Alaska Cruise more Casual?

We have sailed 3 times to Alaska, once on the Radiance.....our favorite ship!!

I found it to be more casual, jeans were pretty much standard....but also saw tux's and formal wear.

As long as you have nice clean dark color (black or dark blue) jeans with nice sweaters or jackets you will be fine.

Remember layering is the key during the day!!

What we found was that yes, it's more relaxed during the day but more elegant at night. More people were dressed up and would stay in that attire after dinner. Seems like in the Caribbean more people would make the mad dash back to their cabin after dinner to change clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

This past June 28 we did a 10 cruise tour, Alaska was having a heat wave!!! Never wore our heavy jackets and only had rain one day. Fog kept us from seeing the glacier. As to dress we saw people dressed the same as on other cruises just fewer shorts. Dining room same as usual, some dressed for formal nights and some didn't. I will say it was our most favorite cruise out of 9. Enjoy the cruise and the beautiful scenery, it truly is the last frontier.

I have been on two AK cruises and it was less formal although some did dress up. In AK the key is to wear layers that can be taken off and put on at will. The dress on shore is very informal with jeans, flannel shirts etc.

I have done several land trips to AK in the last decade. In July 2004 we landed in Anchorage at 8 PM from the lower 48. The outside temperature was 95! The entire first week we were there, the temperature was in the 90's every day and they natives were walking around with their tongues hanging out. The next two weeks we were there temperatures returned to more normal levels. The days are long (18 - 22 hours) and the nights are short (2 - 6 hours) depending on where you are in the state in the summer time. On all my summertime trips to AK, I went to bed with the sun up and woke up with the sun up. I hear it actually turned somewhat dark for an hour or two!

I have been on two AK cruises and it was less formal although some did dress up. In AK the key is to wear layers that can be taken off and put on at will. The dress on shore is very informal with jeans, flannel shirts etc.

I have done several land trips to AK in the last decade. In July 2004 we landed in Anchorage at 8 PM from the lower 48. The outside temperature was 95! The entire first week we were there, the temperature was in the 90's every day and they natives were walking around with their tongues hanging out. The next two weeks we were there temperatures returned to more normal levels. The days are long (18 - 22 hours) and the nights are short (2 - 6 hours) depending on where you are in the state in the summer time. On all my summertime trips to AK, I went to bed with the sun up and woke up with the sun up. I hear it actually turned somewhat dark for an hour or two!

That is hysterical! 95 in Alaska had to be totrure for the natives.... A 95 degree summer day here in Arizona is priceless and I can only dream to have a summer like that!

Edited by Arizona Cruz Chic

Just booked an Alaska cruise and had read somewhere that the dress seems to be more casual on the ships. Is this true for the Radiance of the Seas?

Looking at your countdown clock it seems as if you are on the May 30th sailing. You should come join our roll call! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1808380&page=20

Do you mean during the day? I think cruises are pretty much casual, no matter the itinerary. Caribbean cruises are casual and I honestly don't think Alaskan cruises are any more or less casual. Wear for comfort and yes, remember that the weather is unpredictable and you may need to ether put on or shed some layers.