharest), Romania, Arrive 7 am, Depart 6 pm

Day 5 - Mon, 16-Jun-14, NEW – Bartin (Amazra/Safranbolu), Turkey, Arrive 9:30 am, Depart 7 pm

Day 6 - Tue, 17-Jun-14, Cruising: Scenic day-time passage of Bosporus passing Golden Horn / Istanbul

Day 7 - Wed, 18-Jun-14, NEW Volos (Meteora), Greece, Arrive 9 am, Depart 9 pm

Day 8 - Thu, 19-Jun-14, Skiathos, Greece, Arrive 8 am, Depart 5 pm

Day 9 - Fri, 20-Jun-14, NEW Nafplion (Mycenae), Greece, Arrive 9 am, Depart 8 pm

Day 10 - Sat, 21-Jun-14, Piraeus (Athens), Greece, Arrive 6 am, Debark

IMO -- better itinerary

Laraine, was the Azamara cruise scheduled to hit the Crimea prior to their revision?

Yes

Here is the original itinerary

THU 12-JUN ISTANBUL, TURKEY Embark 10:00 pm

FRI 13-JUN NESSEBAR, BULGARIA Tendered 9:00 am 8:00 pm

SAT 14-JUN CONSTANTA (BUCHAREST), ROMANIA Docked 7:00 am 7:00 pm

SUN 15-JUN ODESSA, UKRAINE Docked 8:30 am 10:30 pm

MON 16-JUN SEVASTOPOL, UKRAINE Docked 11:30 am 10:00 pm

TUE 17-JUN YALTA, UKRAINE Docked 8:00 am 7:00 pm

WED 18-JUN BOSPHORUS STRAIT (CRUISING) Cruising 4:00 pm 6:00 pm

THU 19-JUN MOUNT ATHOS - GREECE(CRUISING) Cruising 9:00 am 12:00 pm

THU 19-JUN SKIATHOS, GREECE Tendered 5:00 pm

FRI 20-JUN SKIATHOS, GREECE Tendered 4:00 pm

SAT 21-JUN PIRAEUS (ATHENS), GREECE Debark 6:00 am

Basically they have changed it to a Greek island and Turkey cruise with Constanta and Nessubur thrown in. Big whoop! If I wanted that kind of cruise there are much better options. This sailing will soon be a sale!

I find it interesting that the new Oceania and Regent itineraries have also dropped Odessa, even though it's not even close to Crimea.

I think they are just avoiding the Ukraine. Period.

Really bad news for the cruise lines since the Black Sea cruises sell out and prices go up.

The region is not the same as the Arab states...with people killing each other on a what seems like an hourly basis.

This is other than the Political situation much safer and a horse of a different color

As Obama himself said " never let a disaster go to waste". While it is not a disaster some think it is........exploit it

Cruise lines are seeing poor bookings...giving all sorts of free stuff away to entice you.

If you ever remotely wanted to go to this region this is an opportunity of a life time.... Nothing is going to happen that will effect tourists in the region.

This is a golden ticket on a silver plate.... when the rhetoric is flying hot and heavy on CNN..... start watching to prices and benefits rise......$$$$

The region is not the same as the Arab states...with people killing each other on a what seems like an hourly basis.

This is other than the Political situation much safer and a horse of a different color

As Obama himself said " never let a disaster go to waste". While it is not a disaster some think it is........exploit it

Cruise lines are seeing poor bookings...giving all sorts of free stuff away to entice you.

If you ever remotely wanted to go to this region this is an opportunity of a life time.... Nothing is going to happen that will effect tourists in the region.

This is a golden ticket on a silver plate.... when the rhetoric is flying hot and heavy on CNN..... start watching to prices and benefits rise......$$$$

You can ride your horse, I would rein mine in as far as Black Sea. I see no reason to be on a cruise that won't do the ports I had anticipated and I would be incredibly disappointed if my Baltic cruise cancelled SPB especially if one really booked this tour to do this.

However having done SPB on a prior Baltic I am interested in the offerings. We were first lured to O during the downturn in 2007/8 when we did a TA for an incredible price. We won't ever see that price again but it brought us to O and we have not looked elsewhere for the wonderful experience it provided us.

Unfortunately, the world is a volatile place. I am just thankful I have seen what I have and will continue to venture out but will not place myself in a volatile situation that is unknown right now. Yes I would do the Holy Land, that situation has been volatile since the get go...I just don't trust the current situation in Russia

I find it interesting that the new Oceania and Regent itineraries have also dropped Odessa, even though it's not even close to Crimea.
I suppose "not even close" is in the eye of the beholder. To get to the Gulf of Odessa you have to go within about 100 miles of the Crimea and Sevastopol (the largest naval base for the Russians, and still the location of the remnants of the Ukrainian Navy). Traditional marine routes into Odessa would actually be much closer than 100 miles to the Crimea. IMO within 100 miles of a possible war zone does not qualify for "not even close".

We did the Black Sea itinerary in August 2012 on Regatta and loved it. Two of our favorite ports were Sevastopol and Yalta.

But I wouldn't go there today. We also really enjoyed Odessa and my feeling was that it deserved a lot more time than only one port day. (My last name of Kievman has nothing to do with this, of course.)

I also wouldn't go to the Baltic today, but not out of fear. We just don't choose to send our $$$ to Russia in the current climate. There are plenty of other places to visit.

I'm not sure if Laraine commented that Constanta was the worst port ever visited. I wouldn't say that ... I'd give that honor to a port we visited in Costa Rica about 10 years ago.

But would I want to overnight there? Nope. Still, if it would give us the option (I think) to go to Bucharest on the first morning, spend the night there and return to Constanta in time to leave the next day, we'd consider it. But Constant itself -- while we did see a few interesting sights there with our guide -- is not worth that much time. And unfortunately, the revised itinerary that overnights in Constanta wouldn't interest us anyway.

For the record, in Constanta we had a tour out of town that took us to an archeological site about 90 minutes drive away, then went to a vineyard (like we needed yet another vineyard). When we returned to Costanta our wonderful guide took us to a small museum where they had excavated some Roman tiles, then to a couple of nice art museums, and lastly an interesting church.

So there are things to see there, and we never felt threatened ...

But as I said, I wouldn't want to overnight there on a cruise. I'd much rather overnight in Nessebur which is a small beach town. And we aren't beach people.

Mura

I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens with respect to the Baltic cruises. Apparently many of you are philosophically opposed to visiting SPB (I can respect that view). Others, like myself, would not be influenced by the politics. I have no idea which view is the majority view but if the "political" view prevails, the cruise lines are in for a rough time. I have a feeling O recognizes this -- thus the included tours offer. OF course, that would not sway anyone who did not want "to give a dime to the regime."

I'm watching, waiting and hoping to pounce on the bargain if prices start to drop in order to retain passengers. Come on, Frank and Kumal…save me some money. I'll go!

The concern of many folks who have booked (but are still able to cancel w/o penalty) is not so much politics, but whether and how many ports may be dropped before embarkation. Maybe the confident folks who posted in this thread to the effect that there's not a chance SP or other ports on the cruise could be dropped are right. Or maybe the articles in various publications to the effect that Putin already has his eyes on former Soviet possessions in the Baltic (which are ports on the cruise) are fair predictors of more trouble ahead. If that's the case and SP is dropped, then free SP excursions, whether desirable or not, will also vanish, as could other scheduled Baltic ports. I agree that this probably won't happen, but it might.

I agree that O is doing its best to make the scheduled Baltic cruises more desirable with the various offers and promos (which I understand they are extending, upon request, to those already booked). But, a Baltic cruise w/o St Petersburg and/or the other threatened countries would be far less attractive to us--even with O's generous offers. Assurances in this thread as to how wonderful it is to cruise to SP and these countries are irrelevant if the cruise ends up skipping those ports. And nobody can assure with any certitude that events won't cause some or all of these ports to be dropped. I hate these decisions.

I think the real problem is if the US through the state dept. starts to boycott countries. Oceania is a US company and will not be able to go regardless of what they want to do. A vacation is to relax, not to worry if the ship will go to the place you want. The way this tit for tat game is going between the US and Russia I would not want my ship to be tied up in a Russian port if I were a US company. Supporting the Russian people is a very noble cause however I would do it by sending money to a relief group for that purpose, not by booking a cruise through Oceania.

Edited by hypercafe

Visa and Mastercard has cut off at least seven (7) russian banks. If you were planning on booking through SPB tours, or some of the other local tour companies, things may have just gotten more difficult. Oceania may be the only game in town for tours in ST. Pete, if they still go.