Other lines UBP policy change

NH Cruisers

All cruiselines will have a proportion of pax who try to 'beat the system' (RRs, laundry for all, buying rounds of drinks on a UBP etc..)

For those of us who are honourable and follow the rules this can potentially lead to the removal or diminution of a desirable facility or loyalty perk for us.

Speculating what proportion are doing this on each line is rather derailing this thread however. I am not Princess bashing - I enjoyed my cruise on Princess and would sail again with them - but NCL's prices are better.

I was only demonstrating the differences in passenger make-up and outlook. Yes, every cruise line does have a proportion of passengers who try to beat the system and the cruise lines know what proportion that is and what affect it has on their bottom line, which is demonstrated by the rules that they enact (i.e. why one cruise line requires everyone to purchase a drink package and why another does not).

When a passenger pays them $49 a day, the passenger would have to order more alcohol than they can physically consume in order to make the deal not worth it for NCL. Even if passenger could get over the profitability limit of NCL on one day, nobody can keep drinking like that for several days in a row.

So when people say that they have barely benefited from the package, NCL has only given them a very small discount at that point and one would have to drink a lot, lot more in order to actually make a difference with NCL's profit what comes to bar revenues and UBP revenue.

I've met people who can and do consume about $49 or more every day of the cruise on every single cruise line I've been on.

I've met people who can and do consume about $49 or more every day of the cruise on every single cruise line I've been on.

I was not talking about the list prices but the actual cost for NCL. If we'd assume that no drink would cost more than $2 to NCL, $49 paid by the customer would cover at least 24 drinks a day, most likely almost double the amount, before the deal wouldn't be profitable for the cruise line.

I was not talking about the list prices but the actual cost for NCL. If we'd assume that no drink would cost more than $2 to NCL, $49 paid by the customer would cover at least 24 drinks a day, most likely almost double the amount, before the deal wouldn't be profitable for the cruise line.

In addition to the cost of the drink one also needs to consider the costs of labor, etc. in the calculation. If NCL is like any other business they probably clear 30 to 40% per drink, less on the drink specials. I have no idea of the exact numbers involved but they do and it's all taken into consideration.

Ahhhh! I see.

Honestly though, there was this one guy on Princess in 2009, who I bet may have :D:D:D:D

I agree, but I also wonder why Royal and Princess are allowing it to be sold per person? Oh and I only play penny slots and actually left with money from them~ DH lost but not the $400 they would have gotten from us had I been able to buy the UBP~

Different clientele. They are more upscale lines - well Princess is. I'm surprised Royal is doing it, but it's more than double the cost to cruise Royal than it is NCL, so they sure aren't losing money!

Personally I like the idea of not all having to purchase, though for me even doing one package I think would still be higher than if I just paid for my drinks. My husband on the other hand might at best drink 2 beers a day and never for all 7 days. While I do like to drinks different margaritas, daiquiris and martinis. Though with $49 a day I still have to order around 6 drinks to break even and half the time the drinks I would have ordered were excluded from the package.

Different clientele. They are more upscale lines - well Princess is. I'm surprised Royal is doing it, but it's more than double the cost to cruise Royal than it is NCL, so they sure aren't losing money!

I am that clientele, when I sail NCL I am still the same clientele. So to me they have the same clientele.