Should I have LOWER expectations with RCCL?

Just got off my first RCCL cruise (5-day Tampa Brilliance of the Seas) and I was DISAPPOINTED. I've cruised with Carnival, NCL, Princess, and HAL...and had HIGH expectations for RCCL. But now I'm wondering if all RC cruises are this bad or if I just chose an itinerary/ship that doesn't represent the rest of the fleet????

Here are some instances of what I mean when I say I feel dupped/disappointed:

- balcony cabin did not have a bathtub, bathrobe, slippers, wine or champagne glasses; counterspace and shower was small

- no 'extras', like popcorn for the movie theater, midnite buffets, chocolate extravagnas, or lobster on formal night (lobster now costs $30 in the MDR!); instead free lobster was served on the night that we spent in Cozumel (I'm guessing they were hoping that guests would be too drunk/sunburnt to go to the MDR on this night instead of the formal night?)

- no trays in the buffet so that you can't carry multiple plates/bowls/cups...(again, I'm guessing they are trying to stifle peoples' temptations to take too much food and make them make several trips to the buffet)

- no food around the clock (even Carnival has a 24-hour pizza service!)...now they even charge you a $4 service fee if you order room service (if you can even find the menu, which is now buried in a book in the vanity!) during the night (12-5am). At 3pm, there is no open buffet line--instead they have a limited food line that serves a few sandwiches/desserts/salad/fruit....if you have the midday munchies, you will have to wait in a long line with everyone else!

- After signing up for MyTime reservations, I discovered on the first night that I still needed a reservation! This was not clear when I booked the cruise!

- 4 different restaurants that you have to pay for ranging $20-70/pp. I really don't think you should have to pay $20 extra to eat Italian food on a cruise ship!

- activities were...lame. Each night I received the cruise compass, I was not impressed with the next day's planned activities...a lot of trivia sessions and not much else free...everything else had a $ next to it (wine tastings, beer tastings, bingo, blackjack, etc.) I was disappointed that they did not have a galley tour, and it was only on the last day that I found out from a 'loyal royal' that they do the tour, but they don't advertise it....seriously? Is that a snob thing not to advertise what they offer to ALL their guests?

- most nights, there was only 1 showtime for the comedian or juggler...

It has been 2 years since I last cruised on Holland (Alaska and a Christmas Caribbean--both awesome!)--are all cruise lines tightening the belt or have I just been spoiled by Holland? I'm curious and would love to hear your thoughts...TIA!

I was disappointed with my last cruise so much so that I've decided to try a different line next year!!

The mytime dining was a massive disappointment for us - to me the whole point is to be able to have dinner when you feel like it even if you have to wait for a table! We ended up having reservations every night and half the time ended up cancelling as we didn't feel like eating at the time :(

Also on that cruise we felt the food had went downhill dramatically since our last cruise - choices were not as good or portion sizes, never had a decently cooked piece of beef the entire cruise it was either still mooing or so well done I couldn't cut it!

Three year ago I came home raving about our first cruise and how great it was but unfortunately not any more. I thought we'd be cruising RCI for many years to come but unless we find other lines are even worse I doubt we'll be back!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise. That being said basic research would have set you up for much more realistic expectations. I am not trying to be rude but if there were certain things you expected I am surprised you did not check to ensure that you would receive these things when you booked.

I have added some thoughts in your original for each point made.

Again I am not trying to be rude but I am a realist. If you go expecting the world your dreams are likely to be broken. Go expecting nothing and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck picking better suited ships in the future.:)

Just got off my first RCCL cruise (5-day Tampa Brilliance of the Seas) and I was DISAPPOINTED. I've cruised with Carnival, NCL, Princess, and HAL...and had HIGH expectations for RCCL. But now I'm wondering if all RC cruises are this bad or if I just chose an itinerary/ship that doesn't represent the rest of the fleet????

- balcony cabin did not have a bathtub, bathrobe, slippers, wine or champagne glasses; counterspace and shower was small

basic research would have told you no bathtub in anything under a suite. Bathrobe, slippers, wine not going to happen unless you are high level of C&A

- no 'extras', like popcorn for the movie theater, midnite buffets, chocolate extravagnas, or lobster on formal night (lobster now costs $30 in the MDR!); instead free lobster was served on the night that we spent in Cozumel (I'm guessing they were hoping that guests would be too drunk/sunburnt to go to the MDR on this night instead of the formal night?)

A question to the waiter at the start of the cruise could have clarified which night was lobster night. Yes they have cut back, we have learned to adapt to it. Some ships don't offer at all.

- no trays in the buffet so that you can't carry multiple plates/bowls/cups...(again, I'm guessing they are trying to stifle peoples' temptations to take too much food and make them make several trips to the buffet)

There REALLy also isn't enough space at a table for all those plates either. If you eat in a restaurant you don't sit with several plates in front of you. You receive food course by course. Just because it's a buffet, no hardship to make a return visit. If you are unable to carry because of carrying for other people that can not carry themselves a waiter will always assist you if asked.

- no food around the clock (even Carnival has a 24-hour pizza service!)...now they even charge you a $4 service fee if you order room service (if you can even find the menu, which is now buried in a book in the vanity!) during the night (12-5am). At 3pm, there is no open buffet line--instead they have a limited food line that serves a few sandwiches/desserts/salad/fruit....if you have the midday munchies, you will have to wait in a long line with everyone else!

The menu is available on the in stateroom tv. Yes there is a late night charge which is overcome bale by placing order 20 minutes or so before the fee time kicks in. It is very rare for anyone to want cooked food that late. To cook for one person on a ship or to keep food fresh and readily prepared that late at night is a logistical nightmare.

- After signing up for MyTime reservations, I discovered on the first night that I still needed a reservation! This was not clear when I booked the cruise!

Agree it gets very busy the first night, and that is not always conveyed well to those who don't know the procedures as well.

- 4 different restaurants that you have to pay for ranging $20-70/pp. I really don't think you should have to pay $20 extra to eat Italian food on a cruise ship!

You don't have to pay if you don't want to. It is optional.

- activities were...lame. Each night I received the cruise compass, I was not impressed with the next day's planned activities...a lot of trivia sessions and not much else free...everything else had a $ next to it (wine tastings, beer tastings, bingo, blackjack, etc.) I was disappointed that they did not have a galley tour, and it was only on the last day that I found out from a 'loyal royal' that they do the tour, but they don't advertise it....seriously? Is that a snob thing not to advertise what they offer to ALL their guests?

It is limited to approx 100 to 150 guests per cruise for security reasons. Higher levels and suites get first option. I have seen it advertised for sale in a cruise compass from time to time.oh and it's around $150 per person.

Yes if it is a guest entertainer sometimes there is only one show due to sailing time, what port you have been to that day etc.and other activities going on elsewhere on the ship.

It has been 2 years since I last cruised on Holland (Alaska and a Christmas Caribbean--both awesome!)--are all cruise lines tightening the belt or have I just been spoiled by Holland? I'm curious and would love to hear your thoughts...TIA![

Edited by Spurschick
Addition

We did mytime dining on our two cruises previous and never had issues with having to make reservations, the system clearly doesn't work as well on the larger ships :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

I was on this cruise too and we were also disappointed with the activities. Most nights there was just the main show and nothing else planned at all besides a trivia game here or there or a musician in the centrum/bars. The most exciting activity to us was drinking in the pub and watching March Madness games! And when there were things planned, they planned a lot of them at the same times. We're Emerald members so this obviously isn't our first cruise, but by far the most disappointing for activities.

1. Anything less then 7 days you r not guaranteed lobster so that ends that topic

2. I understand about the trivia but I play sports and this class still has a half court and I played crew vs passengers in volleyball and dodgeball on the Seranade and kept active in the gym, book a ship that fits your lifestyle

3. Balcony does not have a bathtub only jr suite and up on RCI and slippers just something that I guess you like

4. I understand about the good old days and midnight buffets and chocolate fountains but honestly after midnight I am in bed and so is 80% of the passengers on RCI, this is not carnival the party ship

5. Windjammer as it is can be combat eating so giving people more and bigger weapons like a tray is not a good idea, I have seen many many people run into each other with just a plates looking for seating.

6. This is your first cruise with RCI and the best advice is to post questions about a certain ship before you sail rather then get surprised when you board, example knowing that my time dining has to have a set time

7. As far as gambling and expecting that free, that's not going to happen on any line

8. Galley tour is FREE I am diamond plus and my drinks in the lounge and ship tours are free so like everything else loyalty to a line pays dividends

Summary- yes ships are in a price war with each other and with rising costs so a lot of things like specialty restaurants and bingo, alcohol packages, excursions are helping but cruisers want the lowest price and now the prices are extremely low on some of these RCI sailings but watch what u ask for because the extras have gone away with the cut rate fares. You can choose a lot of us are looking more at celebrity so we get our perks from being diamond and above and we pay more for the cruise but we get some more of those extras with that higher cruise fare.

Cruise critic is a place to come BEFORE you book and the knowledge should help you get the cruise you want but it may be more expensive to get the amenities you desire.

I am not a RCI clone I have close to 100 days on one ship alone but the last 7 last month on that ship was the worst so it happens but a lot of your requests are not going to happen on a 5 day cruise.

Quantum has 24/7 in the windjammer but again take a look at their cost so it goes back to one phrase [ you get what you pay for]

1. Anything less then 7 days you r not guaranteed lobster so that ends that topic

2. I understand about the trivia but I play sports and this class still has a half court and I played crew vs passengers in volleyball and dodgeball on the Seranade and kept active in the gym, book a ship that fits your lifestyle

3. Balcony does not have a bathtub only jr suite and up on RCI and slippers just something that I guess you like

4. I understand about the good old days and midnight buffets and chocolate fountains but honestly after midnight I am in bed and so is 80% of the passengers on RCI, this is not carnival the party ship

5. Windjammer as it is can be combat eating so giving people more and bigger weapons like a tray is not a good idea, I have seen many many people run into each other with just a plates looking for seating.

6. This is your first cruise with RCI and the best advice is to post questions about a certain ship before you sail rather then get surprised when you board, example knowing that my time dining has to have a set time

7. As far as gambling and expecting that free, that's not going to happen on any line

8. Galley tour is FREE I am diamond plus and my drinks in the lounge and ship tours are free so like everything else loyalty to a line pays dividends

Summary- yes ships are in a price war with each other and with rising costs so a lot of things like specialty restaurants and bingo, alcohol packages, excursions are helping but cruisers want the lowest price and now the prices are extremely low on some of these RCI sailings but watch what u ask for because the extras have gone away with the cut rate fares. You can choose a lot of us are looking more at celebrity so we get our perks from being diamond and above and we pay more for the cruise but we get some more of those extras with that higher cruise fare.

Cruise critic is a place to come BEFORE you book and the knowledge should help you get the cruise you want but it may be more expensive to get the amenities you desire.

I am not a RCI clone I have close to 100 days on one ship alone but the last 7 last month on that ship was the worst so it happens but a lot of your requests are not going to happen on a 5 day cruise.

Quantum has 24/7 in the windjammer but again take a look at their cost so it goes back to one phrase [ you get what you pay for]

I agree with your sentiments. I only mentioned the fee for the tour as it is available for a fee for those not in GS or above or diamond or above. I agree diamond or higher and GS and above get the option of tours free and depends on the ship. At the time I posted I overlooked the op was only on a 5 night cruise and I think (if I am correct) there is less availability for tours on shorter cruises.

I suggest that the OP take a cruise on the previously cruised lines and she will see some differences. All of those cruise lines have added fee based specialty dining venues. Trays in the buffets are becoming a thing of the last.

Carnival and NCL do not have bathtubs in standard cabins. Which cruise lines still offer midnight buffets? No one that I know of.

I think the OP would probably be happy looking at some of the luxury lines.

We did My Time Dining on the Allure last week. We did not make reservations. There was a line for those with reservations and one for those without. Our line was seated much more quickly. Granted you may not get the same table or waitstaff each night. We asked for specific waitstaff and were given. Never waited more than ten minutes

We did My Time Dining on the Allure last week. We did not make reservations. There was a line for those with reservations and one for those without. Our line was seated much more quickly. Granted you may not get the same table or waitstaff each night. We asked for specific waitstaff and were given. Never waited more than ten minutes

We had the same experience last October on the Allure. No wait; just a few minutes time to coordinate your request with a specific waitstaff or seating arrangement. We always felt they were trying to cater to our preferences. There were supervisors monitoring the situation in each section of MTD to make sure everyone was seated and serviced in an prompt, orderly way. I found some of the servers actually more friendly and eager to provide info about the nightly entertainment so you were not late for shows.

We also went on a 5 day on NOS a few years ago, and must admit to feeling underwhelmed. We are going on an 8 day in 2015 on IOS. Is there a big difference (outside of the obvious!) when it is a longer cruise?

I can´t speak for CCL and HAL as I have not cruised on them, but I´ve been on RCI, NCL, Princess and a few others.

I will adress down below....

With a Little Research you would have known about your stateroom having no bathtub. You will have to look long and hard on any mass market cruise line to find a bathtub in anything other than suites. However it´s an easy Thing to find out beforehand if there is a tub or shower. Princess does not have them in balcony cabins either. Showers are never really spacy. Bathrobes on RCI come with C&A Status and/or Suite Levels. Wine and champagne glasses could have been ordered. Obviously YMMV but out of all ships/lines I´ve cruised on RCI (with the exemption of Oasis class) has the best laid out cabins with the most storage and counterspace.

Short Cruises can be hit or miss in regards to lobster. Midnight buffets are just a Thing of the past These days on most lines.

I haven´t seen a tray on any line in a Long time. Princess definitely has no trays either, can´t quite remember about NCL.

Can´t comment, as I sleep at night.

While Reservation is recommended it´s not needed. You can go without a Reservation, but there might be a wait to be seated.

You mentioned NCL, so you should be used to pay for Restaurants. Princess has those restaurnts as well. I think most ships have it These days. I must have missed something though, as I don´t know which one costs $70pp:confused: However nobody Forces you to go there and if you don´t you have the same choices you had before. Up to now None of those specialty Restaurants have taken away a free Option that was there before.

Where would you get wine tasting/beer tasting/Bingo /blackjack for free?:confused: I´ve never seen a lack of activities, but if they would be my or your choice is a very personal matter, just like taste of Food. I guess you can´t please all.

They offer a behind the Scene tour for $150 which includes amongst other stuff a look into the galley.

Galley and Bridge tours are offered to Suite guests and higher Level C&A members, but sometimes they are offered for all as well. If they are they have always been mentioned in the cruise compass on my saillings.

It has been 2 years since I last cruised on Holland (Alaska and a Christmas Caribbean--both awesome!)--are all cruise lines tightening the belt or have I just been spoiled by Holland? I'm curious and would love to hear your thoughts...TIA!

I would say you should have informed yourself better about the cruise you booked, like stateroom amenities. It seems like your Cruises have been some years ago and yes cruising is constantly changing on all the lines.

As it has been said before you might want to look into luxury lines, but even then you Need to do your Research beforehand to know what you are buying into. The information is all out there.

I was on this cruise dec 16th It was my first cruise and I loved it. Loved the food, dancing in the atrium. Even saw waiters dancing to the song Celebration. It was a blast. All the seniors like myself fast dancing to 60's music. :D

We have some friends that are loyal to HAL. They were not happy last cruise with some of the cutbacks they saw last trip a bit over 12 months ago, and have been doing non cruise trips the last few times. Unfortunately for some, the expectation is not what they get.

Some of the things like the bath and food options are very much talked about here, and you don't appear to have posted much since the 2011 cruise, so possibly you haven't been well informed.

Did you book through a travel agent? Did they give you any ideas on what your booking would be paying for? Sounds like you may have to lower your expectations if they are totally away from what the standards actually are for the price you pay. If you booked direct, the websites do have cabin plans etc and info about many of the things you found disappointing.

I don't think RCCL is better or worse than any of those other cruise lines. In my opinion all in the same category. All have had cut backs and forgive me if I am wrong you haven't cruised in two years? You would notice cutbacks in all I am sure. Anyway...have you given Disney a try? Its not just for kids you know. Even though I still consider it a main stream cruise line to me it is just more...but again...you will also pay more for it.

I would not give up on RCCL. Perhaps get a suite next time? Or try MSC yacht club. i hear that is fantastic. Luxury lines are going to be a huge cost increase but it you can afford it...go for it!

Someone mentioned Disney as a line to try. They do have tubs even in the lowest inside rooms. Have stayed in an inside and a balcony. Tubs same size in both, extremely child sized. It would be a cramped bath for most adults.

Having cruised twice on Disney, without children, it truly isn't just for children. The times we've cruised were for a May cruise (8 day) and a Panama Canal cruise (14 day). Neither had very many kids due to the time of the year we cruised. Also, they offer activities that are strictly for adults, with no children allowed, and it is enforced. Saw a mom be told her child could not stay during an adult only activity, and no backing down from the cruise ship employee.

Disney offerings:

1. There are no casinos on board.

2.Had one late night exhibition of desserts. Had ice sculptures and desserts that were not the ordinary ones at dinner.

3. Offered a late night pirate night / fireworks show with a buffet that followed. This was on both cruises.

4. An adults only area which included an adult only pool and coffee house. Really a nice area.

5. Offered pizza until around 11:00 or 12 midnight. One lounge offered some snacks, but room service would have been the only option for late night eating.

Disney does offer a nice cruise, however, like all things Disney, one will pay for it! ;) We just happen to hit a time when there was a huge price drop. Had a great time on both cruises; and if the price was right, I would definitely cruise DL again.

The one difference I found between the two cruises was that the length offered more variety in the activities which just seems like common sense. With a five day as the OP went on, maybe the mentality is different for what to offer passengers on board. The thinking may be that most just want a little R&R rather than scurrying off to activities on a shorter cruise.

No attack on the OP. Hope they find a cruise line that fits their needs. It's why there are many lines out there. :)

I agree with your sentiments. I only mentioned the fee for the tour as it is available for a fee for those not in GS or above or diamond or above. I agree diamond or higher and GS and above get the option of tours free and depends on the ship. At the time I posted I overlooked the op was only on a 5 night cruise and I think (if I am correct) there is less availability for tours on shorter cruises.

I did not know that a tour was free to those in GS or higher. I may try take advantage of this on our next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app