Galveston Bay Oil Spill.

airraider

From what I read it's not going to impact Galveston's cruise port, so Carnival and RCCL Navigator should be okay (assuming that the fog doesn't delay things!)

I'm not sure about Bayport, where Princess and I think Celebrity sail from... I'm not sure if this will impact them.

From what I read it's not going to impact Galveston's cruise port, so Carnival and RCCL Navigator should be okay (assuming that the fog doesn't delay things!)

I'm not sure about Bayport, where Princess and I think Celebrity sail from... I'm not sure if this will impact them.

Looks like a Princess sailing has been delayed.

Will this effect any cruises?

I saw this in online news:

"The closing of the ship channel also delayed shipping traffic in and out of the Port of Galveston including the sailing of the Princess Cruise and Carnival ships, which were scheduled to leave Galveston on Saturday, Popoff said."

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/free/article_6340123e-b1fc-11e3-987d-0017a43b2370.html

Fog in Galveston this morning, so no ships in a the moment.

Not sure if the closing of the ship channel will affect Galveston.

The channel goes past Bolivar to the Gulf.

The ships here turn at the Bolivar flats to enter the channel to the Gulf.

Bolivar Ferry's are shut down also! Nothing is moving through the channel.

With a north wind due this afternoon, that will push the spill to the channel entrance:( Coast Guard won't want ships going though the stuff.

How the H)#* does a ship hit a barge in daylight:confused:

Either pilot error on the bulk carrier or a problem with the boat towing the barge:confused:

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9476801

Port of Galveston is not closed, but the ships can't get around the spill...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

With the Ship channel closed, the ports are closed.

Ports of Houston and Galveston are closed to all marine traffic.

The Bolivar ferry's have been shut down since yesterday.

The front coming through sometime today could make it worse by moving the bunker oil towards the Gulf.

Unfortunately the local news channels are in Houston and rarely get the facts straight about Galveston.

I am amazed how they don't know their geography.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Well, it is a sad night for sure. Oil is washing up on Boliver as well as oil covered birds. Yesterday we were outside getting sunburned and this morning it was cold again, thus the fog. These oil spills have to stop. Hopefully this link works. It's from tonight's news. I feel for those stuck at sea as well as our coastline, birds, turtles and dolphins.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Texas-City-dike-closed-after-barge-and-ship-5341213.php?cmpid=hpbn

My son is sitting on the Caribbean Princess at Houston Bay port for the third day. I know it could me sooo much worse. I'm just disappointed for this group of 11 young college seniors who have worked so hard to get to this point. I hope they get to go someplace! I'm rethinking our plans for using this port. Too many red flags! Something I've learned over the years....red flags ARE red flags!

Sorry for the kids also, but that's life. I'll bet they're still having a good time.

Nothing is perfect.

Now, what red flags are you referring?

Obviously, this is an accident and a devastating one at that.

There is no place, anywhere that anyone can guarantee 100% that nothing adverse will occur.

I was speaking from a "Mom's Heart". (Even though they are 23ish). One of them will be deployed to Afganistan in two weeks. They all know about disappointment!

The word we are getting now is that they will shuttle them to NASA if they want to go as long as they are back by 6 AM Tuesday. They will get a full refund. I know they don't have to do that, and that's nice. They think they can leave tomorrow and make at least one port.

The red flags I mentioned were referring to the problems they have had before this trip. I, too, have a lot of life experiences--full of major disappointments and I know you can not control natural disasters. You can, however, use what you know to make wise decisions.

I asked God to take care of my baby. No doubt, He is! "When you can't see His hand, trust His heart. "

According to the paper this morning, the two ships that were waiting to get into Galveston (RC and Carnival I presume) were allowed to dock "to minimize economic impact" but would not be allowed to depart until it was "safe" to do so.

Here is an update from the Port of Galveston as of 11 am CST today, sounds like they might get to leave soon:

11:00 AM UPDATE REGARDING OIL SPILL MARCH 24, 2014

The Port of Galveston is in a safety zone established by the Coast Guard as a result of the collision between the M/V SUMMER WIND and the tug MISS SUSAN. The collision spilled some 168,000 gallons of oil into the water. A combination of weather (strong northerly winds) and current have pushed the oil south towards the Port and out thru the breakwater. Currently, vessels are permitted to enter the safety zone but may not depart until (1) they are cleaned (and inspected by the Coast Guard) and (2) they are able to transit thru clean water (e.g., they cannot be re-oiled once they sail from the port). (Vessels are also permitted to move within the safety zone without Coast Guard permission.) The Coast Guard wants the operators of vessels that are oiled to report their vessel’s status to the Vessel Traffic Service.

There were two overflights ordered to assess the condition of the ports, including extent of oiling and status of the Galveston Channels (harbor, bar and entrance). We just received the results of those overflights. The channel appears to be clear of oil. The Coast Guard will, be sending out a boat to do a shoreline assessment of the area north of the entrance channel. Assuming that assessment confirms the results of the overflight, the captain of the port plans to allow some vessels to depart (cruise ships) All other vessels in port are on standby for approval by the captain of the port prior to departure

With the Ship channel closed, the ports are closed.

Ports of Houston and Galveston are closed to all marine traffic.

The Bolivar ferry's have been shut down since yesterday.

The front coming through sometime today could make it worse by moving the bunker oil towards the Gulf.

Unfortunately the local news channels are in Houston and rarely get the facts straight about Galveston.

I am amazed how they don't know their geography.

How can you not love our "news channels"....:roll eyes:

Give them a good sex scandal and they will be all over it. And if there is a thunderstorm in the gulf Ch2 and Frank goes to DEFCON 1. But real news...a little sketchy.

(sorry, those of you not in Houston won't get the above, but those of us here know how bad and over the top on nonsense our news can be sometimes)

I was just at one of the marine terminals this am delivering and they said there is something like 40+ ships waiting to depart and over 30 waiting to enter the port. This is going to cost somebody BIG money as the ships are getting paid detention to sit there. The guy at the terminal told me it was in the thousands of dollars PER HOUR they are delayed.

If anybody needs a job...might be a tug boat driver opening soon.:eek:

I was speaking from a "Mom's Heart". (Even though they are 23ish). One of them will be deployed to Afganistan in two weeks. They all know about disappointment!

The word we are getting now is that they will shuttle them to NASA if they want to go as long as they are back by 6 AM Tuesday. They will get a full refund. I know they don't have to do that, and that's nice. They think they can leave tomorrow and make at least one port.

The red flags I mentioned were referring to the problems they have had before this trip. I, too, have a lot of life experiences--full of major disappointments and I know you can not control natural disasters. You can, however, use what you know to make wise decisions.

I asked God to take care of my baby. No doubt, He is! "When you can't see His hand, trust His heart. "

Sending a many prayers to you and your son. Thank him from the bottom of my heart for his service to the country.

I was just at one of the marine terminals this am delivering and they said there is something like 40+ ships waiting to depart and over 30 waiting to enter the port. This is going to cost somebody BIG money as the ships are getting paid detention to sit there. The guy at the terminal told me it was in the thousands of dollars PER HOUR they are delayed.

If anybody needs a job...might be a tug boat driver opening soon.:eek:

Someone's insurance company is having a heart attack right now....

Only relocating for Triumph to disembark passengers.

No ships leaving the port at the present time.

Correct according to port of Galveston

LATEST UPDATE:

March 24, 2014 4:41 PM

4:30 PM Update:

The Carnival Magic at Pier 25 has shifted to Pier 10 for cleaning and USCG Inspection (lay vessel activity). Passengers have boarded.

The Carnival Triumph has shifted from Pier 10 to Pier 25 for cleaning, inspections and normal operations. Passengers will board beginning 4:00PM

Navigator of the Seas remains at pier 26 for cleaning, inspections and normal operations. Passengers have boarded.

All cruise ships shall be cleaned according to specific decontamination procedures and cleared USCG Inspection prior to departure. Our best hope is that this will be done by late evening or tonight.

http://www.portofgalveston.com/