Port or Starboard on Panama Canal

JAYBEEPEA

It does not really matter for view as you could enter either side of the locks. They won't know until they approach.

Make sure you use the forward and aft viewing areas!

Because of the teen area on Aloha you they don't have an aft area, you would have to go down to Baja/Caribe/Dolphin or Emerald.

Here is a great website for the Island/Coral.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

photo-e.jpg

I don't think the Island has the stern (:D Aft ) viewing areas on the Baja/Caribe/Dolphin decks. I thought there was only one on the Emerald deck. Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

Traveling LA to FLL Dec 2018. Can someone give advice as to LA to canal, port or starboard regarding sun? Is one side cooler and oneside warmer?

Thanks so much

From LA to the Canal the afternoon sun will be on your starboard side. The sun will start out just about directly on the starboard side and as as you near the Canal the sun will start moving towards the stern but will stay on the starboard side. I guess your question about one side warmer, you are referring to the cabin? If the cabin is on the starboard side, we keep the curtains closed to cut down on the heat gain. If your cruise is during the winter months there may not be a huge difference particularly nearer California.

Traveling LA to FLL Dec 2018. Can someone give advice as to LA to canal, port or starboard regarding sun? Is one side cooler and oneside warmer?

Thanks so much

We were on the Coral in Dec.2017, LA to Fort Lauderdale. We had a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. starboard side.

It was HOT, not just warm...it was uncomfortably hot most days except in the early morning. The balcony was full sun and the heat and full sun made the balcony unusable. The sun coming in through the balcony door all day heated up the room unless we kept the curtains partially drawn.

We had originally booked a regular balcony on the port side but took advantage of a good price on an upsell for a mini-suite on the dolphin deck starboard side. I don't know if it was a good swap. It was nice having the full couch and sitting area, but the balcony was unusable for the trip except in early morning.

I disagree with the others to a certain extent. No matter which set of locks you go through, I think the more interesting side to view the locks when sailing from LA to FLL is the starboard side. However, you don't want to stay on your balcony as you'll miss the commentary which is broadcast only on public decks. You should move around the ship, go forward and/or aft to the public decks and/or Promenade deck.

Very true. As far as the locks go, it is a toss up, but there is a lot more to see on the starboard side. Fewer, but very cool things on the port side.

But you will not be disappointed with the port side either. Talking to people at the end of the day, you will feel like you missed something either way. So it is best enjoyed up on deck.

We were on the Coral in Dec.2017, LA to Fort Lauderdale. We had a mini-suite on the Dolphin deck. starboard side.

It was HOT, not just warm...it was uncomfortably hot most days except in the early morning. The balcony was full sun and the heat and full sun made the balcony unusable. The sun coming in through the balcony door all day heated up the room unless we kept the curtains partially drawn.

We had originally booked a regular balcony on the port side but took advantage of a good price on an upsell for a mini-suite on the dolphin deck starboard side. I don't know if it was a good swap. It was nice having the full couch and sitting area, but the balcony was unusable for the trip except in early morning.

Did you have a covered balcony?

Make sure you are at the aft facing the wake after going through the last lock..........Amazing like nothing you have even seen before when the ocean level you leave behind you is higher then the ship.

Jimbo:) :)

What you hope is that it’s at a good time! We’ve done this twice and the first time we started through the canal at 5 am. Many people were very unhappy but the transient time is not under ship control.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you have a covered balcony?

Vmom

Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I needed to know.

We are changing our minisuite from D411 to the Caribe Deck Minisuite Aft C705

At least it is half covered.

Thanks so much for your help.