Royal Promenade

Bentley5700

You dreamt it :)

There are supposedly plans to open up the are behind the lifeboats so that people can walk between the different outside areas. However (if it happens) it will not be wrap around and you would only be able to walk down the side, and even then not the full length of the ship. No possibility to cross over to other side unless you went via inside route.

Did I read that the Royal had been retrofitted with a Promenade deck that you could walk around the ship on, or did I dream it?

Just curious:

The Royal Princess has been in service since June 2013. At what point during these nine months would she have had the opportunity to have such a major refit?

Royal Princess will never have a wrap around promenade. Period. At best, and in the distant future, the very narrow access area behind the lifeboats may be opened for passenger use to allow for a walkway down the side of the ship. But it will not go around the bow nor the stern.

A friend of mine who sailed on the Royal LOVED the existing Promenade. He said he liked it because there wasn't crowds of people walking to and fro. It was just a nice place to sit and watch the world go by.

Just plug your nose on parts of the running track and you will be fine...

What does your comment mean? I was up on the running track daily and never had to "plug" my nose. I guess you're implying people stink? Maybe it was you who stunk.

What does your comment mean? I was up on the running track daily and never had to "plug" my nose. I guess you're implying people stink? Maybe it was you who stunk.

Wow. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is Regal Princess that was redesigned to allow passenger access to all of the outdoor promenade.

Wow. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is Regal Princess that was redesigned to allow passenger access to all of the outdoor promenade.

A recent Royal Princess passenger reported that at a lecture held in Princess Live! it had been mentioned by one of the designers that at one time there had been a decision to try and open the very narrow access area behind the lifeboats for passenger use, but it had since been decided not to do so. Guess we will find out for sure sometime in the next 55 days.

Wow, nice return comments. :rolleyes:

If you spend a lot of time on the track you will get a bad odor from the ship.

There were times on the running track, which I used every day on the Royal Princess where the smell coming from the ship was awful. There were even days where you could smell it inside the ship near the Wheelhouse Bar and outside the Vista Lounge.

I used the track in the mornings and I used it in the afternoons and the smell was there, strong sometimes and less strong at others.

My nose is huge, twice the size of a normal nose, so maybe I am a little sensitive...

Wow, nice return comments. :rolleyes:

The irony was thick on that 1st one.....

I could see how running on the running 'track' at the top of the ship could be tough having to contend with potential exhaust from the stacks.

That stated, while speed walkers are a little bit of an inconvenience, I find it downright rude when I see joggers actually running on the promenade deck.

prom·e·nade (prŏm′ə-nād′, -näd′)

n.

a. A leisurely walk, especially one taken in a public place as a social activity.

b. A public place for such walking or strolling.

Edited by Skai

Just plug your nose on parts of the running track and you will be fine...

What a snarky comment, especially coming from a Carnival cruiser...

Somebody must be having a bad day. Sorry you had to endure that and I'm glad your response was so well well-mannered.

I thought I'd miss the wrap around promenade, but I didn't. There were so many beautiful areas to enjoy the sea view, including the Horizon Terrace in the back. Gorgeous ship.

I thought I'd miss it and yes I do miss it.

This was a big screw up by Princess IMO. :(

Thats too bad. If that is the trend. :(

Agreed. It seems with the Grand-class ship that Princess Cruises has played their best poker hand. There may be future SOLAS, Safe Return to Port, or changes in other safety (lifesaving) rules that effect ship design that we are not be privy to. And we can't blame the cruise line for having to abide by those rules if it alters what we have come to love and enjoy.

Now, the aft pool is a completely different story. ;)

Agreed. It seems with the Grand-class ship that Princess Cruises has played their best poker hand. There may be future SOLAS, Safe Return to Port, or changes in other safety (lifesaving) rules that effect ship design that we are not be privy to. And we can't blame the cruise line for having to abide by those rules if it alters what we have come to love and enjoy.

I do not think there is anything in SOLA that would prevent parts of a Promenade deck from being in the front or rear of the ship. The Royal has neither.

I do not think there is anything in SOLA that would prevent parts of a Promenade deck from being in the front or rear of the ship. The Royal has neither.

The Royal Princess has none at it's bow due to ship design. Since there is no 'promenade' forward of the lifeboats on Royal Princes, and there is no pelican-snout bow on this class of ship to accommodate a continuation if there were, it really makes no sense to have a small U-shaped tunnel going under/around the Princess Theater within the ships superstructure.

Going around the stern may have been an aesthetic choice, since again you would just have a small U-shaped non-continuing deck. Without the U-shaped partial decks, it gives us four separate sitting and lounging areas.

Funny how people see things differently. I thought the outside areas of deck 7 were fantastic. They had nice loungers in large areas which were always peaceful Then out back of the Horizon court was probably my favorite place of all. It had a large bar, many tables, chairs and couches all facing aft. This aft area was huge and most enjoyable to watch the wake of the ship.