Norwegian Spirit or Island Princess to Mediterranean

We can't decide which ship to book for a 12 night trip to Mediterranean & Venice. The Norwegian is almost half the price of the Princess ship but the itinerary is the same. What am I missing here?:confused:

I just went on my first Princess cruise and frankly, I don't think I would ever pick NCL over Princess. Are you sure there aren't any other options.....RCI, Celebrity, Holland America?

I haven't been on the new Princess ship but have been on quite a few of their other ships. We are approaching our 23 rd cruise in a few weeks and have been on a lot of different cruise lines. I say this because after trying so many,some were ok and some we loved more. We really enjoyed every cruise on Princess. Now you might think at this point I'm going to be a Princess advocate,but have patience here with me!! Last April we were scheduled to be on the 14 day newly refurbished Carnival Sunshine on its inaugural cruise out of Venice to Barcelona. We had planned this trip for about 6 months. Three weeks before the trip,with non refundable air, hotels on each end and slots of DIY tour companies booked ,Carnival cancelled because the ship wouldn't be ready in time. We had to start over and be ready to go with a complete redo in a short period because of DH vacation time . The only ship that kind of had the dates we needed and basically the same itinerary (of course backwards-left from Barcelona and ended in Venice-don't get me started on redoing air plans!) was NCL Spirit. Of all our cruises we had never done NCL. We had always heard a lot of Negative comments on there food in the MDR and how people felt to get a good meal you had to go to a pay restaurant. We usually try the pay restaurants,but didn't want to eat 14 days in them. Ye, we had to go with this to salvage our vacation. This was going to be our third Med trip and you know what…??!! We LOVED everything on this ship! The food was great-no better or worse than on Princess. The service fantastic. We had a wonderful balcony cabin that was clean and spacious.Great entertainment,pools and plenty of activities if you wanted them. We ate in a few pay restaurants. Some we loved,others weren't as good,but we went because we wanted to,not because we had to. 24 hour buffet.Afternoon crepes!(ok,I admit we are foodies).There is a place on the ship that has a window where you can watch the Bridge and watch the Captain and his team work. We would watch from this spot as the ship would leave the port.After we had cleared the area the captain would come out and talk to the passengers that were watching (If you choose this ship try to do this one day). Our trip was going to go through the Straights of Messina and then past Mount Stromboli (an active volcano). The Captain took his time with me to look at a map to see if we'd be passing Mount Stomboli at a time when we could see it in action. It was our best Med trip out of the three! We were so glad that we ended up on NCL Spirit. I see that it is the same itinerary that we did last year. It is a fantastic trip. Each place better than the next. Thanks for putting up with my long post! I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have. You can't go wrong with whichever you pick!!-Kade

We took a Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the NCL Jade last year. We regularly cruise Princess (elite), Holland America, Celebrity and Cunard. Have done NCL years ago before they went to freestyle.

Decided to book NCL because we liked the itinerary, 3 days in Israel and the price was a lot less, dropped further with a drop of Egyptian ports due to civil unrest in Egypt. We had an 11 night for $1600 pp, mini suite.

We have done at least 6 Mediterranean cruises over past 10 years... so we know the ports and have done cruises on various cruise lines.

Our experience on the JADE, newer NCL ship was okay. We skipped the MDR the entire cruise because they don't have traditional dining with a set time and table, which we prefer. We knew this going so we had this plan in mind if we could not negotiate with the Matre'd for what we wanted.

We also found the food and service in the MDR which we tried for lunch and dinner the first night only, not up to what we would expect on other lines. Staff very pleasant but we had to ask for everything 3 times both at lunch and dinner before we actually got what we wanted, staff had a tendency to say yes and just not deliver.

We were not motivated to try the speciality dining options which one pays extra for based on our experience in the MDR. We elected to simply have a late lunch from the buffet each day, we generally found something on the menu that was okay. Generally made a good salad and had a meat or fish dish. We don't cruise for food, we eat better at home.

The best surprise was we booked a mini suite cabin and we found it well layed out and very enjoyable. We typically took our lunch back to our cabin and enjoyed on our balcony.

NCL charges for any wine brought on board $15 a bottle at the time you board. They also don't want folks to bring on any food items from ports. This one thing that we did not like, as we typically like to buy nuts to enjoy with a drink in our cabin and in some Mediterranean ports we have favorite foods we like to purchase and bring back to our cabin.

All in all, we would cruise NCL again for the right itinerary and price. We did adjust our expectations before we went. Even though we would cruise NCL again, we do like Princess, Holland America, Cunard and Celebrity better.

One last thing, we found the casual dress on NCL in the Mediterranean very casual, more so than any other line... boarded on sloppy from our perspective. Regardless, NCL policy is dress as you wish, so we dressed up and enjoyed ourselves like we would on any cruise.

The Mediterranean is wonderful... I am sure you would love it no matter which ship. These cruises are very port intensive - especially if you have not been there before, therefore the ship is less important.

We can't decide which ship to book for a 12 night trip to Mediterranean & Venice. The Norwegian is almost half the price of the Princess ship but the itinerary is the same. What am I missing here?:confused:

To me it's a no brainier. I would choose NCL. The ports and the meals are the most important thing to me when cruising so I would suggest that you purchase the ultimate dining package from NCL and dine in a specialty restaurant every night. For about $200 per person for 12 nights it takes a cruise from banquet dining to fine dining especially if you eat most of your meals at the Steakhouse or the French Bistro. Many NCL regulars say that the Spirit is NCL 's most beautiful ship. I met a NCL staffer that told me the same thing. NCL wins best cruiseline for European cruises as well if I am remembering correctly.

NCL wins best cruiseline for European cruises as well if I am remembering correctly.

I'd be curious where you heard this. NCL certainly doesn't have innovative itineraries nor are their ratings higher than other lines -- more the opposite. Possibly they won from a value perspective?

I'd be curious where you heard this. NCL certainly doesn't have innovative itineraries nor are their ratings higher than other lines -- more the opposite. Possibly they won from a value perspective?

World Travel Awards is the site that I read it on. To many folks Europe is a once in a lifetime trip so they are not looking necessarily for an innovative itinarary but instead want to be able to visit cities like Rome, Venice, and Barcelona. Since this cruiser started out asking why one cruiseline ( same itinararies) is almost twice the price of another I think that value is probably another important component when it comes to an award for Europes best cruiseline as well.

World Travel Awards is the site that I read it on. To many folks Europe is a once in a lifetime trip so they are not looking necessarily for an innovative itinarary but instead want to be able to visit cities like Rome, Venice, and Barcelona. Since this cruiser started out asking why one cruiseline ( same itinararies) is almost twice the price of another I think that value is probably another important component when it comes to an award for Europes best cruiseline as well.

But almost every single cruise line that is active in the Med visits Rome, Venice, Barcelona, etc. There is no shortage of itineraries for the first time/only time cruiser offered by Celebrity, Princess, RCL, HAL. So I don't see how NCL would set itself apart to win a "Best in the Med" award based on itinerary, if you get what I'm saying....

I wouldn't knock NCL as a value experience, but having tried them once, they aren't for me.

But almost every single cruise line that is active in the Med visits Rome, Venice, Barcelona, etc. There is no shortage of itineraries for the first time/only time cruiser offered by Celebrity, Princess, RCL, HAL. So I don't see how NCL would set itself apart to win a "Best in the Med" award based on itinerary, if you get what I'm saying....

I wouldn't knock NCL as a value experience, but having tried them once, they aren't for me.

So if Princess is $2500pp and NCL Spirit is $1400pp plus $200 pp for the UDP you would still recommend Princess even though the 12 day European /med itinarary is the same? To me a savings of $900 pp which is $1800 per couple is a huge savings and on a 12 day itinarary there is probably 8 ports. $225 per couple per port would be what I would be saving my money for. You don't agree?

Edited by Karysa
Fofrgot "be"

That one had me scratching my head too. NCL best cruise line for Europe? Like cruisemom42, all I can think is price. When it comes to itineraries, I don't think any of the big lines can touch Princess and Holland America.

Edited by Aquahound

So if Princess is $2500pp and NCL Spirit is $1400pp plus $200 pp for the UDP you would still recommend Princess even though the 12 day European /med itinarary is the same? To me a savings of $900 pp which is $1800 per couple is a huge savings and on a 12 day itinarary there is probably 8 ports. $225 per couple per port would be what I would be saving my money for. You don't agree?

In that case, I would do as you said. I would book NCL and do the dining package in order to get decent meals.

But I'm still curious about the op's research. There's no other options? :confused:

That one had me scratching my head too. NCL best cruise line for Europe? Like cruisemom42, all I can think is price. When it comes to itineraries, I don't think any of the big lines can touch Princess and Holland America.

The OP said that the Princess and NCL itinararies are the same for the two cruises that she is comparing.

In that case, I would do as you said. I would book NCL and do the dining package in order to get decent meals.

But I'm still curious about the op's research. There's no other options? :confused:

To me the MDR food on NCL is more than decent. What I like about the UDP is the intimacy of the specialty restaurants as well as the great food and personal service. I am not a fan of the banquet style and this is how I describe MDR's on main stream cruiselines.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my question! Although...I am still undecided on what to do. We want to see Barcelona, Rome, Venice, and Athens and I could only find 2 cruises for June 2015 on Norwegian and Princess. We usually cruise on Royal Caribbean out of Florida (our home) but we have used Princess in northern Europe and have been pleased with both cruiselines. I just can't figure out why the Norwegian Balcony room is $1000 less per person than Princess and would it be worth the extra money to sail on Princess???

Princess is definitely a step....or two.....above NCL. We have sailed both and would definitely choose Princess in a heart beat over NCL even if it is more expensive. It is like comparing apples to oranges.....just my opinion tho! ;)

I said I wouldn't knock NCL as a value line, but I think people need to be aware that it's a different experience. I have read MANY reviews (so it is not merely my own opinion) that the MDR food on NCL is simply not the same level one gets on Princess (or HAL or Celebrity). It has been posted by a cruise line employee that NCL spends among the lowest per passenger per day on food.

If you are asking what I personally would do, I wouldn't consider NCL. I'd book a lesser category cabin on Princess as my cabin is not important to me. (I am happy with Princess' food and entertainment.) I do ports on my own using public transportation wherever possible, so the amount I spend in port is nothing like $115 for a day, usually.

I said I wouldn't knock NCL as a value line, but I think people need to be aware that it's a different experience. I have read MANY reviews (so it is not merely my own opinion) that the MDR food on NCL is simply not the same level one gets on Princess (or HAL or Celebrity). It has been posted by a cruise line employee that NCL spends among the lowest per passenger per day on food.

If you are asking what I personally would do, I wouldn't consider NCL. I'd book a lesser category cabin on Princess as my cabin is not important to me. (I am happy with Princess' food and entertainment.) I do ports on my own using public transportation wherever possible, so the amount I spend in port is nothing like $115 for a day, usually.

I am going on my first Celebrity cruise in September and my first HAL in about 15 years and I would go on Princess any time to try it out if the Itinarary and Price are right. The only line of Carnival, NCL, RCL and Costa that I tried and dislike the food is RCL because I find the food too salty and the desserts too jellyfish and tasteless. We have a Greek Island cruise planned for May and like you we don't care about the accomadating and booked an inside cabin and we like the atmosphere of the specialty restaurants especially when it's just the two of us on vacation so we booked the UDP. We booked 3 meals at The French, 2 at the steakhouse and one each at Tempanyaki and the Brazilian restaurants.

I have read where cruisers spend $400 plus each on an excursion to Rome so to some people including myself I would like to save money on the cabin and use it on excursions especially in Europe.

I have read where cruisers spend $400 plus each on an excursion to Rome so to some people including myself I would like to save money on the cabin and use it on excursions especially in Europe.

That's just stupid expensive, especially when it's so easy to take the train into Rome on your own for 12 euro roundtrip (which also includes using the metro and bus system around Rome all day). Throw in about 30 euro worth of pre-reserved admissions for the Colosseum and Vatican museum, and you've got a very reasonable day on your own.

I learned to DIY when I first started traveling to Europe and had less money. Now, I simply prefer it. (I avoid ship tours like the plague after a couple of terrible experiences in Europe.)

Edited by cruisemom42

I thought Celebrity and RCCL won for Europe? Maybe its only UK cruisers.

I think Princess and NCL gof or different markets with different expectations. I would book NCL over Princess in heartbeat (esp with the saving) as we are a young couple. When I checked I found the prices to be not as different as you stated so maybe they have changed.

I was all set to book the Jade around the Med this summer then saw a Panama Canal summer cruise so that was decided then. :)

Edited by Velvetwater

A Mediterranean cruise is all about the ports and less about the ships. I would not hesitate to book the NCL Spirit and am considering the Barcelona to Venice cruise this fall. I find both lines have more in common than not. I will say that the staff on all my NCL cruises have been "more friendly & eager to please" than that of Princess. When we did the western Mediterranean in 2008 we did DIY tours except for Rome. We just felt more comfortable with an excursion as we wanted to see multiple sites without the stress. I prefer to save money and DIY, but I know my limitations. The savings on NCL will pay for those excursions that you do not want to DIY.

I had never heard of World Travel Awards before, so I did a little research.

About World Travel Awards:

http://www.consumertraveler.com/today/american-airlines-jfk-get-bogus-travel-agent-awards/

:cool:

Air Canada wins All sorts of awards as well and I know more people that try to avoid using them than those that choose them first.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Ohhh, you've chosen an excellent itinerary! Truly a trip of a lifetime :cool:.

My apologies for this embarrassingly long post. The Grand Med. cruise was my latest cruise, and it truly was a cruise that made stops in places I've always dreamed of going, and some places I didn't know a thing about.

I haven't cruised on Princess, or any other line besides Carnival and NCL, so I won't trash them. You are an adult and can make up your own mind on what works for you and your sailing companion(s). All you need is facts. You will be going on this cruise and should feel good about any ship/cruise line you choose now, and possibly someday in the future.

I will tell you the positives of sailing this itinerary on an NCL ship, as my husband and I did this itinerary last summer -

12 Day Grand Mediterranean:

Spain. Port of Barcelona. We went to the La Ramblas, Sagrada Familia, and Park Guell.

France - Port of Toulon - you can stay there and explore or go to other areas of France. We did an excursion to St. Tropez and Grimaud.,

Italy - Port of Civitavvechia - We stayed in Rome and went on an excursion to the Vatican and Sistine Chapel.,

Italy - Port of Naples. There are oodles of places you can go on here! We did an excursion that stops at Pompeii, Positano, and Sorrento.

Italy - Port of Livorno. At this stop we went on an excursion that took us past Carerra - where the marble comes from, while on our way to the beautiful chain of coastal towns that make up the Cinque Terra.

Turkey - Port of Istanbul. Lots of interesting places to see in and around Istanbul. We went with others fabulous people (hopefully friends smile from the Meet and Greet group to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Cistern, and the Grand Bazaar. Try to pre-order tickets to the attractions that allow it. It will save you much needed time during your visit here. If possible, get some Lire ahead of time too. There was an ATM near by, but the line to use it clicked away too much of our time. Lesson learned (smile).

Turkey - Port of Izmir. Imir has recently been changed to Kusadaisi, Turkey which is actually a good change because it's closer to Ephesus and other places of interest, so more time at the excursion site of your choice -yay!

Greece - Port of Mykonos. We stayed in town, looking at the water, stores, and Windmills.

Greece - Port of Athens. There was to be a strike in Athens the day we were going to be there, so NCL made arrangements with Dubrovnik, Croatia. We actually wanted to go to Croatia someday, so the the change was okay with us :). We'll just have to take another European cruise someday :cool:. What a hardship, right? In Dubrovnik we walked the wall that goes around the old town. Such beautiful scenery.

Italy - Port of Venice. A dream come true! Hubby and I explored the city on our own. The highlight for me - In the evening, musicians play in various areas of St. Mark's Square. I got chills when one of the groups played music from my favorite play, Phantom of the Opera! I still get the biggest, goofiest smile on my face just thinking about it! Surprisingly, the Square wasn't crowded when we stopped by. Shrug.

Now, on to the ship and why we enjoyed sailing on her for this itinerary:

Dining - We didn't have a set time and table for any of our meals. We could eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner where we wanted, when we wanted (except some venues if there are some set aside for the higher-end suites patrons. We've never sailed in any of them, so have never even looked to see if NCL Spirit has this/these, sorry). I love being able to make my dining choices on the spur-of-the moment. And choosing what I want to eat (some items vary depending on venue), and if I want to be pampered or not, if I want to pay for a change of venue and its accompanying menu or not. We can ask to be seated with other diners who wish to have company for dinner, or we can sit by ourselves, or we can dine with people from the Meet and Greet, or with people we meet around the ship, during activities, or excursions. It's our vacation and we can have all the control that's possible over how it goes. The flexibility is very cool anyway, but especially when doing an exceptionally hectic and full itinerary! There are also places to get food 24 hours a day! Room service (nominal fee during certain hours), complementary main dining rooms and buffet(s), one of the pubs that serve food, the specialty restaurants, pizza delivery for a nominal fee of $5, and a coffee stand that serves free and for-fee coffees, etc. as well as assorted pastries and such.

There are fabulous seating areas at the back of the ship, where we spent a lot of time when pulling out of ports, grabbing something to drink, getting some shade, taking in the views,...

The ship isn't too little and not too big. Easy to get around. Has a fabulous lounge at the front of the ship to take in the views and enjoy activities. The entertainment is quite good, but then maybe we've fairly easy to please (smile).

You said NCL's price wasn't as high, maybe you could use that savings to choose another category of cabin, or apply it to the very many excursions that are possible with this itinerary, new cruise clothes, an extra day at the beginning or end of the cruise, or some extra souvenirs.

So many choices, so little vacation time, lol! Have fun planning and dreaming of your trip. I sincerely don't think you can go wrong with any ship or cruise line you choose! You just have to sort through all the information everyone on this thread, other threads, cruise line website information, books, etc. have to say and see what matches up with how you want to cruise.

Edited by Azure Moon

Dining - We didn't have a set time and table for any of our meals. We could eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner where we wanted, when we wanted (except some venues if there are some set aside for the higher-end suites patrons. We've never sailed in any of them, so have never even looked to see if NCL Spirit has this/these, sorry). I love being able to make my dining choices on the spur-of-the moment. And choosing what I want to eat (some items vary depending on venue), and if I want to be pampered or not, if I want to pay for a change of venue and its accompanying menu or not. We can ask to be seated with other diners who wish to have company for dinner, or we can sit by ourselves, or we can dine with people from the Meet and Greet, or with people we meet around the ship, during activities, or excursions. It's our vacation and we can have all the control that's possible over how it goes. The flexibility is very cool anyway, but especially when doing an exceptionally hectic and full itinerary! There are also places to get food 24 hours a day! Room service (nominal fee during certain hours), complementary main dining rooms and buffet(s), one of the pubs that serve food, the specialty restaurants, pizza delivery for a nominal fee of $5, and a coffee stand that serves free and for-fee coffees, etc. as well as assorted pastries and such.

In the interest of fairness, I just want to point out to the OP that Princess also offers you the flexibility to eat when, where and with who you want, IN ADDITION TO offering the traditional cruise experience of fixed dining if you prefer it. It's called "Anytime Dining", and nearly all lines offer something similar. :cool:

Of course, Princess also offers room service and the buffet is also open almost around the clock (more hours than HAL or Celebrity, for example).

In the interest of fairness, I just want to point out to the OP that Princess also offers you the flexibility to eat when, where and with who you want, IN ADDITION TO offering the traditional cruise experience of fixed dining if you prefer it. It's called "Anytime Dining", and nearly all lines offer something similar. :cool:

Of course, Princess also offers room service and the buffet is also open almost around the clock (more hours than HAL or Celebrity, for example).

Exactly. Al the major cruise lines went to an Anytime option years ago, yet some people still seem to think only NCL does it.

However, to be honest, my absolute worst dining experiences concerning wait times and chaos have been with NCL and Princess. I have been choosing Anytime dining since its inception years ago and only on NCL and Princess have I been handed a pager and made to wait 30+ minutes.

NCL room service is the worst. There are no hot options on the breakfast menu. At least, not as of last year. Princess' is pretty limited as well, but at least they offer a hot breakfast sandwich.