Port of Galveston closed

vols_159

According to letters to cruisers they are boarding tomorrow regardless of docking tonight due to the logistics of getting everyone off. Has anyone received an update saying differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

New passengers were interviewed on the evening news tonight. They said they were told they will not board until tomorrow.

As for paying the tonight's hotel - I think that the refund for the missed day (double occupancy) will be far more than a night's hotel.

I am a Platinum member and would NOT expect any more from Carnival than the prorated amount refunded. Insurance is sold for a reason. If you make the conscious decision to decline the insurance than you don't have any right to compensation for issues beyond Carnival's control.

New passengers were interviewed on the evening news tonight. They said they were told they will not board until tomorrow.

Someone asked JH on a post if they could board tonight and he said…yes have fun. I guess he didn’t see Carnivals statement an hour or so before saying tomorrow.

Once again you can’t believe what he says half the time. Then he came back with the new update later making it sound like it just came out.

We are on the Magic and they are still doing "self assist" debarkation. Who knows what time we'll get off. Guess we'll find something for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

do you have the option to spend the night on board?

Sooooo........question about trip insurance....

If you purchased trip insurance through specifically through Carnival:

A) If you were on the ship and delayed coming back into port, would the insurance cover lodging, food and air line rebooking expenses etc?

B) If you were delayed getting on the ship by a day, would insurance cover your hotel and food expenses?

Just curious....never bought trip insurance and/or been delayed in this kind of situation.

do you have the option to spend the night on board?

They haven't said anything to us about spending the night as an option. We had 2 rooms and cleared one out so they could clean it. They have asked several times not to come down to the gangway because it is jam packed, so they haven't made us leave our room yet.

They haven't said anything to us about spending the night as an option. We had 2 rooms and cleared one out so they could clean it. They have asked several times not to come down to the gangway because it is jam packed, so they haven't made us leave our room yet.

thanks for the update I would of thought they would have let you stayed on board till morning but that was just my thought.. Have safe travels home

A) If you were on the ship and delayed coming back into port, would the insurance cover lodging, food and air line rebooking expenses etc?

B) If you were delayed getting on the ship by a day, would insurance cover your hotel and food expenses?

Just curious....never bought trip insurance and/or been delayed in this kind of situation.

Yes and Yes thats my understanding

We are booked to sail on the Magic out of Galveston April 6, and I did purchase insurance from a third party insurer, Travel Guard. With the news of the spill, I naturally was curious to know whether any additional expenses would have been covered. I called the phone number and the agent told me that this is a grey area. Trip interruption expenses due to natural disaster are covered, but this is a man-made disaster. However it is not specifically excluded, as most man-made disasters apparently are. She said this would be considered on a case by case basis. If anyone has any similar experience on whether a nights' stay is covered, please share.

I can't speak to the insurance that Carnival sells, but when I bought it from a travel insurance agency website, there were many options at many different prices from different carriers with different policy coverages. I bought a policy that seemed to cover the risks I was most concerned about (specifically, missing the cruise ship due to flight delay, norovirus, and cruise malfunctions). I realize I could have paid more for a different policy that would have more comprehensive coverage.

That said, I asked the Travel Guard agent if I could have paid more for a policy that specifically would cover interruption due to an oil spill and she said it looked like all of their policies had the same language in that regard.

Edited by azlefty

We are booked to sail on the Magic out of Galveston April 6, and I did purchase insurance from a third party insurer, Travel Guard. With the news of the spill, I naturally was curious to know whether any additional expenses would have been covered. I called the phone number and the agent told me that this is a grey area. Trip interruption expenses due to natural disaster are covered, but this is a man-made disaster. However it is not specifically excluded, as most man-made disasters apparently are. She said this would be considered on a case by case basis. If anyone has any similar experience on whether a nights' stay is covered, please share.

I can't speak for the insurance that Carnival sells, but when I bought it from a travel insurance agency website, there were many options at many different prices from different carriers with different policy coverages. I bought a policy that seemed to cover the risks I was most concerned about (specifically, missing the cruise ship due to flight delay, norovirus, and cruise malfunctions). I realize I could have paid more for a different policy that would have more comprehensive coverage.

That said, I asked the Travel Guard agent if I could have paid more for a policy that specifically would cover interruption due to an oil spill and she said it looked like all of their policies had the same language in that regard.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Houston and they they just announced on the ten oclock news that the Magic and RC Navigator of the Seas have ported in Galveston.They showed a passenger off one of the ships and he said it wasnt too bad.The port is closed so the people who were supposed to leave today wont be able to leave until it reopens and they did not give a time estimate for that.The spill is much worse than they initially thought.

Embarkation tomorrow is 8-11 am, leaving by noon and skip Jamaica. My parent are happy about that, unfortunately their hotel room a little over $115 was nearly half the cost of their total cruise, lol.

Despite CCL stating they are sailing tomorrow they can only sail aid USGC approves their departure and as of a couple hours ago that was iffy for tomorrow. The CG will decide when they can sail...they were allowed in thru the closed channel because so many pax were affected by being stuck offshore.

thanks for the update I would of thought they would have let you stayed on board till morning but that was just my thought.. Have safe travels home

We got off the Magic at 9:46pm (We're Platinum so we got off early and there were tons of people still waiting to get off the ship.) When we found out the next sailing wasn't boarding until tomorrow, we asked if we could stay another night and were told, NO. It took forever to get through Customs because the agents were split between both ships. CCL employees and porters said they'd been there since 7am. :(

Had to be hard for the passengers getting off late last night to find hotel rooms / change there flights probably made for a tiring long day hope all is well