which is the best mini suite on the Coral

mysaddlebred000

Thinking about a two week cruise on the Coral - Panama. We love the sun. Yes I know it can be hot on the port side going west (leaving from Florida) but if we continue to Canada, I think it would be great facing west late afternoons. Now if we go the other direction, then I am thinking the starboard side. So, which mini suite cabin is the best for location and size - is there a difference in size. I saw a site that shows which ones are covered, uncovered, etc. Yes, I know not to be above or below certain areas - always check that first. It has been many years since we were on her.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Really, it depends on what you want.

The site in question is here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Personally, we love the front facing corner bumpouts for the field of view, but there is a tradeoff in balcony size and privacy and a little more wind.

Thinking about a two week cruise on the Coral - Panama. We love the sun. Yes I know it can be hot on the port side going west (leaving from Florida) but if we continue to Canada, I think it would be great facing west late afternoons. Now if we go the other direction, then I am thinking the starboard side. So, which mini suite cabin is the best for location and size - is there a difference in size. I saw a site that shows which ones are covered, uncovered, etc. Yes, I know not to be above or below certain areas - always check that first. It has been many years since we were on her.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Minis on the Coral/Island are the same size except for the ones that do not have a balcony, in that case the balcony size is included inside the mini.

We prefer the minis on Dolphin deck in the 700's. They are close to the aft viewing area.

photo-e.jpg

The corner bumps are a little smaller as compared to say Dolphin deck, but as you noted I don't recall a lot of size difference, just coverage.

Minis on the Coral/Island are the same size except for the ones that do not have a balcony, in that case the balcony size is included inside the mini.

We prefer the minis on Dolphin deck in the 700's. They are close to the aft viewing area.

We chose Dolphin D416 for the Panama Canal -- because the balcony is part covered and has privacy -- and were very happy with the location and the balcony. The equivalent starboard cabin would be D417. [This is category MA, but if you have an American Express Platinum card you only pay for MD -- that makes the card worthwhile all by itself!]

In terms of viewing areas, Caribe deck is even more convenient because it has the biggest aft viewing area (with lounge chairs). If you don't mind far-forward location and don't want a balcony, C201-204 are a great bargain and very convenient to the forward viewing area.

photo-e.jpg

And those minis are fully covered -- we've had one on both our Alaska cruises. The Caribe deck minis in the 700s are partially covered and still close to the aft viewing area that has lounges on it (the Dolphin viewing area has no furniture). We chose a Caribe 700 mini for our Panama Canal transit and loved it.

Edited by capriccio

I always forget about that perk, but you have to book through them and I don't want to bypass my TA.

We had D418 in Alaska I think great cabin except the night it POURED, went with B416 for Panama because of the extended view.

We chose Dolphin D416 for the Panama Canal -- because the balcony is part covered and has privacy -- and were very happy with the location and the balcony. The equivalent starboard cabin would be D417. [This is category MA, but if you have an American Express Platinum card you only pay for MD -- that makes the card worthwhile all by itself!]

In terms of viewing areas, Caribe deck is even more convenient because it has the biggest aft viewing area (with lounge chairs). If you don't mind far-forward location and don't want a balcony, C201-204 are a great bargain and very convenient to the forward viewing area.

I also have been looking at those bump out cabins but I kind of like the aft facing ones. We usually book aft cabins and I like seeing where we have been. Also I have found that the wind isn't as strong as the bow facing ones. Most of the cabins I would have liked are gone, like deck C. I was looking at D726 - the last cabin on the port side. It is uncovered and that doesn't bother me. I guess it is as close to the aft as we can get. Yes I do like the back deck and know there are no chairs on that deck but sometimes you just want to look where we have been. My first choice would have been deck C.

Does anyone see any problems with D726 other than being uncovered. And yes, people can look at us. Is that window washing unit going to block any views? That is my only concern right now.

Thanks for all the comments.

I also have been looking at those bump out cabins but I kind of like the aft facing ones. We usually book aft cabins and I like seeing where we have been. Also I have found that the wind isn't as strong as the bow facing ones. Most of the cabins I would have liked are gone, like deck C. I was looking at D726 - the last cabin on the port side. It is uncovered and that doesn't bother me. I guess it is as close to the aft as we can get. Yes I do like the back deck and know there are no chairs on that deck but sometimes you just want to look where we have been. My first choice would have been deck C.

Does anyone see any problems with D726 other than being uncovered. And yes, people can look at us. Is that window washing unit going to block any views? That is my only concern right now.

Thanks for all the comments.

Just know that people that are on the viewing deck are like right there next to your balcony. If you don't have an issue with that then book it. As you can see the wash cage is right there too. And you have the cabin above you looking down too.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

AMEX is the one who told me they don't do it anymore, but I will check.

Either that or I will pay with Princess Visa and take the OBC, right now the price difference isn't much between us and 2 cats down (like $80 pp)

Almost forgot.

Loonbeam,

You do not have to use AMEX travel to get the perk. Your TA can do it. Some don't want to bother with the extra work so they say they can't but they CAN!!

We have used it a dozen times the past three years with a TA

AMEX is the one who told me they don't do it anymore, but I will check.

Either that or I will pay with Princess Visa and take the OBC, right now the price difference isn't much between us and 2 cats down (like $80 pp)

If you don't want the 2-category upgrade, you can take $300 OBC -- and in either case you also get a free dinner first night in Sabatini's and a bottle of cheap sparkling wine. We have more than paid back the Platinum fee with cruise discounts -- plus we get airline rebates and lounge access.

The $300 obc is suites only, per the Amex page...

I do use the airline rebates, but the lounge access benefit has been greatly reduced with the elimination of USAir and American, leaving only Delta and some independent lounges (and Delta is only valid when flying on Delta same day, USAir was anytime)

The platinum still has value to me for business travel, so that's not the issue, just not as much as it used to.

If you don't want the 2-category upgrade, you can take $300 OBC -- and in either case you also get a free dinner first night in Sabatini's and a bottle of cheap sparkling wine. We have more than paid back the Platinum fee with cruise discounts -- plus we get airline rebates and lounge access.

Am I missing something?? It only tells if the balconies are covered or uncovered. Is there something else?

To me, the photos are also very useful. There aren't photos of every balcony cabin on the ship, but of all the bumpout sections and most of the aft and forward areas. Poke around on those other two pages on the site and you'll see what I mean.

We were in A604 on our trip through the canal. Liked being in the bump out area. DH is over 6 feet and we found that curved balcony gave us less room to sit out together. It was cozy! We could sit looking at each other but not side by side.

The other thing to look into, and I didn't see it on the website Tom O. posted, is where the emergency doors are for when or if needed. (Check the Princess website and you will see them in the halls. They show up every once in awhile.) We had one right outside our door as well as a door for the stewards to use for storing their carts. We could hear the carts leave the double doors all morning long and go over the metal strips for the doors in the hall too. If you are a light sleeper, this can be a very noisy room! Any room near these doorways can be noisy.

Other than that, we enjoyed being in that room. We did our trip in February so it wasn't as hot as it can be and we enjoyed sitting (and napping) on the balcony during the passage between locks, midday! No sunburn either.

Are you sure about the $300 exchange? We usually do suites but have not been happy with the service the past four cruises so tried a mini last cruise and we did indeed get better service. Some staff, especially the MDR, seemed to screw up our table assignments every night but no problem at all in the mini (same ship). I have seen some very pushy and truly a**holes from suites who think they are way better than most. We are not demanding at all. Other than Sabitini's for breakfast, we get the same perks being elite - oh - an extra bar setup. We can get a mini for half the price and the larger cabin doesn't seem like that big of a deal anymore. I think we are very happy in mini's and that is why I want to research the best minis.

We also like the $200 airfare refund with AMEX. It has really paid off for us since we travel so much. They talk up the airport lounge perk so much but it is really worthless unless you fly Delta.

Are you sure about the $300 exchange? We usually do suites but have not been happy with the service the past four cruises so tried a mini last cruise and we did indeed get better service. Some staff, especially the MDR, seemed to screw up our table assignments every night but no problem at all in the mini (same ship). I have seen some very pushy and truly a**holes from suites who think they are way better than most. We are not demanding at all. Other than Sabitini's for breakfast, we get the same perks being elite - oh - an extra bar setup. We can get a mini for half the price and the larger cabin doesn't seem like that big of a deal anymore. I think we are very happy in mini's and that is why I want to research the best minis.

We also like the $200 airfare refund with AMEX. It has really paid off for us since we travel so much. They talk up the airport lounge perk so much but it is really worthless unless you fly Delta.

Loonbeam is right: on Princess the $300 is only for suites. I was thinking about other cruise lines where we have gotten the $300 for a regular cabin. But the other benefits were great, especially for the first year: the Global Entry credit, the annual airline credit, and the airport lounge access. It's also worth signing up for the rental car insurance option [this works with many Amex cards, not just Platinum]: primary CDW insurance for only $25 per rental (not per day).

From the current Amex site (my bold)

Cruise Privileges benefits aboard Princess

• $300 shipboard credit (for suites and above) or two-category stateroom upgrade (depending on ship, category booked and availability)
  • Dinner at Sabatini'sSM (first night only) for up to two guests (guests aboard Sea, Dawn and Sun Princess enjoy dinner in Sterling Steakhouse instead)
  • Bottle of champagne
  • 1 extra Membership Rewards point on each dollar you spend per booking

BTW the $200 credit does not apply to Airfare itself, only incidentals (baggage fees, onboard purchases, lounge passes and in some cases upgrade purchases, and only on the one airline you select at the beginning of the year)