Ukraine crisis: Thinking of canceling Baltic cruise?

ohmark

I just checked various itineraries ... Riviera in July also has substituted Trabzon, no Yalta or Sebastopol. But Insignia's May cruise to the Black Sea still shows these ports. Perhaps too late to change? These itineraries show tons of space ...

My husband wanted to know if there will still be tours to the submarine base in Sebastopol. Somehow I doubt it!

Mura

I wouldn't do the Black Sea this season but have to say that Trabzon doesn't hold a candle to Yalta.

Mura

Did you go to the Sumela Monastery in Trabzon? -- fabulous IMO

Trabzon is a good port -- but Yalta is not to be missed.

So sad that things are turning out this way for those booked for the Black Sea.

I do not think this is the year to go.

Things could settle down in a year.

Actually, Laraine, we did not. All we did there was go to the Aya Sophia Mosque (which WAS interesting, although small). We had been to Volos (Greece) the previous fall and I wasn't up for another steep climb, and if I recall the descriptions, with crumbling steps. I knew my knees wouldn't take it.

We had absolutely fabulous private tours in Yalta and Sebastopol and I sympathize with those who won't be able to visit there these days.

The Wall Street Journal this weekend has an article on how Yalta is concerned that tourism is going to take a hit given the current situation. Apparently there is a new wax museum there (I'm not sure if it's already open or about to open because I didn't really read the article, not yet) and they are wondering who will go visit it.

Mura

Actually, Laraine, we did not. All we did there was go to the Aya Sophia Mosque (which WAS interesting, although small). We had been to Volos (Greece) the previous fall and I wasn't up for another steep climb, and if I recall the descriptions, with crumbling steps. I knew my knees wouldn't take it.

We had absolutely fabulous private tours in Yalta and Sebastopol and I sympathize with those who won't be able to visit there these days.

The Wall Street Journal this weekend has an article on how Yalta is concerned that tourism is going to take a hit given the current situation. Apparently there is a new wax museum there (I'm not sure if it's already open or about to open because I didn't really read the article, not yet) and they are wondering who will go visit it.

Mura

One of the steepest and most difficult climbs I have ever done but worth it. It is truly an amazing thing to see. But I would still choose Yalta because of the history.

I can't and won't argue. Between the sights and our fabulous guides in Yalta and Sebastopol (the same company but different guides) they remain our favorites on that cruise. (Although I really liked Odessa as well, and would like to spend more time there ... SOME day.)

Since my last name is Kievman I do have an affinity for that area, even though I don't know exactly where my grandparents lived. I'm sure it wasn't in Kiev itself, probably a nearby ghetto. But my grandfather liked to say that they named the city after HIM. Not very likely!

Mura

I can't and won't argue. Between the sights and our fabulous guides in Yalta and Sebastopol (the same company but different guides) they remain our favorites on that cruise. (Although I really liked Odessa as well, and would like to spend more time there ... SOME day.)

Since my last name is Kievman I do have an affinity for that area, even though I don't know exactly where my grandparents lived. I'm sure it wasn't in Kiev itself, probably a nearby ghetto. But my grandfather liked to say that they named the city after HIM. Not very likely!

Mura

We loved Odessa. We ran up and down the Potemkin steps a few times. Surely won't be long before I can't do that! I also loved how they have refurbished the old buildings and painted them beautiful colors. There was an incredible chocolate store there.

It is such a lovely part of the world.

Any ideas as to why Oceania has cancelled the Crimean ports for all but the cruise sailing at the end of May? Seems counterintuitive.

There's still time

Maybe they are having a harder time finding alternative ports.

I cannot believe they will go to Crimea in May.

I cannot believe they will go to Crimea in May.

Me neither, which is why I find it so strange that there will be such short notice for the passengers to make alternate plans.

Edited by CintiPam

Any ideas as to why Oceania has cancelled the Crimean ports for all but the cruise sailing at the end of May? Seems counterintuitive.

Perhaps they hope things will settle down.

The later cruises were probably being impacted with cancellations and few new bookings because of the uncertainty. May cruise was well past final payment when things started happening. Ship is full - so they can hope to do original.

We had a similar situation a few years ago with an NCL Holy Lands cruise. After we went past final payment, Egypt started having weekly demonstrations. Later cruises had a ton of cancellations and difficulty refilling. So they changed the itinerary - to a Western Med:eek: in order to fill the ship. We were the last cruise to sail the original itinerary. No issues in Egypt. Israel had a bit of a rocket problem though (we still ported, but ships that were to come in a day later diverted).

We did a 10 day N. Europe on Marina last summer. It was fantastic. We spent 3 days in Russia, and did 1 day in SPB then took (a very early) train to Moscow, and then took (a very late and weird) Aeroflat flight back to SPB, then another (very early) morning. I'm glad we saw those cities. And we saw them in depth. That said, I would not go back. It is a cold place, and very over the top. Riding the Moscow subway was very weird (and I grew up in Boston and NYC so I can do mass transit). Hard to put a thumb on it, but it's just... weird. Beyond beautiful though. The other ports (stockholm, Helsinki, Estonia, Berlin, Copenhagen, etc.) were amazing in all respects. Fell in love with Stockholm to be honest (we spent 5 days pre-cruise) there. My advice is go - it can't get any weirder in Russia, and stay very close to your guide.

Tomorrow's our Final Payment Date for a group of six on the July 1st Baltic. We cancelled. Oceania's just bending over backwards right now trying to keep their bookings with OBC's, free excursions, free internet, etc. I feel sorry for them. One of our TA's mentioned that he had 8 Baltic cancellations in the past week. (Not sure if they were O or others.)

Despite Oceania sweetening the pot, we just feel that this is the wrong year for a Russia visit. Maybe '15 or '16. For those that do go--I hope it works out and you all have a wonderful time. I would guess that there will be some very generous upsell offers and excess opportunities for specialty restaurant reservations.

Tomorrow's our Final Payment Date for a group of six on the July 1st Baltic. We cancelled. Oceania's just bending over backwards right now trying to keep their bookings with OBC's, free excursions, free internet, etc. I feel sorry for them. One of our TA's mentioned that he had 8 Baltic cancellations in the past week. (Not sure if they were O or others.)

Despite Oceania sweetening the pot, we just feel that this is the wrong year for a Russia visit. Maybe '15 or '16. For those that do go--I hope it works out and you all have a wonderful time. I would guess that there will be some very generous upsell offers and excess opportunities for specialty restaurant reservations.

You are probably right. There are many other places to choose from. I think all the cruise lines are going to have a very hard time filling ships with Baltic itineraries.

The only caveat to this is that nobody can guarantee you what will happen in 2015 or 2016- neither as far as political situation nor your personal life/health. We tend to take things for granted but should not (believe me).

So it all depends on how badly you want to see SPB. Some might say this is the best time to see it b/o all the incentives Oceania offers. :)

Good luck.

The only valuable incentive O is offering for SPB is free excursions which are the wrong way to see that city imo so it's worthless. The only way to visit SPB is with a private guide and driver. Who wants to spend half the day driving back and forth from the pier just to catch the next tour?

The only valuable incentive O is offering for SPB is free excursions which are the wrong way to see that city imo so it's worthless. The only way to visit SPB is with a private guide and driver. Who wants to spend half the day driving back and forth from the pier just to catch the next tour?

with 40 other people.

I totally agree.

The incentive is a disincentive IMO

There are many other places to choose from. I think all the cruise lines are going to have a very hard time filling ships with Baltic itineraries.

Our decision also.

I thought SOB mentioned that they are offering OBC (how much?), free internet (in addition to free excursions).

With many likely cancellations they might offer better upgrades/upsells and maybe even more incentives for people not to cancel.

However, I do agree that private tours in SPB is the way to go.

I have to tell you that on our Baltic this last summer, we had some fabulous tours with O. One in particular was in SPB at the Hermitage. I had been there a couple of years before and did the Hermitage with crowds of people (with my Mother on Silver Seas).

Well, Oceania had the most fabulous tour of all--a private tour in the evening after the Hermitage had closed. We had a fabulous tour followed by a symphony in the gallery followed by champagne. FABULOUS. Hats off to Oceania.

I have told many of this tour, and they have never been offered such a wonderful experience. If it is available to you, don't miss it.

I thought SOB mentioned that they are offering OBC (how much?), free internet (in addition to free excursions).

With many likely cancellations they might offer better upgrades/upsells and maybe even more incentives for people not to cancel.

The OBC from Oceania is $300 per cabin. And besides the free internet and excursions, they are also giving free gratuities. As long as the political situation doesn't worsen and there are no restrictions placed on the port of St Petersburg, those intrepid travelers that stick with the cruise will likely enjoy a wonderful vacation with bargain-basement upsells to higher category accommodations and specialty restaurants available every night, if desired.

I wish that our group of three couples had the confidence to stick with the original plan and that it will turn out that way but no one can know at this point if the politics will escalate.

Edited by S O B

We are booked on the July 1st cruise and I can tell you that UK passengers are only getting free gratuities. Perhaps they think British travellers are intrepid and do not need any inducements. Feels very unfair though...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It does seem unfair but if you don't like the purchase then cancel. A little late though, into penalties; not much room to negotiate more benefits.

The OBC from Oceania is $300 per cabin. And besides the free internet and excursions, they are also giving free gratuities. As long as the political situation doesn't worsen and there are no restrictions placed on the port of St Petersburg, those intrepid travelers that stick with the cruise will likely enjoy a wonderful vacation with bargain-basement upsells to higher category accommodations and specialty restaurants available every night, if desired.

I wish that our group of three couples had the confidence to stick with the original plan and that it will turn out that way but no one can know at this point if the politics will escalate.

I suspect the upsells will start at a usual level. The objective is to maximize revenue. If offers are not filled there will be follow-ups. What you get depends on your and others level of resistance. They will want to fill staterooms that have butlers in order to get their wage supplement. It costs them little more to have a PH occupied vs. something else but there is added income to pay the staff.

I agree you will likely have a great trip with lots of folks eager to see you, off and onshore.

We did cancel our June Baltic cruise some time ago, before the current Ukraine crises, as a conflict arose with a family wedding. That said, if we still had it scheduled I would have to think hard about spending any money in a Russian port or paying their visa fee. Just don't like to support bad behavior.