Caribbean Princess unable to leave port today :(

mjrich73

"Galveston beaches may be considered great only by people who like dark brown sand and do not care if they cannot see their feet when they are in ankle deep water."

Well, I guess you haven't seen the beaches around heah in Denver. :D

pictures of the letter are ALL over the Princess cruises FB page. Even for those passengers who have had their letter 'removed' from their cabins, it is documented that it existed and what it stated.

I was sooooo impressed with Princess yesterday.....

and so UNimpressed now........

and worried that we're cruising with them in a few weeks.........

possibly..........

since we're on the CB and wondering if the port will be open by then.... :(

Do u know which vessel was constrained?

A deep draft ocean going ship in a confined shipping channel would be considered constrained by draft. It is all speculation until the USCG completes their investigation and assigns blame. Could blame one, could blame the other. Could assign partial blame to both. The location I have seen posted is a relatively unusual place. Just after leaving International Rules of the Road and entering Inland Rules, there is a crossing Intracoastal Waterway with their set of rules. This will probably buy some Admiralty attorneys a new house.:eek:

Pull out the popcorn!

We get a full refund regardless.

We are sailing and everyone got a "new" letter today with new terms .

Oops, we aren't sailing due to new developments, now let the saga continue....

Edited by chipmaster

Galveston beaches are not dark due to pollution. The sandy water is due to silt. All one needs to do is pass the mouth of the Miss river and clear water appears.

Not to sound like a cheerleader for my home, but this argument has been around for years.

Oh, it's cold, 56 and light mist on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Galveston beaches are not dark due to pollution. The sandy water is due to silt. All one needs to do is pass the mouth of the Miss river and clear water appears.

Not to sound like a cheerleader for my home, but this argument has been around for years.

Oh, it's cold, 56 and light mist on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Almost as common of a myth (you clarified) as the one about Fog always being a problem. If I want clear water I head to SPI if I want nearby water activities Galveston is the destination.

I'm glad that Princess is being accomodating considering the circumstances. Always a vacation when someone else is cleaning and cooking..:)

Following your thread closely. We did this cruise Nov. 30th, one of the few that went off without a hitch.:)

Good luck getting on the high seas very soon.

The oil spill is turning out to be a major environmental disaster for the Houston/Galveston area. This is the largest oil spill in the history of Galveston Bay. Luckily no one was seriously injured during the ship/barge collision but the impact to wildlife and the economy will be substantial. This comes at a very bad time when hundreds of migratory birds are arriving in the area. The Audubon Bolivar Flats Shorebird Sanctuary is right on the path of the spill and is reporting damage already. The evening news showed substantial amounts of oil on beaches and birds. In addition thousands of people depend on the bay for their income, from fishing vessels to local industry. The refineries along the upper channel handle about 12% of the oil consumed in the US and at the moment no oil is arriving by ship. One large refinery announced a cut in production today due to limited crude supplies with more expected unless the channel reopens. While I can understand the frustration of cruise passengers stranded onshore a real tragedy is occurring around them. I would like to suggest that we focus our energies on that and say a prayer for the people and wildlife truly impacted by this disaster.

From the Houston Chronicle as of Monday 7:29 pm CDT:

“The Houston Ship Channel, where up to 168,000 gallons of oil was spilled after a barge and a tanker collided last weekend, will remain closed until Tuesday, Coast Guard officials said late Monday. Officials said they will evaluate on Tuesday whether to open the channel.” “As of 6 a.m. Monday, the command said in a statement, 43 outbound vessels and 38 inbound vessels were waiting for the channel to be reopened.”

Additional details here:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Ship-Channel-remains-closed-after-oil-spill-5342986.php?cmpid=bna

Just an FYI for the Princess folks.

The Navigator of the Seas cruise is canceled. Guests will get 100% refund and a 25% FCC. They can remain on the ship until Sunday if they wish.

Carnival is still anticipating getting out tomorrow and partially refunding cruise fare and eliminating port calls. They are still basically playing it by ear at this point, but cancellation is still on the table. Guests are allowed to leave if they want, and get a full refund and 25% FCC, but they also have the option to stay and wait it out.

Not sure this is accurate, click on the link below, it shows the CP is still in port at Bayport.
I know you probably mean the Caribbean Princess but the "CP" is the Sea Princess. The official Princess 2-letter abbreviation for the Caribbean Princess is "CB." :)

FYI, I was reading John Heald's post about the Carnival ships on FB and they are further delayed. They are being required to clean the hulls of the ships and won't finish until tomorrow. Also, the oil spill is huge and apparently blocking access to the Gulf of Mexico. Carnival is offering pretty much the same as Princess.

Edited by Pam in CA