First time on RCL! Excited and have a few questions

So - first cruise booked on RCL! I'm traveling with my mom on Vision of the Seas on the 4-day cruise going from Miami to Cozumel over Memorial Day. Just booked today! We have previously been on three Carnival cruises and one Holland America cruise. Apologize for the cliched question - but what can we expect? Could people who've also been on the other lines elaborate what the differences are? Similarities? Good points, bad points?

Also, I had a couple of questions I was hoping all you RCL experts can answer :)

1) Does RCL allow early boarding? Our flight gets into FLL at 12:15 and since we only have carry ons, I think we can be out of the airport and at the cruise port by 12:45. Is that OK to board, although our cruise leaves at 4:30?

2) When are the cabins usually ready by on embarkation day? We are in a JS if that makes any difference (probably not). It would be nice to get unpacked and then go to lunch on the ship.

3) Are there a lot of tables for 2 in the main dining room? My mom and I will be meeting up for the cruise after a couple of months and we wanted to just hang out and chit chat, catch up on family stuff, etc. We'd love a table for 2 but are not sure if we can grab one since we booked late. We are in the 8:30 seating.

4) Do you have to reserve for shows or can you just show up?

5) Lastly, are most drinks, wine, etc. in the $7-10 category? Just trying to figure out how much I should budget.

Thanks in advance! We are excited to be trying a new cruise line and finally going on RCL! I know this is not a new ship but the RCL webt site said it has just been refurbished so it should look and feel pretty new :)

I would say you will be able to board the ship at that time. The cruises we've been in generally allow you to go to the cabins around 1:00.

Shows- on the smaller ships we've always just showed up. We just did FOS in Sept and the only show we had to do reservations for was the ice show.

Our family consisting of hubby, 3 young adult children and (now a SIL) we've been on RCI, NCL and Carnival and we all prefer RCI

Our reasons the food is better (On Carnival my hubby resorted to eating pizza at times which isn't his favorite food!) The shows are of better quality (Call me prudish but I don't like taking my family to a show that the girls are wearing G-strings not family viewing IMO!) More active things to do-just over all a higher quality!

I agree with tidygirl! for all the same reasons! We have not sailed on HAL, but have sailed 4 times on Carnival. We prefer RC over Carnival for all of the reasons already given.

It's wonderful that you and your mom are cruising together. Happy cruising!

So - first cruise booked on RCL! I'm traveling with my mom on Vision of the Seas on the 4-day cruise going from Miami to Cozumel over Memorial Day. Just booked today! We have previously been on three Carnival cruises and one Holland America cruise. Apologize for the cliched question - but what can we expect? Could people who've also been on the other lines elaborate what the differences are? Similarities? Good points, bad points?

Also, I had a couple of questions I was hoping all you RCL experts can answer :)

1) Does RCL allow early boarding? Our flight gets into FLL at 12:15 and since we only have carry ons, I think we can be out of the airport and at the cruise port by 12:45. Is that OK to board, although our cruise leaves at 4:30? Usually you can start boarding around 11:30am.

2) When are the cabins usually ready by on embarkation day? We are in a JS if that makes any difference (probably not). It would be nice to get unpacked and then go to lunch on the ship.

The cabins are usually available by 1:00-1:30pm. You can go to the Windjamer buffet for lunch as soon as you board.

3) Are there a lot of tables for 2 in the main dining room? My mom and I will be meeting up for the cruise after a couple of months and we wanted to just hang out and chit chat, catch up on family stuff, etc. We'd love a table for 2 but are not sure if we can grab one since we booked late. We are in the 8:30 seating. Don't know how many tables for two, but usually the late seating for the dining room is less crowded. If you don't like the table selection, you can eat dinner at the Windjammer. They put out a great spread for the buffet and there are a lot more tables than people.

4) Do you have to reserve for shows or can you just show up? Not sure about Vision, but most ships you just show up for theatre shows. The Vision is one of the smaller ships. I would suggest that you get to the theatre at least 30 minutes before show-time to ensure getting good seats together. The theatre is relatively small and fills quickly. Only ships with ice shows require reservations for a particuliar time.

5) Lastly, are most drinks, wine, etc. in the $7-10 category? Just trying to figure out how much I should budget. Yes, but all drinks go onto your Seapass which is charged to your credit card at the end of the cruise.

Thanks in advance! We are excited to be trying a new cruise line and finally going on RCL! I know this is not a new ship but the RCL webt site said it has just been refurbished so it should look and feel pretty new :)

You will have a great time..... My comments in red above.

Edited by edjny

Hope this helps, have a great time

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1944034

What to expect being new to RCI?

1. Shows in the centrum - this is the place for the 70's disco party and also the aerial acrobats show

2. Snacks at Cafe Lattetudes are free, only drinks are an extra charge

3. Park Cafe in the Solarium; avoid first day Windjammer mayhem and get to the Park Cafe before EVERYONE else finds it. Words out.

4. Expect one evening pool deck party

5. Some RCI passenger involvement shows; battle of the sexes, Quest (adult themed scavenger hunt)

6. Don't forget the Main Dining Room! Sea Day lunch on RCI is great in the dining room; large salad bar, you pick and a chef mixes it up for you and you also have regular table service with a full and delicious menu. They will have you in and out in 30 minutes if you want. Pay attention to the menus or ask servers, usually one day a cruise is a chocolate breakfast. On my last cruise I went to the Windjammer very little (and I really like the food there!) I just found it WAY nicer to be sitting in a less hectic environment, being served, and eating less bc I wasn't at the buffet...

7. You'll have a live orchestra backing the shows in the theater, and a band or duo up on the pool deck during the day

8. Even though Deck 5 promenade does not fully circle the ship, take a little bit of time for a tour of the ship; it's a pretty easy ship to navigate and makes a lot of sense to get around.

9. Be sure to visit the Viking Crown Lounge at least once; the views can be spectacular and it's RCI's signature ship feature.

3. Park Cafe in the Solarium; avoid first day Windjammer mayhem and get to the Park Cafe before EVERYONE else finds it. Words out.

I forgot to mention the Park Cafe. That is a great spot for breakfast or lunch. After we 'discovered' it on the Legend, that is where we ate most days for breakfast/lunch. Just have to keep in mind the hours that they serve those meals.

Great job signing up for your first cruise! Be sure to register at the Loyalty desk for Crown and Anchor status!

Not sure about a table for two in the MDR. At breakfast, they often try to sit you with others at large tables. But we've never asked. We enjoy meeting new people.

I assumed tables for two were reserved for Diamond Plus and higher.

On the Independence, we got a table of four, and next to us was a table for two. The couple next to us said they had been kicked off another table. And on night two, another couple joined us because they'd been kicked off their table. I think they leave some gaps here and there.

On our last few cruises, we skip the Windjammer on embarkation day and head to Sorrentos, Park Cafe, etc., because it's so much quieter. If you eat in Windjammer, find a table and have one of you sit while the other gets food. Be at the Windjammer when they open and you should be able to get a good seat next to a window.

Don't worry, if you end up with a larger table, you and your mother will have plenty of places to chat elsewhere during your cruise!

Thanks so much to all you for your helpful replies! Tons of great info and much appreciated! I will definitely email the dining group 2 weeks before and request a table for 2. And the tip about the Park Cafe is great!

I'm really glad to hear how much you all like RCL. We actually really liked the food on both Carnival and HAL (dining rooms and specialty restaurants, not the Lido) and its great to hear how good the food will be on RCL as well. I had read that last year all the menus on RCL were upgraded. And we are looking forward to seeing some of the shows. We always wanted to try RCL, but so far Carnival and HAL always seemed to have the best itineraries for us, so I'm happy this one worked out.

To request a table for 2 you can e mail your request to rcldining@rccl.com about 2-3 weeks prior to your sail date. Make sure that you include your name, ship sail date and reservation number.

This is the best way to find a table for 2. It has worked for us 2 of 2 times! Also, on embarkation day, during the day (just like on Carnival), you can see the Maitr'D in the Main Dining room to see where you are seated. Enjoy!

To the OP, I believe Vision sails out of Fort Lauderdale, not Miami

Oh yes, you are right! I must have been tired typing in Miami, its Fort Lauderdale we are leaving from. I almost had a fit when I saw your email and quickly double checked to make sure we have the right flights, which we do. Phew!:)

There have been stories here of people getting mixed up and going to the wrong port.

But your arrival time at FLL and the time to the ship is consistent with sailing with Fort Lauderdale, not Miami.

This is the best way to find a table for 2. It has worked for us 2 of 2 times! Also, on embarkation day, during the day (just like on Carnival), you can see the Maitr'D in the Main Dining room to see where you are seated. Enjoy!

We get a table for 4 and our boys usually don't come. That's a great way to get a table for 2 with lots of room for multiple apps.

OP- Just for fun, you can start seeing Vision from portevergladeswebcam.com beginning April 14 when she arrives from her repo cruise.

Today, you can see her on the Aruba port cam which is through the same website.

Have fun!

Hmmm! Here's where I'm coming from...on our first cruise ever which was on HAL, we had a bad experience with flex dining. We were put at tables behind pillars unfailingly, and service was very bad, also unfailingly - rushed, inattentive, etc. After 3 days, we spoke to the concierge lounge (we were in a suite) and got switched to late dining. We got an awesome table and seriously great service the four remaining nights! Ever since then, we've opted for late dining on cruises and always had a good experience.

In your collective experiences - how does RCL handle flex dining? Also, if we don't get a table for 2 in fixed dining, can we switch to flex last minute? Or would it make sense to switch now in case it sells out later?

Hmmm! Here's where I'm coming from...on our first cruise ever which was on HAL, we had a bad experience with flex dining. We were put at tables behind pillars unfailingly, and service was very bad, also unfailingly - rushed, inattentive, etc. After 3 days, we spoke to the concierge lounge (we were in a suite) and got switched to late dining. We got an awesome table and seriously great service the four remaining nights! Ever since then, we've opted for late dining on cruises and always had a good experience.

In your collective experiences - how does RCL handle flex dining? Also, if we don't get a table for 2 in fixed dining, can we switch to flex last minute? Or would it make sense to switch now in case it sells out later?

I can't directly answer your question but I can share that our experience with traditional second seating on RCCL has been excellent. Unlike other lines they will often have the main show before dinner for second seating guests. So instead of dinner then show it's show then dinner.

This works for us as we tend to not want to stay up late. But early seating is just too early. And we like the same table/waiter each night. I know you can get that with my time but based on what I've read here it's not always smooth.

In our experience with many, many sailings, we got tired of having to eat with, I shall put it as gracefully as possible, less than stellar table mates. We switched to MTD on Royal and Select on Celebrity. We have had nothing but wonderful experiences with both. Generally the MTD is held in an upper level of the MDR, so you can see the singing waiters, etc.

If you are shown to a table you don't like, simply ask for a different one.

When we have had a great serving team, we ask for their table every night. I think once or twice we had to wait no more than 10 minutes. The staff knew our preferences, just like at traditional dining and we had a lovely meal. Service is much faster at MTD because you don't have to wait for everyone else to get to table. The food is the same.

I'll never go back to traditional seating.

I know you can get that with my time but based on what I've read here it's not always smooth.

On several different sailings, it's been very smooth. The DR captain will try to seat you with the same team every night. The team likes it because they can get extra gratuities just like the traditional seating teams.

We usually tip the team extra at the end of the cruise as well as the DR captain for recognizing our preferences

With MTD, you eat when you choose so if you have a long day on shore you don't have to worry about getting back in time. If you have an earlier day and want to dine earlier, you can.

Having just returned from an Azamara Club cruise where all seating is open, I have to say that Royal and Celebrity do it decidedly better. I did one NCL cruise with the open seating and that's what Azamara reminded me of---dropped trays et al.

I'm happy with my MTD two-top tables.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

I can't speak from personal experience but there's been several posts on this board about troubles with MTD.

And with late seating we're never rushed to get back from port, and if we are hungry earlier we can get a snack. In fact another reason we like late seating is that when we did early seating it was a challenge to be hungry at dinner time!

Part of it also may be that we're on Mountain Time, so 8 is really 6 for us.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to report back on the dining question. I sent an email day before yesterday to the RCL dining email address previously posted and heard back from Christine at RCL who said she would follow up with the ship. She emailed me again today to say we were assigned a table for 2, and near the window! I'm so pleased - on Carnival ships, they don't have any small tables next to windows, so I had assumed we'd be in the middle of the dining room somewhere.

Getting super excited now for the cruise! Although its only a 4-nighter, it'll be fun to get a taste of the RCL experience and maybe, plan to book a longer cruise if we like it. Thanks to everyone for the tip about the dining email!

To be honest, that's why we booked her. We were looking for a short 3-4 day getaway over Memorial Day, and initially thought we'd go back to Cancun or Playa del Carmen at one of our favorite all-inclusive resorts. Everything was sooo expensive, flights plus hotels were crazy. So we started looking at cruises and got such a great deal on this one! There were other 3-4 nighters (Princess had a couple), but it was so tempting to go on a ship that had just been refurbished. As good as going on a new ship!:D