Istanbul Tram

We arrive in Istanbul at 4.00 p.m., stay overnight and leave at 5.00 p.m.

I have heard the traffic is extremely bad and we would be better off getting the tram. My friend uses a wheelchair and I was wondering how busy the tram would be if we picked it up at the port to go to Sultanhamet. Would be be able to get on at the port at around 4.00 - 4.30 p.m.?

Also, travelling back from Sultanhamet, will we have trouble getting on a tram at about 7.00 p.m.?

The following day we would start off early, at around 8.00 a.m., and return at around 3.00 - 3.30 p.m., again would the tram be too busy?

The trams are well utilized and can be crowded. (Especially now that more cruisers are using them.)

That said, I took the tram at about your time frame (4-4:30 pm) from the port to Sultanahmet and don't recall it being unusually full.

Is your friend able to get herself onto the tram? I don't think they are accessible for wheelchairs. I don't remember the specifics, but there may have been a step or two to get on, or at the least a broad gap between the tram and the waiting platform.

In the evenings I think they are less crowded. I ate dinner in Sultanahmet and took the tram back late-ish, around 9:30 or 10:00 and it was about 3/4 full (I could find a seat).

Have to agree with Cruisemom that we are not sure the Tram is an option for those in a WC. In that situation your best bet would probably be to use a taxi...in which case you do have to deal with the traffic delays.

You might try cross posting your question on the Special Interest Cruising/Disabled Cruise Travel board where you might get some first-hand info.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner