Pinnacle question, please

To the Pinnacle members out there: Do you often get complimentary upgrades? We, D+, were recently upgraded from GS to an OS on NOS. Since there were several Pinnacles on board, I wondered why we got the upgrade instead of a Pinnacle. Then I thought maybe all the Pinnacles were already upgraded. So what is the reality, please?

To the Pinnacle members out there: Do you often get complimentary upgrades? We, D+, were recently upgraded from GS to an OS on NOS. Since there were several Pinnacles on board, I wondered why we got the upgrade instead of a Pinnacle. Then I thought maybe all the Pinnacles were already upgraded. So what is the reality, please?

Come to think of it, since we made PC, calls from the Upgrade Fairy have been more frequent. :D:eek:

Congrats on that upgrade! That gives hope to the rest of us!! :D

At least there is hope of one day getting an upgrade. We've never gotten one that we didn't have to call in and ask for due to price fluctuations. Only 500-ish points to go! :D

I've been on four cruises since reaching Pinnacle in mid January and have received no upgrades. I never expected them anyway.

That's cause you still a "probee"!!:D Like you we don't expect them either, but that phone call is sure nice when it does happen.

At least there is hope of one day getting an upgrade. We've never gotten one that we didn't have to call in and ask for due to price fluctuations. Only 500-ish points to go! :D

We're received on upgrade a D1 to a JS.

We're in the same boat on points...yes, pun intended!!! :D

About 450 points to go...not gonna happen. :(

We had more upgrades under the old program. C&A used to be able to upgrade out of existing inventory 2 weeks ahead of the cruise, and one could often call and get an upgrade. Now it seems that the revenue department does the lion's share of the upgrading. We've been upgraded twice since the new program was implemented. But we also book JS most of the time, and RCI seems to sell out most of the full suites on the sailings that we've been with the need for upgrading anybody.

Regardless of whether you are pinnacle or diamond plus, the other thing to take into account is the state room category that you book. The odds of getting an upgrade diminish further up the state room category that you book. For example, the best upgrade chance would be to book an ocean view accommodation since there are so many balcony accommodations that statistically would have the best chance of not being full closer to sale date. However that diminishes for example when you book a Junior suite hoping to get a complementary upgrade to grand suites, simply because there are a much smaller number of suites available and usually those are full at the time of sailing.

As many have already said on here, book the accommodation that you would want at the price that makes you happy. Do not depend on an upgrade to get the accommodation that you wish to sail in during your cruise vacation. Any upgrade should be a bonus.

Did you get double points or stayed at single points because you original paid for a D1 statement?

I just looked at my cruise history....it was before the number of nights cruise conversion.

We received 3 points, two for the JS and one for a cruise 12 nights or longer.

We're received on upgrade a D1 to a JS.

We're in the same boat on points...yes, pun intended!!! :D

About 450 points to go...not gonna happen. :(

If you get upgraded to suite level do you still get double the points?

Just wondering for the future:D

Ignore

Missed the post a couple up! (And I'm only on my first glass of wine;))

Edited by Spurschick

I've been on four cruises since reaching Pinnacle in mid January and have received no upgrades. I never expected them anyway.

I don't mean this to sound like a stupid question but have you had the emails about upgrade preferences?

I have a couple of upcoming trips and received an email asking me to log in and confirm my upgrade preferences (I'm D+ by the way still cruising to pinnacle:D)

Anyway logged in and it said The info would be verified and I would receive an email. About one week later got the exact same email, redid as I had not had the confirmation email. Another week passed and exact same thing. In the end I rang C&A and explained the emails and that it said I would be contacted once info verified, but after several attempts nothing.

The very nice lady asked me a bunch of questions regarding all my preference, welcome aboard gift etc. she then said I was good to go. We will see what happens. Unfortunately not seeing much available above what we have booked on either of our upcoming sailings;(

Good luck

Congratulations on the upgrade!

We gave up all hope of ever getting an upgrade, we always get what we pay for: the balcony we have booked.

Still 302 points to go for P but do not count on reaching Pinnacle as we always have to fly out (from Europe) to catch the cruise and that limits the amount of cruises we can do. I wonder if they ever upgrade European bookings? So far none of our travelling companions have ever received one.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Congratulations on the upgrade!

We gave up all hope of ever getting an upgrade, we always get what we pay for: the balcony we have booked.

Still 302 points to go for P but do not count on reaching Pinnacle as we always have to fly out (from Europe) to catch the cruise and that limits the amount of cruises we can do. I wonder if they ever upgrade European bookings? So far none of our travelling companions have ever received one.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We received an upgrade from a JS to an OS on Voyager out of Barcelona