Themed nights in the buffet

tjcletsgo

I've only sailed with Princess on one 4-day cruise but am booked on a 10 day Sea of Cortez in November. I keep reading here about "themed" night in the Horizon Court. Can someone please give me more info about this?

Thanks so much! :D

I've only sailed with Princess on one 4-day cruise but am booked on a 10 day Sea of Cortez in November. I keep reading here about "themed" night in the Horizon Court. Can someone please give me more info about this?

Thanks so much! :D

Theme meals are shown in the Princess Patter. Basically, they might have a Mexican night with Mexican selections at the buffet, or maybe have Asian or Italian night. You have to watch for them. To me they are nice, but nothing really special. Some nights they may also have the "Crab Shack" buckets of seafood, which has a $20 surcharge, in a section of the buffet seating area.

We have never seen mention of buffet theme nights in the Patter. However, on our latest cruise, we asked a head waiter about them. We were told that a Mexican buffet would be held that current night and that Bavarian buffet would be the next day. The Mexican buffet did not happen :mad: but the Bavarian night was terrific! :) We had wiener schnitzel, spaetzle, red cabbage, and several types of sausages and pastries.

We have never seen mention of buffet theme nights in the Patter. However, on our latest cruise, we asked a head waiter about them. We were told that a Mexican buffet would be held that current night and that Bavarian buffet would be the next day. The Mexican buffet did not happen :mad: but the Bavarian night was terrific! :) We had wiener schnitzel, spaetzle, red cabbage, and several types of sausages and pastries.

Ohhh, Bavarian night sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's on my bucket list for this cruise! Thank you so much for this info!:D

I noticed them last cruise on the back page of the patter, under the dining options section.

Yes, us also. The Dep. Cruise Director puts together the Patter each day. If the dining department doesn't notify the DCD regarding the theme nights then they would not appear. This does happen.

Some ships have them announced in the patter; others do not. I learned the hard way:(. Bavarian night has been good. Others; about average. You may want to go up and ask one of the section waiters (green jackets) if there is a special night. Do not rely on the patter-AS it was stated if the CD does not get the word it is not listed.

I would turn down the MDR any night of the week for German Night at the buffet. :D

Love the schnitzel, spaetzle, red cabbage and especially the bread station that evening. The large soft pretzels are a must!!!!

We never miss the "Bavarian Bierfest Dinner Buffet". It's always mentioned on the back page of the Patter under the dining guide section. Just keep looking each day as it can take place any day of the week. After eating all the great German sausages, cabbage, etc., don't forget the German desserts The strudel is awesome!

Yes, us also. The Dep. Cruise Director puts together the Patter each day. If the dining department doesn't notify the DCD regarding the theme nights then they would not appear. This does happen.
And even then, where this information is put into the Patter varies from ship to ship. I've seen it in the main listings at the time the buffet opens. And I've also seen it listed on Page 4 in the Dining Guide.

Here's an example using the Patter from Royal Princess showing that it was Italian Night buffet in the Horizon Court:

11198741933_58de928d5e_b.jpg

Italian Night in the Horizon Court looks amazing!!! Lots of different focaccia, calamari, calzone, frittata, stuffed arancini, risotto, tortellini al pesto, penne, peasant pasta, lasagnas, shrimp, salmon, cheese bread, and pizza. Wow!!!

Gonna eat, check out what's going on for entertainment, and later an adult beverage of some sorts.

Ciao for now!!! :D

The food was still pretty tasty but not really at the high quality level of what you might expect in the Main Dining Room on an Italian Night freshly prepared instead of buffet style.

Edited by dmwnc1959