Ruby Cabin Question

nowornever

Forgive me if this is one of those many times asked & answered questions but we have a limited time to decide. It's our 2nd Princess so we have no status at all - bottom of the pecking order. When we signed up for the Trans-Atlantic, there were no mini-suites available so we got a BB (thanks to those who replied to our question then.) Now we have been notified that a mini on Dolphin deck close to mid-ships, but not too close to elevator, has become available. We would certainly not get a cheap upsell so the cost difference seems to be significant to me (about $850 pp for a 14 day cruise) and I'm wavering. Are there any perks or intangibles that I'm not seeing here? Do you get breakfast in a specialty restaurant or is that for bigger suites only? I like the location of the BB on the Baja deck but in rough seas, the Dolphin might be better???

Your seasoned Princess advice would be most welcomed.

Forgive me if this is one of those many times asked & answered questions but we have a limited time to decide. It's our 2nd Princess so we have no status at all - bottom of the pecking order. When we signed up for the Trans-Atlantic, there were no mini-suites available so we got a BB (thanks to those who replied to our question then.) Now we have been notified that a mini on Dolphin deck close to mid-ships, but not too close to elevator, has become available. We would certainly not get a cheap upsell so the cost difference seems to be significant to me (about $850 pp for a 14 day cruise) and I'm wavering. Are there any perks or intangibles that I'm not seeing here? Do you get breakfast in a specialty restaurant or is that for bigger suites only? I like the location of the BB on the Baja deck but in rough seas, the Dolphin might be better???

The real perks come with the full suites, although some consider the glass of 'champagne/sparkling wine' on boarding in the mini-suites a perk but others do not.

Edited by capriccio

For that much more per person that doesn't really sound like much of a special bargain to me...

Perks are for full suites, not mini-suites. You will get a larger cabin with a sitting area and a sofa. You will also have a tub with shower rather than a "friendly" small shower. Baja deck balconies are 45 sq ft and totally covered while Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies are 63 sq ft and totally uncovered. This might or might not be an issue for you if you have a cabin on the side of the ship facing primarily south during your many sea days.

I would consider an aft Cat BD Caribe deck balcony if any are available. They have 81 sq ft balconies with the first 45 sq ft covered. We have been in a cabin in that area with an 8 hour stretch of very rough seas in South America and the movement was less than in the forward portion of the ship or on Lido deck.

The $1,700 is not worth it IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

some consider the glass of 'champagne/sparkling wine' on boarding in the mini-suites a perk but others do not

For the price difference of $850 ea you could buy a bottle of Champagne every night & still have money left.

The mini-suites have a couch, which is a lot more comfy than the chair. (We usually take a mini-suite when my brother tags along, for the sofa-bed & extra space.)

Steve

Edited by skf

the cost difference seems to be significant to me (about $850 pp for a 14 day cruise)

Are you sure it's a Mini-suite they are offering? For the price difference it sounds like a Suite.

Edited by skf