Help with Venice Hotel.

jolly_cruiser

I need some help with picking a hotel in Venice.

I am there for 2 nights in August, 2014 with the wife and a 4 year old. We are staying there before a cruise.

I am looking for recommendations for a hotel that is in the city and we can walk around the area to see the attractions and will work for a family with a 4 year old.

Please provide your recommendations.

Thanks in Advance.

Venice is quite small; you can walk from the pier to St Marks in under an hour.

How are you arriving to Venice .. train, plane, bus? I think with a toddler and luggage you might find the Piazzale Roma a more convenient location. The PRoma is the last point of land travel so it's where buses, taxis, cars must drop off passengers. And it's close to the pier. But if you can manage luggage and toddler easily ( over bridges, uneven paths, water buses) you can stay anywhere.

Perhaps look at the hotel map in this link to get your bearings then determine which area will work best for your family:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

I am arriving by Air. It is also our first trip to venice, so not familiar with the area. I will check out the link u sent.

We will also have a bit of baggage as we are going to be on a cruise.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Probably too late to get a reservation but Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo is wonderful, reasonably priced and only 50 short yards from the convenient (and express) San Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. Always very highly-ranked on sister website tripadvisor.

I am arriving by Air. It is also our first trip to venice, so not familiar with the area. I will check out the link u sent.

We will also have a bit of baggage as we are going to be on a cruise.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

if you're arriving by air and take a bus or taxi to Venice, you'll be dropped off at Piazzale Roma. If you can't easily manage your luggage, you might want to stay nearby. Look at the link for ' hotels by number of bridges to cross'.

The PRoma is only a block fron the Grand Canal so easy access to the water bus. And only a block from the People Mover ( monorail to the pier ).

Thanks 'Pam' and 'Maple Leaves'. It seems like staying close to the Piazzale Roma is the best option for me considering the luggage and a 4 year old in tow. Here is my thinking based on the feedback so far.

1. Arrive by flight and take a land taxi to P Roma area? Stay at a hotel that is less than a block or so away.

2. Spend 2 days in Venice. It looks like i can get around easily if i am in the P Roma area.

3. Take the people mover to the pier for the cruise? Will this work with all the luggage?

Thanks 'Pam' and 'Maple Leaves'. It seems like staying close to the Piazzale Roma is the best option for me considering the luggage and a 4 year old in tow. Here is my thinking based on the feedback so far.

1. Arrive by flight and take a land taxi to P Roma area? Stay at a hotel that is less than a block or so away.

2. Spend 2 days in Venice. It looks like i can get around easily if i am in the P Roma area.

3. Take the people mover to the pier for the cruise? Will this work with all the luggage?

Number 1 & 2 look good, but I think I'd be tempted to do a taxi for #3. Easy to catch a taxi in Piazzale Roma and shouldn't be too costly just to go the short distance to the pier.

Thanks 'agabbymama'...

I think with the 4 year old and baggage we will consider the taxi option for #3...approximately how much can i expect to pay from a hotel at the P Roma to the pier?

Another stupid question from a Venice novice :) For #1 is there any hotel where i can get dropped off right at the hotel from the airport via land taxi?

Thanks 'agabbymama'...

Another stupid question from a Venice novice :) For #1 is there any hotel where i can get dropped off right at the hotel from the airport via land taxi?

That info was in the link I provided earlier:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

I've read that some cab drivers are reluctant to make the drive to the pier because they lose their place in the taxi line for a 1/2 mile drive to the pier. The cab is metered so it will depend on how bad the congestion is ... 10-15E ??

Probably too late to get a reservation but Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo is wonderful, reasonably priced and only 50 short yards from the convenient (and express) San Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. Always very highly-ranked on sister website tripadvisor.

I was curious about how much this hotel costs (I'm looking for dates beyond the range in later 2015) but any possible date I try to get an idea about it is full... even Feb 2015 the furthest it lets you check. Can you tell me about how much it runs? Thanks! :)

I was curious about how much this hotel costs (I'm looking for dates beyond the range in later 2015) but any possible date I try to get an idea about it is full... even Feb 2015 the furthest it lets you check. Can you tell me about how much it runs? Thanks! :)

I looked at May 12 and May 13 and it was 125E per night.

Thanks 'agabbymama'...

I think with the 4 year old and baggage we will consider the taxi option for #3...approximately how much can i expect to pay from a hotel at the P Roma to the pier?

No such thing as a stupid question. Ca Doge' and Santa Chiara are both right in the square, so a land taxi right to the door would be possible. I think the fare from the airport is around 45 EURO. I fell in love with Ca Doge', but once there, Santa Chiara was across the square and right on the canal, so wished I had checked them out. Plus Santa Chiara has an elevator whereas Ca Doge' DID NOT!

Have a great trip!

Thanks mapleleaves...i missed the info in the link earlier...

On the return i am consdiring a 11;35 am flight after the ship arrives at 6:45 am...will that time be enough to get to the airport from the cruise terminal?

Where are you flying to?

On our last trip we had a noon flight to JFK. We arrived at the airport at 9:30am and only had 10 minutes to spare before boarding. Assuming your ship is on time and you disembark by 9am, you'll be fine.

Thanks Mapleleaves!

It looks like the key to a nice, affordable Venice hotel is booking early. I'm sure hoping to avoid higher than €125. Lol I can hope the exchange rate is better by Fall 2015 but am trying to plan high for now.

Where are you flying to?

On our last trip we had a noon flight to JFK. We arrived at the airport at 9:30am and only had 10 minutes to spare before boarding. Assuming your ship is on time and you disembark by 9am, you'll be fine.

We are flying to Dallas. Flight is at 11:35 out of Marco Polo.

It's very reasonable, maybe 135 Euros per night now? I know they will provide a substantial discount for payment in cash, so easy now with all the ATM machines.

Also, being so close to the express vaporetto, just a wonderful location.

Keep in mind that a lot of hotels in Italy won't let you book that far out in their system. It will show no availability, but that doesn't mean it's all booked up.

Try emailing the hotel directly.

We just booked Locanda Sant'Agostin for a non-cruise related stay. Anyone ever heard of it or stayed here? Gets great TA reviews and I really like the location, a place we have not stayed previously. For our dates it was one of the least expensive but appears to be very nice. A lot cheaper than many of the hotels frequently mentioned here. . .and the have triple and quad rooms which can be hard to find

I am there for 2 nights in August, 2014 with the wife and a 4 year old. We are staying there before a cruise.

I am looking for recommendations for a hotel that is in the city and we can walk around the area to see the attractions and will work for a family with a 4 year old.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi!! Do a search for Tom's port guides. Great advice there for Venice and other mediterraneans ports.:)

Check out Violino D' Oro. We had stayed 4 or 5 times. The staff is best, very friendly and helpful. It is easier to take a water taxi from the airport. We just bite the bullet and pay the fee. There are some cheaper water taxi if you book on line and pay in advance.

Every time we go to Venice we see something that we did not see before, or go somewhere that we had not been before.

There is so very much to see 'outside' of the normal tourist places that it does take several visits or one long one. Each time we go we wonder how we ever thought that we could see everything in two days. Now, when we go we always devote at least one day to walking around in areas that are not very touristy. Recommend this highly.

We find that Rome is the same. Last November we spend four wonderful days there without any specific itinerary. Went to places we had missed, places we did not even know about. No rushing about with a guidebook, just leisurely days with meals in small family run restaurants where we seldom heard an English voice.

Edited by iancal

Thanks in Advance.

In August it will be HOT. Getting around Venice with luggage is already a lot of work, and it's twice as bad when it's hot. So I would minimize whatever walking and transfers you can. The recommendations others have made look pretty good, i.e. stay near Piazzale Roma. We stayed closer to San Marco last June and it was a real chore to get to/from/the airport and cruise port with luggage in tow. I think we sweated off 10 lbs, and that was only mid-June. It'll be even hotter in August.

I'd be a little nervous about the ship due in at 6:45am and having an 11:35am flight through. Especially if it's a Saturday or Sunday (very busy at the airport as so many ship passengers are coming in and out).

You'll have lines to go through for customs and passport control getting off the ship. You'd need to get off the ship in the first group (and hope the ship isn't late getting into port). If you can arrange a land taxi directly from the port, that might work. But if you have to wind your way over to Piazzale Roma for transport from there, I wouldn't risk it. Depending which spot the ship docks at, it can be a hot, annoying walk with luggage. (And the People Mover can be even worse.) From the furthest pier dock (like we were) it's a 3/4 mile walk in the hot sun just to get to the port entrance. It's another 1/2 mile from there to Piazzale Roma. Those don't sound like much but in the hot sun and confusing layout, it can be annoying and time consuming, especially if you're under pressure to catch a flight fast.

The airport is a whole `nother issue. Most of the time it's probably fine. For our flight out on a Sunday, we got to the airport 3 hours early and we barely made the flight (and then missed our connection in Amsterdam because the plane sat at the gate another 2 hours before taking off). But that's because they had all sorts of problems with the baggage system that day (and were terrible at communicating with passengers). But our friends flew out the next day (Monday) and said they had no problem at all.

Thanks in Advance.

You may want to consider staying at the Hilton Hotel or the Anthony Hotel in Mestre. These hotels are about 15 minutes from the airport and in the case of the Anthony I beleive they offer a transfer service to the port which would save you having to deal with luggage. They will also I believe transfer you from the airport to the hotel.

In the case of the Hilton there is a bus stop directly outside the hotel at which stops the No. 5 bus which runs from the airport and then on to Venice Piazzale Roma. The Hilton do offer a transfer service from the airport to the hotel and for two people (and probably a child as well) staying in the same room the charge is 14 Euros.

It is a 20 minute bus ride into Venice from the Hilton but the stop is outside the hotel and runs directly into Piazzale Roma, which is the last stop that any vehicle can do in Venice. On coming back there is an overpass with a lift so that you don't have to cross the busy road. The Hilton also have larger rooms to accomodate families and are about half the price of the hotels on Venice Island.

On leaving for your cruise, as you have luggage and a child it is probably a better bet to arrange a transfer either from the Hilton by taxi (about 35-45 euros) to the port or take what I understand is an included transfer from the Hotel Anthony if staying there.

Good luck with your choice and I hope you have a great cruise.

Sapphire56