I'm sure this question has never been asked...

doc47

The wife and I are gold level folks on board the Voyager for the 27 day trip from Rome to Stockholm beginning in mid-May. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on board.

She is a classical music fan, and always wanted to learn to play the cello. Last year I got her a cello for her birthday, and she has been taking weekly lessons ever since. She practices everyday.

Since taking her cello on the cruise is not feasible, she is concerned that she will lose whatever skill she has picked up while we are gone.

I thought a pretty cool anniversary gift would be to have a practice cello on board for her so she could practice from time to time. Anyone here have thoughts on how to make that happen? I have never seen a cello on board any of our past cruises. I have no idea if such a gift is even possible without spending a fortune.

Be sure to get your TA involved. If that is not helpful I would go directly to the folks in Miami and find out about the performing groups and what they might have available.

TBH her skill level may be important. I would think RSSC might try to help you out if she is ready to do a mini performance. JMG, but it makes for a better story:)

Give it a TRY!

Call Regent base in Miami if TA can't do anything.

(It would be a lot easier if she took up flute.)

Here's to a HAPPY and MUSICAL anniversary!

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by TedC

Either our neighbors were quiet I don't recall any sound from adjacent suites on any Regent cruises!

Cello is a mellow instrument - softer than adjacent suites TV!

My son played 'cello for over 10 years to tertiary level and I think he will again for pleasure when his current university schedule is a bit quieter - we still have two quality instruments at home. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know but cellos are fragile instruments affected greatly by changes in humidity and temperature - particularly when it happens suddenly. Any professional performers will have many $0000's invested in their instruments and bows and would be unlikely to share as there would be insurance issues and another person playing may affect their unique set up. Ad hoc availability would be similar for the reasons above. My son had to take his (cheaper) instrument to Hawaii once for an international youth festival, and despite the best of care, it required quite a bit of work to get it back to normal when he returned.

On a more positive note, my son's 'cello playing was interrupted a few times - once for over three months - due to extended family holidays or other school trips and frankly he was quickly back to his previous capability within a week or two. Yes, youth was on his side, but clearly you wife has managed a level of proficiency is a short time, and I'm confident this will return. Our discussions with teachers and other students at the time of our extended holiday confirmed this. I hope your wife has much fun with this wonderful instrument.:)

The wife and I are gold level folks on board the Voyager for the 27 day trip from Rome to Stockholm beginning in mid-May. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary on board.

She is a classical music fan, and always wanted to learn to play the cello. Last year I got her a cello for her birthday, and she has been taking weekly lessons ever since. She practices everyday.

Since taking her cello on the cruise is not feasible, she is concerned that she will lose whatever skill she has picked up while we are gone.

I thought a pretty cool anniversary gift would be to have a practice cello on board for her so she could practice from time to time. Anyone here have thoughts on how to make that happen? I have never seen a cello on board any of our past cruises. I have no idea if such a gift is even possible without spending a fortune.

Doc,

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary. I might be biased, but Voyager from Rome to Stockholm sounds like the perfect place to spend it. Appears from your post that your bride has in fact fallen in love again; with the cello. Although we do not have a cello onboard, we will figure out how to get one to your suite so that she can spend her anniversary with both of her loved ones. All I ask is that you take a picture or two and send it our way....

All The Best-

KSK

Doc,

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary. I might be biased, but Voyager from Rome to Stockholm sounds like the perfect place to spend it. Appears from your post that your bride has in fact fallen in love again; with the cello. Although we do not have a cello onboard, we will figure out how to get one to your suite so that she can spend her anniversary with both of her loved ones. All I ask is that you take a picture or two and send it our way....

All The Best-

KSK

What a lovely response from President Kamlani. Well done.

Doc,

All The Best-

KSK

Doc,

I think it's wonderful that Mr. Kamlani will be able to get a cello onboard for your wife to practice on. However, since I'm sure you and your wife would never think of disturbing your suite neighbors, please ensure that your wife does not practice the cello in your suite. Sounds from one suite can be heard in adjacent suites. On our recent Voyager cruise from Hong Kong to Beijing, we could clearly hear our neighbors' voices when they spoke on the telephone or were having a discussion. I'm sure the ship will be able to arrange a suitable practice location for your wife.

Enjoy your cruise and your anniversary.

Doc,

I think it's wonderful that Mr. Kamlani will be able to get a cello onboard for your wife to practice on. However, since I'm sure you and your wife would never think of disturbing your suite neighbors, please ensure that your wife does not practice the cello in your suite. Sounds from one suite can be heard in adjacent suites. On our recent Voyager cruise from Hong Kong to Beijing, we could clearly hear our neighbors' voices when they spoke on the telephone or were having a discussion. I'm sure the ship will be able to arrange a suitable practice location for your wife.

Enjoy your cruise and your anniversary.

iT'S A MELLOW CELLO - NOT DRUMS OR BRASS !

This is an amazing solution to what I could only see as an impossible problem - good to see magic works sometimes. Well done Mr Kamlani!. A normal suite would be really too small to practice in; the balcony at a pinch, but there are multiple other suitable spaces. What is more, some of the very talented musicians on board may have the skills to give your wife a few tips - we found they loved talking music and often had multiple instrumental disciplines - and of course music crosses all language barriers. They may also have spare music stands she could use, and perhaps help with the fine tuning and adjustments the different weather conditions will necessitate.

Given it's your SILVER wedding anniversary, a silver mounted cello bow could make a very special present as a permanent keepsake:) And you must share the pics!

How about an electric cello? You see them used in rock bands that are using bowed strings more and more and have to travel from city to city. On stage they are amplified. I'll bet they have a headphone jack. And the electric ones are much more compact than the wood ones.

I am overwhelmed by the kind words on this thread and by Mr. Kamlani's generosity. It is a reminder why we love sailing with the Regent family. When I talk to my friends about the Regent experience, one of the things I always tell them it's that Regent does not have the words no, don't,won't, or can't in its vocabulary.

P.S. I guarantee she will not play that cello in our suite! :)

Congrats on your 25th anniversary and what a wonderful surprise for your wife. She is married to a truly thoughtful husband. How special that Regent is making this possible. This will truly be an anniversary and cruise to remember. Another reason to love Regent...not that I need any more.:)

Congrats on your 25th anniversary and what a wonderful surprise for your wife. She is married to a truly thoughtful husband. How special that Regent is making this possible. This will truly be an anniversary and cruise to remember. Another reason to love Regent...not that I need any more.:)

Extremely true about the very thoughtful husband. And it seems that Regent has a very thoughtful (and caring) President. Well done Mr. Kamlani!